Anyone get sick of collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by darqen, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

Hey All, i find myself lately feeling like this is a question that's been preying on me a lot. Wondering if Hasbro will ever actually complete the G1 cast - I know we are now getting what you would say are the 'definitive versions' of characters, but I'm starting to feel like we'll never reach the end. I've been with the classics series since it first started in 2005, and I've updated each and every character, but now as shocked as I am I'm starting to feel like I'm coming to the end of my love of transformers collecting and that I'm slowly burning out. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same / is anyone else getting sick of transformers collecting / ever felt this way?

• Like Like x 10
  2. cgmckeever

cgmckeever New Member

SO MANY YES .. I have 30 years of clutter -- it turned more into accumulating over collecting. Im trying to pull it back, and focus on DISPLAYING what I have more over than trying to get everything. This way I can enjoy it, and it lends itself less to just aimless accumulation.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I really want to get out and be "done" with my collection, but I feel like there will always be one or two characters that could be better. I may never have the perfect Tracks or Blaster, but I'll keep waiting and then Hasbro adds in something fun to get me hooked on the rest of the line. I'm hoping Earth Rise will give us a retool of Siege Soundwave as Blaster and more cassettes and a good Tracks.

But yeah I'm ready to stop collecting...

• Like Like x 6
  4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I feel like this occasionally. I do think i likely only have a few years of collecting left before i just declare it 'as good as its going to get'. Mostly because there are a lot of characters i want that i just dont see Hasbro updating (mostly the untouched late G1 and the original characters from G2)...so i may just dig the originals out and return them to the display.

Im not going to buy another Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Starscream or any other 84-85 guy who isnt an Omnibot. I have those guys in abundance. The only Megatrons Im likely to ever buy are a Battlestars version or a perfect update of the G2 Green one.

I used to keep it fresh because i collected a lot of other lines as well...so as my interest in TFs waned I concentrated on Godzilla, Micronauts, ChoGoKin....but now im seeing the ends of the roads there as well. I got rid of collections that i lost interest in (Hot Toys, superheroes, wrestling, Star Wars). Once X-Plus gives us Mecha King Ghidorah, Megaguiras and an adult Battra my Godzilla collection is DONE! GoDaiKin, Shogun Warriors, Starriors, and Exosquad are done. I stopped with Power Rangers a few years ago when i finally stopped liking the robot designs. Micronauts is done and with the promos Hasbro has shown their NEW Micronauts looks like Ben 10, so im out unless they do a vintage style line. Even most of the old Japanese super robots are well represented in my display. Im pretty much down to just Ultraman and Transformers.

Im not going to buy just to be buying something anymore so unless Hasbro and Takara surprise me, i really expect there are far fewer collecting days ahead than there are behind.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I just started re-collecting Transformers with the Combiner Wars line simply because I couldn't afford a lot of those toys as a kid. But now that I bought most of the toys I want, I need to keep my collection reasonable for display. Siege helped me fill out a lot of the toys that I want. Now I plan on getting rid of some of the versions that I'm not as fond (PotP Starscream, Moonracer, etc.). Once ER Optimus comes out, I'll probably get rid of the Siege version.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    A few years back I started dialing back on collecting since I was on a blitz from 2007-2014, that was when I was more heavily active across this entire network of sites on staff.

My collecting habits are a shadow of what they used to be. Over time, yes I got somewhat sick of collecting. When you see how much space it can take up, how the resale value may not be what you paid for some items and how much you realize you may not like certain things anymore...it's a sobering moment to say the least.

I've tried to limit my purchases to stuff I know I will enjoy for the next 10-15 years, long term basically. For example, I look back at what I got in years past and what aged well to me. I use that as a guide for what to keep. For example, in the 2000's I thought it would be awesome to replace my broken PMOP with the then-upcoming God Ginrai reissue. Got the latter, barely played with it, don't want it anymore. Yet a toy I got not long before that(Armada deluxe bendy Optimus) is a toy I want to keep.

You change over time and what I want to keep is stuff I still like after said changes.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. Especially have moving to another house. Moving these sucks.

I've cut back considerably, especially since I have most of the figs I want.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

I thought I was, but Combiner Wars brought me right back in, especially with creative combinations like Optimus Maximus, Grand Galvatron and Sky Reign. POTP built on this even further.

Earthrise? I really don't see myself trying to collect everything.

That being said, I wouldn't know who I am anymore if I didn't check the toy aisle for new Transformers every trip to Walmart.

• Like Like x 3
  9. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    This is exactly why Hasbro keep changing the goalposts with CHUG, MP, and then Siege being a soft reboot of Classics. If you give people want they want we would have had G3 in 2002 instead of Armada, we would have completed collecting in 2006 and gone home, gotten bored and changed hobby.

Don't give the customers what they want; it can be very bad business wise.

Instead; Armada, Binaltech, MP01, Classics, Animated, Movieverse, Prime, MP10, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Siege, MP44 and so it goes...

Turns out you can sell the same thing to the same people multiple times, providing its Optimus and Bumblebee (or his archetype) rebooted and reformatted and in different scales. Or Vader and Luke. Or He-Man and Skeletor. Or Turtles and Shredder. Or Lion-O and Mumm-Ra...

We're all very close to hitting our collecting goals these days, just by virtue of the franchise being 40 years old, and a lot of us are reaching different points in our life where collecting isn't the focus or escapism it once was.

Time for a huge franchise re-imagination soon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    What I'm doing now is trying to imagine my collection fitting comfortably in a small room with sufficient room to move; whatever doesn't fit, is gone. It's hard to do but can be done. That way it keeps things easier to move and pack when needed.

I find that boxing things up as if preparing to move, is a good indicator of what you want to really keep.

• Like Like x 2
  11. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah.. 40 years of collecting and been out of room for a while so have to rotate and store a lot... I can't even guess to how many I have as at times I look in the storage stock and have the whole" hey, I didn't remember I had this!".

I haven't been a TF collector only, I'm more a "robots" collector and have a large range of what I have... my main draws are more the piloted mechs such as Macross and Gundam and a LOT of my TF collection is based on "can this one be piloted", so a lot of my TFs are tanks and planes due to this. One reason is that TFs are at least affordable, locally available and while lack the details of the higher range series, it makes up with being solid and easily transformable (in general but with some exceptions of course), where as Macross for example, are very expensive and very fragile, hard to transform, have to be ordered online.

So I'm a very ad-hoc collector, going for those that appealed to me and never cared about lines and such.

But at the same time, I'm getting old and life happens and I'm not as motivated to play as much as I used to. I also find that some figures are still really fun to fiddle with, some I find you almost need to have multiple figures out to really appreciate.

That said, I always enjoyed the G1, but could barely afford any at the time and lost many to thievery from a family member.. so when the Dinobots (POTP) were announced, that hit me hard and pulled me in. Then decided on a few mores via sales/liquidations, then having to complete those sets to make the combiner. A few more here and there, and I increased my collection faster than I ever did before.

And then Siege previews showed Shockwave and they got me interested. Once I got Ultra Magnus and OP, I was hooked. Finally, after so many years, a line with proper plastic. I was almost resolved to actually do the full set, but then the rehashes, recolours, reuses outside of the "originals" (Datsuns and Seekers) bummed me out.. then the empty gaps is another bummer, and loose joints, quality issues, it's like Hasbro wants people to give up...

Anyways, I'm not looking towards trying to complete the G1 original crew, and once that's done... I'll be back to the ad-hoc figures that they'll have to really win me over, but at the same time, I have been considering selling a part of my collection due to the getting old part and no grandkids at this point to consider passing it on to, but it's hard to as I do love everything I have, but at the same time.. I know I look silly to be on the floor playing as if I was 7 years old.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

My collecting has definitely slowed down, but I'm not a completionist and only get figures I like or need for my tastes. Im still collecting, but I only usaully pick up maybe 1-3 figs a year now. This year has been rough with all the pre-orders I have though with FT and others.

I also joined the Zeta Superion wagon late. I only need one more in my stack at TFSource to complete the set. Beginning of Next year is going to be rough also, but then I am good for a long while.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For me the problem isn't even that we're going in circles, it's more that the things that I value the most in collecting "Classics" feels like they're just... gone. Call me the odd one out, but the reason I liked collecting Classics through Generations was not just for the "G1 with knees" high that it seems everyone else wants, I actively enjoyed how designs were re-interpreted for various characters. I still like any improvement in articulation for any given character we get, but that enjoyment clashes hard with the irritation I get at seeing Optimus Prime, Megatron, Sideswipe, ect. as so... boring. I mean up to a certain point I'm glad to even have a Reflector on my shelf at all now, but to me he's otherwise just a crowd filler and nothing else. Same with Flywheels, but he just looks so plain standing next to Battletrap. Siege Springer? I have the T30 version and it's perfect, there's no reason to even attempt to supplant him. And I already have versions of Hoist and Grapple that I'm satisfied with, so replacing them with the Earthrise ones is a waste of money.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    My "collection" right now is arguably the smallest its been for the past 5 years. My attention (and money) has been diverted to other collectibles like Hot Toys, statues and SOC figures. I also no longer have the "gotta catch em all" mindset, I dislike seeing cluttered shelves with a myriad of figures where nothing really stands out. I guess I don't have a specific goal in mind with Transformers really. With Hot Toys I already achieved my goal of having all of the main MCU Avengers from the first movie. I have no such set goal with Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Everyone gets burnt out. My advice is to take as long a break as you need. It could just be that you've got all you want too.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

No, but if I ever feel this way I'll certainly stop. What helps is that my collecting is narrow and focused - official TT MPs of G1 cartoon characters only. They're all I've ever wanted since being awestruck by the cartoon in 1984 and now that the line's approach has been crystallized (hyper cartoon accurate bot modes, hyper articulation, lots of paint, lots of gimmicks/accessories, more functional alt modes), I'm more excited than ever. Having this narrow collecting focus keeps it affordable for me even when figures are extremely expensive and makes space manageable because their releases are relatively few and far between.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

If they keep knocking out WFC-style figures I'm here. Other than some of the Ultra Class Cyberverse, I don't buy anything else TF.

18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Whenever this topic arises I always add my two cents....

I am an adult who enjoys toys, not an adult collector.

Massive fundamental difference in the two. It's because of that differentiation that I never get caught up in fatigue or burn out, etc..

• Like Like x 9
  19. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

News Credits:
    Yes my wife told me i have too many toys and i get sick of her complaining.
    J/k.....
    But time to scale it back titan scorponok is the only thing i will buy in 2020.
    She tell me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    me. i've never been a big collector, i think the biggest my collection has ever been was 92 toys, but since i started in 2011 it's usually hovered around the 50-60 mark. a couple months ago i realized a few things; i'm always replacing stuff, i'm never 100% satisfied with 90% of the stuff in my collection, i don't like any media or design aesthetic enough to collect any one line (closest i've come is bb movie designs, but i don't like bumblebee himself n optimus n a seeker does not a collection make), n toys honestly just don't make me happy or do much for me. they're cool for like messing with oncr a day or so but otherwise they're just... there. i don't get much from them. i had 60ish back in september n sold all but 15, 9 of which were gifts. all i kept that i've bought is the g1 prime reissue, bb movie prime, tlk primus (cuz it's unique n a great display piece), t30 skybyte (favorite character), one step skybyte (duh), tiny turbo changers bb prime n megs , n wst megatron. i'll be adding 3A bb movie prime to that list n until they make a bb-styled megatron i'm out, besides tf's i get as gifts.

i have other stuff on my shelf i've bought besides tf's, but as of now it's also just nerdy gifts, some digivolving digimon that i've limited to 3, n a neca godzilla lol

i don't see anything wrong with collecting en masse, but i don't get the same feeling from it most people do. it all ends up feeling like clutter to me at a certain point. i'd look at my shelves n think man, this is getting crowded, better see what i can put in a box," n then look at my boxes n realize tey're full n disorganized n stuff i haven't looked at in forever, which is no way to be with stuff that costs so much n is meant to be enjoyed.

sorry, didn't mean to turn this into my life story but it happens lol

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.