Anyone ever think of selling their classics line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes. In fact I have sold them off over the last few months and it has made me a lot of money.

2. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

I'm seeing that it most definitely will as well. I look forward to having the money from it once i get un-lazy-fied and start listing.

3. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sold all mine actually.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    For those of you who did sell, you missing them at all?

Realistically, for me, since I started picking up G1, classics has turned me off a bit, that is why I am thinking of selling. Every G1 figure gives me a warm feeling inside. It just reminds me of my childhood.

The MP line has always had the size and felt more like an updated G1 for me. Perfect size and everything. So it has the "holy shit this is cool" factor.

I don't get that from the classics figures really. I know they are supposed to be an update and all, but not feeling the magic with them. They are just a toy the same way as the Prime line. They are fun to fiddle with but, kinda bleh as of late. Kinda weird to say that after all this time with them.

G1 is the girl I love, MP is that hot girl with the big boobs I dated for a long time, Classics is the girl I like hooking up with. Don't necessarily need to get rid of her, but at the same time, if she gets annoying, she is gone.

5. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a little regret at first. But like you, I love G1 so I got over it. Now I'm glad I did it. My G1 collection has never been better.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've sold various Classics figures in the past, with varying degrees of regret. I don't mind not having Grimlock anymore at all. Not having Mirage is a gaping hole in my heart. Sideswipe... ehh... I don't miss him too much, especially since I have Punch/Counterpunch and G2 Breakdown.

My own personal theory is that the classic '84/'85 cast is going to get new toys every ten years or so, and each new mold is going to be better than the one before it. So I don't really expect Classics to hold their secondary market value in the long run.

Did... did you just do an F-Marry-Kill with Transformer toylines? THAT. IS. AWESOME.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sold mine because I lost interest in it. Certain characters I wanted werent coming out and they were puttng stuff in the line that I didn't like. I thought it was turning into something different than what it started off as. I thought the line had lost something. I sold it all. BIG MISTAKE. I regretted it. I finally bought almost everything back. Only missing a few characters and it didn't set me back too far. I won't do it again unless I really need the cash.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What do you mean by "one of the 40?" Are they gonna do 40 Classics figures this year?

9. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I spent years "talking round the watercooler" about how Hasbro should do a "Generation 1:Redux" toyline.... then they released classics which was exactly what I wanted....so nope, never gonna sell my collection.

Few weaker entries like Ironhide/Ratchet sure, but I still need to find away to pay Hasbro extra for Classics Jetfire, I felt like "I" ripped them off at $19.99

Yep Hasbro said for 2012-2013 we should see 40 new additions to the "generations line" though I wouldn't go numbering them or anything.

10. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I'm very fond of my classics figures. No way I'm selling them. :p 

11. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Sure, I've thought about it. Hard not to when you see the insane, exorbitant amounts of money people are constantly willing to pay for the stuff. But there's a good reason for that. The toys (well, the majority of them, anyway) are awesome. That's why the demand seems to hang on even after the toys themselves are long gone from retailers.

But common sense has always canceled out potential dollars and cents for me in the end. I take a good hard look at my shelves and then tell myself I know better than to ever actually go through with such a purge. Same for my Animated collection. I just truly love the stuff far too much to ever let go of it.

12. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting analogy for this site :lol . I do see what ya mean though.

13. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I would never sell it.

I have a full Classics and Henkei and have no intention of selling it.

14. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not right now but ask me again once the Generations line starts up again.

I'm sure I'll be regretting it by then.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Classics has never been on my cut list. Even if they were they would be behind AEC and RID and I'm still not sure if I will be getting rid of those.

Classics is very safe in my collection and for the very reason you would think about getting rid of yours. I adore the 3rd party stuff (just not the prices :p ) but with each passing year they just keep getting better in design/quality and greater in numbers.

So no. Classics will not be sold. What I really need to do is get off my ass and sell off my Movie one and two collections. I really hate looking at that plastic crap lol

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Classics line? Heck no. Movie line, on the other hand... been thinkin bout it for a while now.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nope.

Because once I do....it will double and triple in price.

18. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never thought of it that way. Good analogy. :) 

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I've sold just about all of my Classics toys except for RtS G2 Laser Optimus Prime. And to be honest, I actually don't regret it. Now I collect only Beast Wars toys because of the nostalgia they bring to me. But every once in a while, there are some non-BW toys that catch my eye (I kind of regret not getting Drift).

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Color Edit Mode Advocate

I sold everything else just to keep my Classics figures. It's 3/4 of my collection. The rest is MP and 3rd party.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At first I thought I would, but honestly I really don't.

The primary reason I collect toys is nostalgia, plain and simple. It takes me back to a time when I was a child and life was easier. The Transformers that hit that chord for me are G1 and those are the figures I will never let go of.

The idea of classics has always excited me, classic characters with modern engineering. Unfortunately neither Hasbro or Takara can really be bothered to give the line a proper shot like say Hasbro did with the 25th Anniversary Joes or Mattel with MOTU Classics. Releases are sparse, after 6 years core characters are still missing, poor distribution, strange character choices etc. just killed the line for me.

Third parties have dominated the line over the last year or so and while I like a lot of the stuff, I don't really want to spend $50 - $100 on every figure that Hasbro won't put out.

Thanks to selling all of this stuff I got to buy a lot of stuff I really wanted and may have not been able to buy otherwise (like the Hot Toys 89 Batman, Joker and Batmobile).