Anyone ever create their own superheroes?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Spin-Out, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

And I don't just mean when you're a kid and pretending to be a superhero. What I mean is, well, have ya ever created your own superheroes and come up with powers, personalities, and even teammates and enemies for them?
    [​IMG]
    These are the Tomorrow's Guardians. Basically, they're a teen superhero team like the Teen Titans (which is still my favorite superhero show ever made) or Young Justice.

On the left, you have Lillian Byrd, AKA Snowstar, a half-alien girl with cryokinetic powers. She's kind of like the cartoon version of Starfire in personality, only since she's from Earth, she understands Earth customs and is actually kind of a geek. In fact, she's the smartest member of the team. Her powers are like Killer Frost's - heat actually gives her more power.

In the middle, you have Tomahawk, AKA Nathan Nichols. He's the leader of the team. The son of a Cold War-era supersoldier, Tomahawk inherited superhuman strength, speed, and durability from his father. An idealistic young man, he's looked up to the superheroes in his universe as long as he can remember, and now that he's one, he plans on being a great hero. His signature tool is a fire axe - his is specially blunted and weighted so it's a non-lethal weapon if he needs to use it, but its primary function is to help him rescue people in emergencies. The main inspirations I had for him were Nightwing, Captain America, and TFA Optimus Prime. He's also a Navajo.

On the right, we have the funny guy of the team, Jacob Wattson, or Dynamo. Dynamo's got electrical powers he obtained when experimental nanites were injected into his nervous system to cure a rare disease he had as a child. It turned out that he could now channel is own bioelectricity into powerful bursts, and even absorb other electricity to charge up! Since his power comes from his nervous system, he also has limited telepathic powers. Thankfully, he's the fun-loving goofball of the team.

EDIT: I used Fabrica de Herois to make these.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to joke that I'd be a Morlock in the X-Men universe, and my useless power would be to curdle dairy products. I would be called. . . The Curdler!! My powers would be lame enough, that the X-Men wouldn't feel right about beating me up, but annoying enough, that they'd want to kill me anyway. :) 

3. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I had to do this for a science project recently in which I had to pick an element from the periodic table and make a superhero out of it with a backstory and costume design. The thing that disappointed me most was when people chose elements that already had superheroes such as Iron and Krypton (even though Superman is weakened by kryptonite). I unwittingly made mine have powers like Magneto and a costume that was somewhat similar (mainly the helmet). Other than that, I made it as original as possible.

4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    I did made my owned characters,but some are secret and others are just plain awesome.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did when I was younger. While a lot of the details have changed, the general characters and concepts have since evolved to become the characters in a sci-fi/fantasy novel I'm working on.

6. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

I'm working on a concept to be produced as a comic, film or TV series. I won't give away a lot of the details, but it's essentially a Female American Jewish Kamen Rider. (The Jewish part is actually very important.)

7. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I have. Me and my buddy even shopped it around to no avail. it's good though. Not really superheroes but along those lines. I decided a few years ago though that this sort of thing is completely alien to anything I want to be involved in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    This was a staple in my circle of friends from middle school through high school....so yeah, I've created hundreds of heroes and villains :) 

[​IMG]

9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

There are certain characters I've created and re-created for the likes of City of Heroes/Villains, DC Universe Online, and Champions Online...

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So you'd basically end up with DC's Metal Men.

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I used to make comics and post them on my MySpace page, but now I've switched over to working on custom Transformers. The main character was named Hardware (different from DC's Hardware).
    If anyone's interested in checking them out, I still have the pics in my Photobucket: Hardware Photos by hthrun | Photobucket. There are a lot of WIP pics, too, there. You'd have to go to the first pics of each album and read the completed panels...

I'm hoping to pick it up again someday. I'd probably make some changes on what I've already done and continue from there...

12. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

It's really hard to come up with a new superhero idea that hasn't already been taken.

I once had an idea for a superhero that was basically a rip off of the Guyver, only in my version the suit was sentient and talked to the character.

Then the new Blue Beetle happened...

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a superhero that I created for Mutants and Masterminds. I still remember the whole team from that game and occasionally bust them out for the odd roleplaying game in case I need a band of enemies.

14. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    I've been playing City of Heroes for 7 years, and I'll play it until it's unfortunate shutdown later this week. My character, Xeden, has been something I've molded over that time, and he grew into a rather well-known individual on the Virtue Server.

The character was originally a mutant police officer turned superhero, who was pushed into a leadership position long before he was ready (he was much more comfortable as a soldier), and ended up forcing this schism between himself and the old leader who temporarily put him in command when memberbase of the group wouldn't allow the old leader to return to power. He became this hero struggling to be a leader, and ended up becoming a tremendous leader, but lost how to be a normal person. Keeping his group safe became what he lived and breathed on, all business and consumed by his responsibility. Over time he ultimately became something of what Cyclops recently became in Marvel lore- operating black-ops squads in order to keep his group safe, forcing enemy groups into situations against one another to get his team out of the hot water, becoming something more like a villain due to his willingness to jump over the "hero" line in order to see the right thing done and people protected.

Shameless commissioned fanart time!

X leads his supergroup into battle.
    [​IMG]

Xeden defending the haunted Astoria from monsters.
    [​IMG]

X and his various costumes/appearances over time.
    [​IMG]

And X's final costume before CoH shuts it's doors forever.
    [​IMG]

I really have taken a liking to the character. I've been working with a friend on creating a novel
    series we plan on trying to get published with a character made with X as inspiration as the main hero.

15. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I wrote a couple of short stories about superheroes not too long ago. It was about five teenagers who are freakishly mutated by some mysterious chemical that they're exposed to (the most original idea in the world!!!!), but the stories were less about the mutants becoming superheroes and defeating a villain, and more about them bonding over what happened to them and becoming close friends, even though before they were mutated they either hated each other or weren't acquainted.
    The main character was a girl named Ellie, who started out the most popular girl in school and a very dippy, shallow bitch who only cared about her appearance. The chemical mutates her into a yellow-skinned reptilian monster with wings, a tail and claws. The others were Dillo (real name Edwin), a nerdy but well-meaning guy who had a thick shell similar to an armadillo's, Jack, who grew webbed feet and gills but breathes in a similar way to a mud-skipper, Samantha, who grew a third eye in the middle of her forehead and developed telepathy, and Terry, who seems normal to start with but his mutation (I had the idea of him shooting white hot energy beams) gradually surfaces over a long time.

I should note, I've never watched Misfits and I've only seen a few episodes of Heroes, so if there are things here that seem similar to those two shows it's unintentional. My vision was the Breakfast Club meets the Fantastic Four.

16. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I did, but mine came from a cosplay idea I dress up as time and time again. Sorta put the suit together, then people asked me for a backstory.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Thumbs up on that art mate, good stuff.

I've always entertained the idea of creating my own superheroes but I think the first thing I'd do is create the world in which they live.