Anyone here hate the Animated Optimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by dare, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If you want to tell a good story that promotes real growth of character, then I don't think 8 episodes of a first season is nearly enough to time to do so. I think you're being a little unfair.

2. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

I agree. We're only about 8-9 episodes in and as many have noticed, characters get thier own spot to shine. He doesn't even have that one yet. Read the episode synopsis again on the show. This Prime is not BW or G1 Prime etc. He's starting as a washout and is supposed to be a much younger version of OP. If being inexperienced/greenhorn or immature is what people call dweeby, then yes he is.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

The way I see it, good character development should be continuous. It shouldn't matter if they've had 3 episodes or 100, they could still be developing the characters theoretically forever. However, I do think you need to have some sense of who your characters are early on in the story, especially your main character(s). Now from the episodes I've seen, they do appear to be holding back on Prime's development and have only given out bit and pieces so far. Presumably they're trying to build suspense for when they do finally make a dive into his character.

Personally, I have to say I just don't care for this show. I did watch several episodes, and I just think there is so much they could improve upon. However, I also have to admit I do think they have some cool ideas going on in the story.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

I agree, but as I mentioned in my last post, we've SEEN some things of interest from Prime. And I'm pretty sure tomorrow's episode gives us some insight into good old Op.

5. Sparky Prime

I know they've given us some development on Prime and I mentioned it in my post as well. However, my point was that they seem to be holding back on developing Prime as they haven't really focused in on him as of yet. I wouldn't count on the next episode giving us much if anything new on Prime either given what the episode description on CN's site says....

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow :) 

7. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

And thank God if it is Along Came A Spider. Been such a long time and this section has been so inactive without any new episodes.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    come on new episode!

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, my cable guide has said all week that tomorrow's episode is, indeed, Along Came A Spider.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally really like Animated Prime. It's nice to see him younger and unexperienced, instead of the older and smarter Prime's. It's really nice to see him trying to proove himself as a good leader, and in doing so becoming a good leader. Even if I did dislike the character, I wouldn't say that I hated him, as he's just a character on a show. I don't really see how I could hate something I don't have to put up with, when I could just change the channel to something different.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Do I hate him? No.
    Am I bored with him so far? Yeah pretty much
    G1 Prime will always be THE Optimus Prime so you kind of have to take it on its own and not compare. Honestly you can't compare because then you can't watch Animated. I really am just going to keep watching and hope that he gets more development in the show. Tomorrow is a new episode so maybe that will lead to some more development of his character.

PS On a further note I still think he is better than several other Primes. RID anyone? *shudder*

12. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I've read on the Allspark about tomorrow's episode nobody is gonna be giving Prime any big-ups for a while.

13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    AHA! SEE?! Character Development!

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think this could be said for almost the whole cast until they get their "FOCUS" episode.

I had an initial bad reaction to Prowl, but since the opener, we have had 2 prowl-focused episodes and lots of other interactions which make me more understand and like the character. I thought Ratchet's episode was great.

Right now, we don't know much about Prime. Imagine watching a sitcom about an office and Prime is the manager who is always in his office and comes out for story plot but other than that we don't see him much.

Until we actually see stories about his background personality flaws or his action on his own, he is generic team leader archtype. I suspect we will see some character development which willd efine prime for us.

15. Sparky Prime

Err... That sounds like a lack of character development to me.

16. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Heh. Just wait.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    In short Animated Prime is awesome.

As much as I love G1 Prime, (his single handed ass kicking of the entire Decepticon force in the Movie is one of my all time movie sequence favorites), geez people.

Animated Prime is a young Prime. Even that Prime BECAME Prime after being a factory worker. He is obviously the leader of the bots he commands, but he is growing into the role. And for once, it seems, that the Autobots will not win (if they do) by sheer GOD FIGHTING ANGRY RIGHTEOUS OPTIMUS PRIME POWER!!!

An invincible hero is BORING. Like Superman. Unless they have Kryptonite, he going to kick your ass (apologies to Doomsday). Batman actually risks something everytime he fights.

G1 Prime, (sans the movie) was unbeatable and unkillable. This Prime gets his ass handed to him in more ways than one. It is this that makes him so interesting, he will DEVELOP into ass kicking Prime, and that is far more interesting. (remember how great the first Matrix was, and then they sucked?)

Animated Prime is not G1 prime. They never said he was. And he never will be. But he is a great and interesting Prime of his own.

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't dislike TFA Prime at all, I just wish he sounded more like a leader when he says, "Transform and roll out." A few times he said it, he almost sounds bored.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Having just seen 'Along Came a Spider' I think Prime finally got his episode. Seems Ratchet isn't the one with a monopoly on bad memories from the old days, although his is probably worse.

I still think Prime needs to man up a bit, cos Megatron is coming and soon. They need to be ready and this ep was a step in the right direction.