Anyone ever use glue to ensure the stability/longevity of a fig they never intend to transform?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LoneDragon, Sep 11, 2019.

1. LoneDragon

LoneDragon I dare to be stupid!

For things that don't want to stay tabbed in properly especially when posing?

Example: I intend for Volcanicus to retain his form in perpetuity. I have been thinking about gluing a few of Grimlock's more stubborn bits permanently into this form for, as stated, stability and longevity. If I feel the need for an ugly Grimlock (I have 2 other, better Grimlocks), I guess I'd just buy another PotP Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    That's even more morally bankrupt than leaving stuff misb so it turns evil.
    Lord-Business-and-the-Kragle-578x336.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  3. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would never use glue but I have used the small clear rubber bands from the packaging on occasion to hold something together or an accessory/ weapon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Broken Record

I've used glue to tighten up joints/tabs but never to freeze a figure in robot mode. Oh hang on, no I did with a really cheap KO G1 Devastator who's component bots would crumble and break is you so much as looked at them...but that was the only way to make it vaguely presentable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

Why not either file it down or use super glue to thicken the tab?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, never glue for posing. That talk is cray cray.

For a loose joint, I usually stick a small square of paper to tighten the joint inbetween.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    On Transformers no. On other figs yes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LoneDragon

I don't mean gluing it into a pose. I mean gluing parts that come untabbed every time you try to move/pose the figure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

ive done it to tighten up ratchets and before I knew the glories of floor polish...

My ( 7yo) son army builds warrior class cyberverse shockwaves to be troopers/ the drones from the show for him ultra class Cyberverse shockwave ( which in his canon/ verse is actually a drone/ decoy himself for his REAL shock wave which is the Beast hunter one TransmasterC got for him THANKS DUDE)... but the 4 YO has a "fan mode" I guess where he pulls the arms off of them and folds the legs up in sort of a flat plane and makes "Space ship cannyons" ( yes he pronounces the Y) out of them and my boys constantly bitch and fight about this. So I have been gluing the arm sockets on the Warrior class ones because the repeated back and forth of pulling them apart and putting them together has wore down the lil nubs that hold them in leaving them in permanent Cannyon mode.

As big as the collection and especially the loose in the floor play collection has gotten there are a LOT of other situations like this, I think one of our Abominous sets has some of this happening... ( yep its Cuntthroats beak/ face that keeps falling off) ... our Extra floor beater Titans return Twinferno ? Double cross has his wings glued on. I use a soft Vinyl glue that still allows them to articulate and can be pulled off if you ever want to return it.

Also if any of you play with Stranger things my & yo also army builds 3.75 inch Demigorgons and that whole figure is a floppy sloppy mess that has to be glued to be played with properly. Especially if their life consists of getting smashed by the Hulk and ran over by NISS Tanks on the regular.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

Same, here. I've got the Maketoys Armageddon backpack wrapped around what was once my Classics Omega Supreme to keep it in place.

As for glue like this? Ye gods, no! There's always the chance you'd want to transform it again. Or you mess up the gluing and, whoops, now it's frozen forever in a bad pose!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    I do hafta glue my CV Slipstream's wings. The damn things keep popping off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. eipunx

eipunx Well-Known Member

Gluing transformers so they will never transform, no I've never done that. But I have used super glue on almost all of my figures to tighten up loose joints and thicken up tabs and such. I've even done this on my Volcanicus so that he stays tabbed together better but I do take him down every now and again to take him out of combined mode so that the clear plastic in Grimlock's chest isn't constantly under all of that stress. Been toying with the idea of getting the OS KO set since they used regular solid plastic instead of the clear plastic and I've heard that the plastic used is a decent quality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Future floor polish. It’s clear. It adds durability. It rinses off in hot water.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenchanayoh

Kenchanayoh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, which part of Grimlock is coming loose?

• Like Like x 1
  15. LoneDragon

Mostly the part where the whole body splits.
    I think the upgrade kit I got recently may help it hold and be more stable due to how the chest and back plates attach. However, and I can't entirely tell on this, I think the chest plate of the upgrade kit tabs in in a manner that forces the body to come untabbed when the chest plate is fully tabbed in. I noticed when I was messing with the upgrade kit trying to see how everything fit together that the first few times I tried to attach the chest plate, I had to tab Grimlock back together before attempting again.