Anyone know what is the best 4K Samsung TV available for around $500?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr Kain, May 3, 2020.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm looking to get a new TV and I want to stick with Samsung. Obviously, if I'm going to get a new TV, I might as well go for 4K. However, I'm not sure what is the best TV for the best price. I'm looking for something around $500ish, but I want to make sure I am going to get my money's worth. Yes, I know you might tell me to just google up the specs, and that is great and all, but that doesn't really help me because specs are just that, specs. I'd rather just go into a store and look at the TVs in person, but that obviously isn't possible at this point in time, so I figured I'd see if there were any 4KTV experts here.

2. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

They're all the same, really. Obviously, there are color differences with OLED and SuperOLED and what not...

But all you really need to know is the refresh rate and to make sure its the actual/native refresh rate, because some TVs will claim a certain refresh rate, and in the small print, mention that it's achieved through software, not hardware.

You want a legitimate 120hz refresh rate. Some Samsung models will require you to buy a 240hz TV to get an actual 120hz, because Samsung uses software to enhance their frame rate and advertises higher numbers. Other companies advertise the native/hardware rate directly.

Just pick a TV and follow up on the details before purchasing. Make sure its what you need and what you think it is.

If the TV is smaller (50 and under) it won't be so noticeable. If you get into bigger models, like my 70 inch, the refresh rate is really noticeable between 60hz and 120hz tv models

3. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I ended up going with this Samsung TV called the Crystal UHD.

[​IMG]

The remote sucks though. It's this tiny ass thing with like 6 buttons on it and any time I want to change HDMI ports I have to constantly go through the home page, click though all of these apps, go up past another app, and then select the port I want. I wish I could just press a button and choose which source I want.

The picture looks fantastic once I played around with the settings to calibrate it. My biggest test on a TV has always been the yellow on The Simpsons, so I watched Cape Feare to see if I got my settings right and I did. :lol 

I did glance at Predator and it's nice that they finally remastered the movie properly so the characters don't look like wax figures anymore. :rock :rock :rock 

• Like Like x 3
  4. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I think I have the same model TV in my kitchen, just a few yrs older. Should work well.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Looks like a decent TV. Congrats!

The only drawback that would have kept me from pulling the trigger was no sign of Dolby Vision processing (in which the media usually gets paired with ATMOS), which is the main HDR format being pushed right now. This probably supports HDR10+, which is Samsung's counter format...but I stream a lot from Netflix and the like so I personally prefer that. That's why I opted for the Hisense H8F on my last purchase. And I'm still using my Vizio downstairs that has DV too...it still looks fantastic!

I haven't seen the Crystal UHD displays yet...but I'm thinking it's probably Samsung's response to Hisense and TCL offering their sets with pictures nearing OLED quality on a budget so I imagine it's a fine television!

In the future, I do recommend giving Vizio a hard look. The reason they are cheaper is because they ditch the television tuner, not because of the electronics.

6. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Is Vizio better these days? I thought they were some of the worst TVs out there back in the mid 2000s. When I worked at Best Buy they had the highest return ratio compared to every other brand.

Not sure what you mean about Dolby Vision though as I use a receiver for my audio, not the TV speakers. As such, I'll be getting a new receiver that plays Atmos, Vision, and all of the new stuff next year. At least, that is the hope.

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought a 50 inch Samsung UHD at Best Buy two years ago and I have been happy. I notice that I get a more UHD picture with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but not with cable. I was told you can get btter UHD broadcast with Direct TV and Dish Network while cable companies like Cox, Spectrum, Comcast are lagging behind still broadcasting 720 or 1080.

8. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I have 2 60 inch Vizio TVs they are great

9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The problem is Comcast is the only company here in Colorado that has good internet, so it's cheaper to have internet and cable packaged together than separately. Plus, my apartment faces in the exact opposite direction from Direct TV's satellite.

Anyway, I watched the 4K version of WInter Soldier today and had to fix my settings because the scenes in the dark were really dark. Like I couldn't even see Cap jump out of the plane in the opening bit, but then when I changed it, I must have done something wrong because the sky in DC was always white or gray and never blue. I guess I'm going to have to watch some more movies and play around with it a bit more, but I hate that I haven't gotten this calibrated right already.