Anyone ever think of selling their classics line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 11, 2012.

1. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the nostalgia as well but I'm also a fan of the characters and figures. I was one of those people that wanted Hasbro to revisit the G1 line. While Alternators brought me into collecting heavily I feel the classic figures are some of my favorite.

2. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Classics got me back into collecting (so much I have trips and quads of most all I get) and a lot of them are ones I didn't have or couldn't get as a kid. The only way I'd get rid of them is if I were to quit collecting completely, forever.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have any regrets; as nice as my classics collection was, it just didn't do anything for me. :2c: 

I collect for pure nostalgia, same as Batman.

Once I complete my 84-85 line-up, I'm done for the most part. Going forward, the only modern line I'll keep up with is Masterpiece; since, they are giving us modern versions of our favorite characters while maintaining their 80's forms. Classics, gives us our 80's characters, but will a lot of changes.

Not to say it's bad! I can't stress that enough, they look amazing! However, I need the figures 6 year old Chris played with.

4. WrongTurn

WrongTurn King of the Impossible

News Credits:
    Now that MP Sideswipe has been announced I'm looking at my classics in a new light. As I think someone else mentioned - if MP style figures become available that I prefer over the Classics versions, then it's bye bye. This fate has already befallen Henkei Ironhide and Ratchet.

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I've thought about it. There's roughly half my collection, mostly consisting of the Transformers Universe 2008-ish line, that just doesn't do it for me anymore. After having them for so many years I've began to weigh my collection on individual toy merit. Sadly, many are falling short. Hell, after a failed fix on Ratchet, I just chunked him in the trash.

The market isn't very high for figures who've seen custom work done on them anyway. Even though most people complain about this or that paint app missing, some folks hiss and start yelling "Blasphemer!" once you actually do it.

6. Big_Truk_Convoy

Big_Truk_Convoy Transforming is the gimik

Well if anyone is looking to sell henkei figures or some odd classics figures hit me up. I am looking to complete my MIB/MISB Henkei collection.

7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, it's just not going to happen. Except for when iGear pull their fingers out of their arses and release PP05.
    In fact I would settle for keeping just my Classics (plus their 3rd Party brethren) and Animated collections if push came to shove.

8. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell No, There the reason I got back into collecting and got rid of my g1 collection. There such awesome updates and it's great having the full cast from the toon together, which will probably never happen in MP's. If times where tight though, I wouldn't have any regrets in selling them as there are more important things than TF's.

9. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the only line I haven't sold any of yet, and plan to keep it that way, so no.

10. Big_Truk_Convoy

Big_Truk_Convoy Transforming is the gimik

Lies!!! :p  jk

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Honestly no, never even considered it. Classics are (to me) the updated G1 and as such will always be indicative of Transformers for me, moreso than anything else (apart from G1 or Masterpiece).

I'd sell off my BW/BM/Armada/Energon/Cybertron first before I moved onto Classics.

12. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

At this point I collect diaclones, limited G1, classics, animated, and prime.

If I had to cut back, first I'd sell animated, then prime, then g1

Classics would be the 2nd last to go just slightly ahead of diaclones, so no, I have never seriously considered getting rid of them.

13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Nope. It's almost bigger than my G1 collection now, so many memories.

14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT!

I've seen this happen before and I shake my head in disbelief every time. People sold their Classics collection at the end of the run, then cursed themselves when Universe appeared. And later people sold their Universe collection at the end of that run, and cursed themselves again when RTS/Generations appeared. Even before that, people ignored the Classics line as a brief stopgap between AEC and the Movie, before getting late into the game as the line expanded and paying a premium for early figures. Ramjet in particular has skyrocketed in value from nothing when the rest of the Seekers made it to retail.

The moral of the story: it ain't over til' it's over. You think that the line has hit a lull at the moment, but you'll be thanking yourself for holding onto that Classics Mirage when Generations Blitzwing or Trailbreaker is announced.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After avoiding for a long time I ended up picking up some Henkei and later United figures. Still trying to justify owning both Classic/Henkei and Generations/United because I can't decide which ones to sell off.

16. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Sold a few like Sideswipe and Smokescreen mainly because they are boring to me.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Occasionally.

18. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    As of today I've basically sold pff the last of my classics apart from Bumblebee, who I only ever bought to go with my Alts and MP and BIS Rodimus for my Hot Rod shelf (I sold the original version as the deco irks me)

This has been a process of elimination over the past year.

Do I miss them?

Not. At. All.

In fact I'm happy they're gone. my collection feels much better without them. the majority of the money I've made from sales has gone into buying a lot of G1 stuff I've always wanted, and I have a solid collection with a progressive aesthetic. Rather than waiting for some arbitrary 'update' of a character that I've always wanted, and the inevitable disappointment at the liberties taken with the design to update it, I now ust go back to the source material.

The nicest bit is I no longer have a 'toy collection' I have a 'vintage toy robot collection'. It just feels cooler. There's an interesting difference between collecting contemporary childrens toys (no matter how collector orientated you wish them to be) and goint for vintage stuff. It has a greater nostalgic pull for me, and to be honest is far less embarressing to show to non collector friends and peers.

At the end of the day I have no real attachment to the classics stuff. Like many old timer fans I dreamed of a neo-G1 line for years, classics should be a dream come true for me, but I've realised the direction they decided to take the idea isn't really what I wanted it to be. I wanted something akin to Turboedguy's customs, and what they're doing with the masterpieces. Not what they decided to give us in the end.

19. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:

This is all true, but there's just one problem: We're now 6 years into the line. Since the first wave of Classics we have had 3 movie lines and two other main lines, and like it or not, some of those design and engineering influences have made their way into the "classics" designs. Look at how much different the last wave of Generations/RTS molds is from the first wave of classics. A lot has changed in terms of look and design over the last 6 years, so much so that people are even saying it's time to revisit some of those early characters again because they're somewhat antiquated compared to the 2010/11 lines. I've complained enough about shrinking molds, sparse paint, and ugly plastic, but I can't deny that the engineering involved has come a really long way in the last 6 years. I fear that any new line of "classics" will make a lot of the first two waves look clunky, especially if they revisit some characters like Prime, Megatron, or seekers. That won't make Classics Prime any less awesome, but it will change how I look at the collection as a whole.

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    If I were to sell my collection, Classics would be the only thing staying.