Anyone get sick of collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by darqen, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil TFW2005 Supporter

Sometimes it can be, I'm never sick of toys, I'm sick of humans!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jhund

Jhund Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I am sick of the dust ...like where do you come from.

• Like Like x 2
  3. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

It tired me out having to keep looking for a siege ratchet and as much as I like him i think it's the most I've ever paid for a deluxe

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Ive purged my collection twice....once when i was trying to save my shop and i brought in a bunch of it as inventory, the next when i found a couple boxes that i just didnt care about when i looked at them in storage. This thread has inspired the 3rd. With all the boxes i have...im going to go through my storage and anything that doesnt go into the display is going for sale. If i dont want to display it i clearly dont care enough about it and storing it is just a waste.

Ive regretted very little of what i sold so far. And im happier with the much more unified style of my display (anything that came from Microman or Diaclone is in MP, the rest is CHUG) and eliminating 99% of the duplicate characters looks better to ME.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'm not tired of collecting, but I'm tired of having to wait endlessly to be able to buy the characters I care about while Hasbro is pedling the same characters to us over and over again.

I mean, I'm saving a lot of money thanks to Cyberverse, Siege and Earthrise. But the waiting game is tiresome.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

If I can get through one of each original toy in the new Generations>on lines I’ll quit. Even that is too much but I’ll get rid of almost everything else I have once that happens

7. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

I've been having good think and sort out, and after much deciding have made a list of everything I'd like to round out my definitive G1 cartoon cast-list, anyone else have any idea what it would take to finish? I'm going off the idea that Earthrise and WFC3 will be focusing on series 2 and 3 of the cartoon. I'm also not including anyone who we are pretty certain we'll be getting, e.g. Inferno, Trailbreaker, the rest of the seekers. I'm mostly after season 1 or 2 completion, season 3 I'm not as bothered about so for the most part i would be happy with just the Rodimus and Kup, I wouldnt be too bothered about the Decepticon leaders.

Deluxe
    Brawn
    Bumblebee - hopefully a definitive G1 BB
    Gears
    Huffer
    Windcharger
    Warpath
    Wheelie
    Jazz - POTP was a lot more cartoon accurate but I suspect Siege might pull a new one out
    Sunstreaker
    Skids
    Tracks
    Perceptor - this is tentative - I'm not sure what else you can do for Perceptor - the titans one pretty much did the job
    Runabout
    Runamuck
    Blurr
    Kup

Potentials - if WFC did new versions I would probably get them but if not I'm happy with my legends versions
    Beachomber
    Cosmos
    Seaspray
    Powerglide
    Bombshell
    Kickback
    Shrapnel

Voyager
    Blaster
    Blitzwing
    Sandstorm
    Octane
    Cyclonus
    Scourge

Leader
    Rodimus
    Galvatron

Micromasters
    Buzzsaw and Frenzy
    Eject and Rewind
    Ramhorn and Steeljaw

Commander
    Skylynx
    Broadside

Titan
    Dunno if this would happen but a Titan Dinobot set

8. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I'm not sick of collecting, but I am sick of waiting for certain characters to be produced so I can complete my collection.

I'm primarily a G1 Masterpiece collector, so it's a bit frustrating seeing a great many repaints made while untapped characters remain on ice. I used to be a Takara Tomy-exclusive collector, but the long waits in between new issuances pushed me to dabble in 3rd party offerings. I just want to be done with collecting, but time and time again, we're getting new versions of existing characters (Prime, Bumblebee, etc.) and diaclone repaints (Cordon, Smokescreen, Nemesis Prime, etc.). I'm guessing that we'll see a new version of the seekers next as opposed to something new like Galvatron, Trailbreaker or Blaster.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Yeah, between the brand's focusing on G1, me getting more interested in other stuff, and that general feeling of having too much junk, there's definitely that feeling like I should check out or cut severely back on things.

... but getting rid of everything can be such a hassle, though. Physically organizing it all, researching prices, taking photos (and having to relearn how to transform them), actually getting sales and mailing things out, and that terrible debate over whether I'll regret selling any given item...

10. maverick10126

maverick10126 Active Member

I've been pretty fortunate in that when I make a decision to sell something, there hasn't been an instance where I've regretted and wanted to re-acquire that figure. Once you have a few of those under your belt that you don't miss...well the floodgates open. You find that most stuff you really don't want anymore. That doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad purchase, maybe you did enjoy it at one point and now you just don't anymore.

How many are really your favorites?

11. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

I'm not sick of collecting.

Pointblank
    Sureshot
    Eject
    Steeljaw
    Snapdragon
    Scorponok
    Runabout
    Runamuck

Totally not sick of collecting those, though I'd really like to be.

12. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they keep making cool stuff then no I won’t get sick of it. Though anymore I am very selective though. If it is something that strikes my fancy then yeah I will go for it.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I'm at a point where I can't display everything. My collection is on two bookshelves...the rest are in boxes and tubs. .... Probably time to cut some figures loose.

14. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't describe my feeling as "sick" but more "exhausted". Been at this since January 2013 without stopping for longer than 2 - 3 months per year. Six years going on seven. I have an ending in sight and I've wanted this for years.

Collecting started as a form of emotional therapy but slowly transformed from a hobby of expression to an endless vortex of uncontrollable spending and years of lost capital I can't ever make back. It's affected my relationships and my progression through life. I like it but, simultaneously, I feel guilty about it. I want it to be useful and healthy again like it felt the first time i started it. A hiatus is in order.

So after 2020, that's my goal. I want to explore again. There's more to life than this, and i want to explore it. So many things you want to do, so little time, and collecting doesn't deserve more than one more year.

If i come back, it has to be for healthy reasons. But yes, it's been a blast.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Thread lurker

Thread lurker Banned

As much as a I love the siege line, I’m getting tired of generation 1. And I stopped collecting MPs due to Takaras weird fetish for completely remaking characters that have already decent masterpiece versions of them. Like prime,bumblebee,wheeljack etc. They could have worked on characters that needed an improved figure like starscream or tracks who had lackluster mp figures imo. And l I hate how they are constantly shifting styles of there figures making it inconsistent. Most 3rd party companies aren’t helping either. It’s usally the same character that already had a decent masterpiece styled figure over and over again. I hope 3rd party companies will soon shift away from generation 1 for more original ideas for characters outside of it. Honestly what’s keeping my interest in collecting is the studio series line and a couple of other 3rd party products along with characters that needs an updated chug figure.

16. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Deep, slow inhale..........
    No.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***MACROSS ROOKiE*** (aka Noob.!)

Just remember folks: All good things come to an end one day. Personally for me I started feeling as if I don't care anymore for the hobby/collection this year. I've always been saying but it's like as if the magic and excitement regardless if it's Official or 3rd party is gone. Sometimes I ask myself WTF am I doing spend X-Amount on whatever if I don't get the joy outta it anymore like I use too. It was fun when I started 6 years ago or so but getting close to selling my collection. I'll see how i feel come 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  18. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As for Cybervese yeah I just walk by those. I do like the Earthrise figures they do look great. Though know what you mean. I had difficulty finding the Generations Wheeljack when he came out. Then I got him and was like uhm ok he’s cool. Now we get the Earthrise one which looks a lot better. Well dang.

19. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Quick answer.......sick of collecting Transformers? For now, yes. Never thought I'd see the day but I'm in a serious rut and it's gonna take something special to pull me back in.

Sick of collecting in general? Sadly no....don't wanna know how many thousands I burned on other toylines, books, t-shirts, collectibles, LPs, posters, etc. this year.

TF is on the back burner, but I'm still spending like a madman on the stuff I love. Damn internet makes it too easy!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I remember someone stating once: "At some point you have to say: good enough is good enough."
    I'm as tempted by Earthrise Hoist and the expectation of a Trailbreaker as the next person. But in the end I really like my T30 guys with the X2toys upgrade kit and I don't want to replace them.

• Like Like x 1