Anyone here going to AX?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Dr Kain, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone here is going to AX?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    What is AX and when and where is it?

3. Dr Kain

Anime Expo and it is in LA.

4. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Did it once and that was enough. Won't lie, the exhibition hall was nothing short of amazing. IMO, the only worthwhile cons going to in Cali are SDCC and Equestria LA (only cause I haven't been to either one yet)

5. Dr Kain

What's Equestria?

6. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Ponies?

7. Dr Kain

YUCK!!

Anyway, here are my pictures of our first day in LA. Obviously AX has not started yet, but my god the prereg line was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

Day 1 Slideshow by DrKainn | Photobucket

8. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

Been to SDCC three times, EQLA twice and going to AX for the first time this weekend. Possibly Friday and Saturday but I need to check with the lady on the agenda.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  9. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I might need to check this out Friday just for the ppl watching. Never been before.

10. Shogen

Shogen Wreck and Rule

I'm at AX all this week anyone else here?

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am going tomorrow. Hopefully the wait for badge won't be too long. I'll be wearing Dodgers cap with a black T so hit me up if you see me. :) 

12. Dr Kain

13. Dr Kain

Well, I hate to say this, but AX is single handily the second worst convention I have ever been to. The staff is rude, they have no idea what is going on because no one communicates with each other, not a single panel or autograph session has started on time, they are very disorganized, you ask one of them a question and they either give you a completely different answer from the guy before or they just tell you they don't know, etc. It has ruined my enjoyment of this convention as a whole and I doubt anything is going to change tomorrow. I was really looking forward to it and I don't feel I have gotten even half of my money's worth out of it. I should NOT have to line up 3 hours before a panel just to have a chance to maybe getting into it. In fact, they should NOT be letting people line up that early for a panel!!

Anyway, my camera charger was retrieved as someone turned it in to Lost and Found. With that said, here are my pics from today:

Day 3:

Day 3 Slideshow by DrKainn | Photobucket

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I only stayed for 4 hours mostly taking pics of the cosplayers. None of the booths interest me (didn't know where Bluefin was at). I guess it's not really worth the $65 I paid for the ticket and parking but at least I saw some amazing cosplayers.

15. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    I take it this is your first time going? Considering it's the SDCC of the anime community, I don't think you have any right to complain about said issues. Have you ever volunteered for a con this big? You'll find out very quick that with so much going on, it's very tough to keep every member of the staff up to speed on everything thats going on. Even smaller conventions are plagued by these problems. If you quit complaining and stop to realize how many panels/guests/etc there are and seeing how much they're trying to accommodate everything the best they can, you might just have an ounce of sympathy/ respect for them. I had slightly the same experience, but the only difference is that I took it for what it was worth and had the time of my life. Cons are only as fun as you make them to be.

16. Dr Kain

I paid $60 for the con, I have every right to complain when the staff don't have their **** together and I don't feel like I am getting my money's worth. My g/f has a similar job and she would be fired instantly if she pulled the crap they are pulling here.

When one person tells you the back of the line is in one place, another tells you it is in another place, and then 15 minutes later another staffer says the line you were sent in is for something else, and you have to go to the BACK of the actual line, there is a problem. There is no communication between the staff at all. They have no idea of why a guest is an hour late for an autograph session (nor did they even know until we said something), why a panel hasn't started 40 minutes after its set time, etc.

I should NOT have to get in line 3 hours before a panel just to possibly get into it. They should NOT allow a line to start until one hour beforehand. And if they are going to move a line, they should be telling the FRONT of the line first, NOT the back of it, so those who were there an hour before those in the back do not get sent to the BACK of it.

THis is a disorganized mess. There is this thing called a walkie talkie that every employee should have.

17. Dr Kain

Well Day 4 was full of both disappointments and enjoyment. Got some great pictures of the Toku cosplayers during their photoshoot, got to see Ghost in the Shell Arise, along with got most of the autographs I wanted, and got to have a nice talk with one of the managers about how I felt about the management of the con and he pretty much agreed with me "as a non-manager" and said the new owners are dragging the con down year by year to the point that he might not return next year.

With that said, not all of the pictures have uploaded, but here is the slideshow link:

Day 4:

Day 4 Slideshow by DrKainn | Photobucket

18. Dr Kain

The Final Day

Day 5 Slideshow by DrKainn | Photobucket

OVerall, despite my frustrations, I am glad to have experienced both LA and AX. In the long run, I did enjoy myself, but for everything good, there was something bad. Not sure if I will ever go back to AX again, and I'm not sure I ever want to go back to LA, but like I said, getting to experience it was fantastic.