Anyone find it funny that Transformers Prime Toys Begin and end with 1rst Edition?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Oct 26, 2012.

1. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Anyone find it funny that Transformers Prime Toys Begin and ends with 1rst Edition?

I know the Voyager Skyquake has not been released in the States yet for R.I.D. which is technically the last figure in the Original Prime series before Beast Hunters. As Optimus Prime And Bulkhead FE Voyagers have not been released in the USA either one can assume that the Transformers Prime line itself has come full circle. We are now receiving toys that were cancelled for release here (Voyager Bulkhead , Optimus Prime) or cancelled outright (Terrorcon CJ , Vehicon)

The way it is lining up is we got Wave 1 of FE in the USA back in November 2011. Now the cancelled Wave 2 is showing up in October of 2012. Quite a wait for a wave but considering the R.I.D. line in general (Vehicon excluded) it was worth it as the FE figures are of considerably higher quality.

I know Beast Hunters will continue as a subline to "Prime". But the changes are so drastic to the toys I do not consider them part of the continuity.They are a new beginning and hopefully like with other lines they can put some much deserved figures out that were missing from the previous 2 Prime Lines (Smokescreen Deluxe , Hardshell Voyager)

To everyone who screamed nerd rage to Hasbro about the First Edition stuff being cancelled in the States. Hasbro listened to us as we are now all getting what we deserved to begin with. Wave 2 of First Edition.

2. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Wouldn't the original TFP line be ending with the Dark Energon exclusives?

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I find the idea of this thread funny: the TF Prime line isn't ending.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup. Beasties are coming in '13, there is no end of the line yet.

5. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    He was talking about the end of the 'first' TFP line, implying that Beast Hunters is the second TFP line.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

LOL "I know Beast Hunters will continue as a subline to "Prime". But the changes are so drastic to the toys I do not consider them part of the continuity."

Doesn't really work that way. You can ignore it all you want, but Beast Hunters is still going to be the theme of Season 3.

7. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

But I guess it's funny that we started with FEs and after all this time, we'll be getting FEs again

8. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I hope the beast hunters show is good..so we stay active with TF shows

9. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This x2.

For the changes being so drastic, Bee still looks like Bee, just with a bunch of junk slapped on him.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    truk not munk....e....er....spikey truck?

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    That is funny.

I still remember that day when the boards kerploded. :lol 

"You guys in canada are lucky sons of bitches for getting the FEs!"

:lol 

12. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beasties ARE the end of the Prime line as originally launched though.

Moving the whole series from traditional RiD stuff into Mad Optimus: Beyond the CyberDome means this isn't the same line.

Edit: Semantics or not, this is more than a focus shift.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

It's... still the Transformers: Prime line.

Transmetals are still Beast Wars figures to you, right?

14. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    I know nothing about Transmetals or Beast Wars actually. Put me decidedly in the "truk not munkee" camp.

Look, yes, they are still technically the same line - but recycling old molds with added gimmicks in with crazy colors and weapons sound familiar? G2 anyone? (And no, I don't think it's exactly like G2 just mentioning the similarities.)

15. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro IS allowed to change their focus in the same line if they choose. That doesn't mean this has to be considered a whole new, separate line from the initial Prime stuff. It's continuing, it's just different.

EDIT:

Crazy colors and weapons does sound familiar...because it also happened in Beast Wars with Transmetals (look up the Resources section here, or the wiki). So yeah, color and weapon variation do not a new line make.

16. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Where did I say Hasbro wasn't allowed to do something? Hasbro can do whatever the heck they want. They can call it whatever they want. They can color molds however they like and reissue said molds as many times as they like while either calling it the same line or not.

All that doesn't matter to ME. IMHO, the line has changed focus significantly enough from how it was launched to feel like something different. The thing we are at the core debating is the semantic nature of coprorate calling it the same thing versus the change in "feel" from what it started as to what it looks like it will become.

Is it technically still Transformers: Prime? Yes
    Does it feel different enough to me to be a new line? Yes, because honestly I don't see the old figs and the new ones cozily sharing the same shelf space. My perogative.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh wait ... I get it. The Prime line is ending for those folks who fail to recognize "Beasts" as Transformers.

Got it!

18. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well no shit that's your prerogative. It's always our prerogative how we approach each line/toy/whatever. Maybe you didn't articulate it very well earlier, but before you seemed to be implying the changes with Beast Hunters meant that yes, the Prime line was ending period, as a universal fact, and not just how YOU were approaching it. If you'd made that clearer I wouldn't have bothered quoting your posts because you seemed to be arguing something that was more than just your personal approach to the line.

That said...you DO know what is on the box (line, toy name, etc.) can make a huge difference for some people, regardless of what's IN the box/bubble (like, say, people getting irritated over the "Rumble" name being used and
    not following certain precedents in the "blue one vs red one" debate)? It doesn't matter to me (Transformer toys are Transformer toys), but it's a big deal to some, so if "Transformers: Prime" is still somewhere on the box, that's what will matter for some people.

Personally, the only way I'd view Beast Hunters as a brand new line is if the aesthetic of Prime changed with it from the semi-cartoonier approach to the Movieverse to something else. THAT, to me, represents a significant change that would be a real departure from what we've seen before (in the cartoon and toy line). Until that happens, I don't personally see how Beast Hunters represents a "change" other than we're getting beasties in an amount we haven't seen since at least....RiD, if not the Beast Era. If others feel differently personally (such as yourself, I guess), that's your thing and your entitled to it. I'd just caution against approaching this as an "end" to what we've already seen until an actual aesthetic change occurs (and beasts do not represent an aesthetic change, just a different type of alt mode). From what I've seen, that's not happening...unless you count spikes as an aesthetic change.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Transformers Prime has always been an odd line.

Hey kids we are getting a new cartoon series but if you want the toys to go with the cartoon you are out of luck until Wal-Mart and Target get sick of all the movie toys on their shelves.

Hey collectors we've got some cool First Edition toys. No wait you can't have those.

We've got a ton of movie Bumblebee toys on the shelves wouldn't it be great to throw as many Transformers Prime Bumblebee figures on the shelves as we can?

Vehicons because scalpers need something to keep them busy.

Changing up the look for season 3 so you can have those First Edition Figures after all. It's the least we could do after what we did to some poor fans with that Deluxe Airachnid figure.

20. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    The line isn't "just adding Beasts" though, the entire aesthetic is changing. The original Prime look IS coming to an end, replaced with all those spikes and bright colors.

Example: Let's say that you missed Soundwave the first time round and want to grab him one Beast Hunters drops to fill out you Decipticon ranks. Do you honestly think that would work aestheically (beyond the fact that many might actually do it)?