Anyone ever think of selling their classics line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never thought of it.

up until they announced MP Sideswipe.

2. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

classics will never die, mp to me are seperate

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I've wanted to dramatically reduce it, but it's too difficult to go through with it.

4. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sold ALL of mine. I've always been a G1 first kind of guy. The classics style line just got too huge and never seems to end. It was getting in the way of my G1 obsession so they had to go.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My Classics collection would be the last thing I sold. I'm not able to go back and collect G1 figures, so buying the Classics at retail is a middle ground for me. Not to mention that a majority of Classics figures I prefer over their G1 representation.

6. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This.

But then again, unlike a lot of you, I only collect those Classics-type figures that complement Faith Leader/MP Grimlock/MP Seekers. So basically just the '84-'86 Autobot cars.

I would probably be burnt out by now, if it was SOLELY Classics that I was collecting. There are a lot of crappy Classics-type figures that I have no interest in owning whatsoever.

I'm having fun with the line(s) right now, because I just buy what I like. The MP figures that fit with 'em, not to mention all the fun third party stuff that complements it, make it a really interesting time to collect TFs for me.

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I've considered it, but not seriously enough to do an inventory and research prices.

When I first saw the "40 Generations" announcement, my first thought was that they would probably revisit some of the early characters in addition to rounding out the last few G1 heavy hitters. So now would be the time to bail on the original Classics run. That was always a long shot though, the odds of them redoing the first line characters is slim other than Prime and Megatron. With the Asia exclusive announcement, I wonder if they're going to go heavy on repaints and throw in other size classes and repaints from other lines, so we won't be seeing a reboot of the line.

Either way, I find myself in an odd position. Classics are certainly one of the foundations of my collection, but are not the main focus. I seem less and less interested in finishing the collection - I don't want to pay the price to get Universe Ratchet, I no longer feel as compelled to replace Hound and Jazz with the Henkei/United versions. I even put Protector up for sale without ever opening the box.

My main focus is and always has been Skywarp and Thundercracker, and eventually I'll get to the point where I would have to dig deep for some pieces - AFA G1, convention exclusive, etc. At that point, I would probably sell off my Classics in order to further those goals, but I'm not at the point of having to choose yet.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I expect a few members to sell their collections off either because they have lost interest or figure the old figures are to hard to obtain. Regardless those that do sell them off usually regret it when we get new figures that fit in with the line.

9. mechfiend

mechfiend Well-Known Member

Alucard, if you do plan on selling, please invite some south jersey people over to get first dibs. :) 

10. Cecilia

Cecilia Mechanical Princess

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I´d sell my soul first :3

11. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What he said. :D 

In fact I'm looking to expand my Classics collection. Since I have the BotCon '07 set my Decepticon ratio has always been a little higher. I'm thinking of grabbing guys like Blades, and Treadbolt to even the Bot : Con ratio.

12. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With a handful of exceptions, I never started with the classics because I know myself and eventually I'd probably have gotten rid of them. They're not the originals and the changes to their designs have no basis in any fiction. G1 and Masterpiece for me.

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm thinking eventually I'll get it all sold off or used in customs. I loved the classics line at the time, but now I much prefer the movie line and never even bother with my classic toys any more. I've already sold Ultra Magnus with the FP trailer/armor...

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Not me. It's the main thing that has kept my interest since 2007.

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ive thought about it but mostly cause I need the money

I know id regret it though. I have been tossing around the idea of selling my Astrotrain and Octane though

16. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i have the complete classics line up (just classic molds, and repaints if it was a repaint in the show) until the end of generations. was thinking about selling it. how much do u think i could get?

includes a Ko city commander
    a real dark commander set
    both combiner add on sets (brut and super)
    and protector armor

anyone wanna give me a ballpark?

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    This, a million times this. It's even worse when kids who sold off their G1s around 1990 get back into the hobby and repeat the same mistake. Mark my words, dump Astrotrain and Octane at your peril because they will skyrocket if Blitzwing is one of the 40.

18. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never. Other than my actual childhood G1 figures the Classics stuff is the last stuff I'd ever sell.

THAT said, I've recently started to feel as you do about all my Alternators. I remember going so out of the way to try and get them all when they were new, and now they do nothing for me. Classics are just much better toys.

-ZacWilliam, Silverstreak, Smokescreen, and Hound are the only ones I have any real affection for. They're likely to get boxed up at least very soon.

19. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    try lookin at individual prices for completed listings on ebay, that should give you a nice ballpark number

20. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    If you asked me this question 3 months ago, i woudl've said it's possible.

But since then i've had a really good run of luck picking up most of the Henkei line at well below the going rate....so i'd be reluctant now.