Anyone else with an upside down Autobot symbol on Animated Rodimus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JTKranix, Aug 13, 2010.

1. HighCaptSpock

HighCaptSpock Autobot Logician

News Credits:
    That depends on how it's installed. If it's like HA Bumblebee's legs, then taking the chest apart and flipping it wouldn't be a problem. It it's pinned (or, worse, riveted), that would be more problematic and a job for Reprolables.

2. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

this isn't really news, as it got moved to toy discussion. oh, and like the others said, its a factory error, not a variant.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, it's an error.

Variants are intentional running changes.

YES.

Wether it's a variant or error is NOT a matter of opinion. It's a fact that this is an error. The figure had a part assembled incorrectly. My Animated Cybertron Voyager Megatron had two of the black rod-arms that hold is diamond-shaped kneee-caps. (instead of the interlocked ones that peg together in alt-mode) That doesn't mean I got a variant, it means I got a lemon.

This is not a variant people.

4. Arcee's_Boy

Arcee's_Boy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Geez, as usual people have to turn this into an angry "I'm the expert on everything" thing.

I was just trying to say that different people collect different things. What someone sees as an error someone else may see as unique and therefore "the right one" for them. What if someone collects factory errors? And likes to display them next to the "original" figure.

When postage stamps are printed upside down, stamp collectors see those as unique and therefore collectable.

People collect different things...that's the only point I was trying to make.

Not trying to make anyone get upset.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything, I just get annoyed when people make claims that are incorrect.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Factory errors such as upside down paint applications or missing paint apps are not news.

Variants, such as different color plastics, different paint apps or different types of plastics are a different story.

7. megaxz01

megaxz01 Transformer up and comer

News Credits:
    Yeah but swapping feet is easy.

If you were to try and fix this, the engine would then be backwards, so it's not that simple.

People with this "variation" of the figure, is in a lose/lose situation. Upside-down engine, or upside down faction symbol.

I can see people not being aware of this kind of situation until it is too late now... The error itself, could have been news, so those looking for this figure could at least be aware.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, the engine being right-side up complicates this. That means the fblock the symbol sits on and the engine weren't assembled properly to begin with, rather than the whole piece being upside down.

I think I'm going to have to echo others here and just recommend grabbing a reprolabels set. Spruce up some of your other Animated Autobots while you're at it. :D 

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yeah, this looks like a job for reprolabels.

Still, it makes him kinda unique, just not a variant (PCC Huffer's truck hood color: variants?)

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I'd love to see close ups of the inside of the chest to see how it's placed in there. Kinda wacky. Almost like Roddy needs to look down to see what faction he's part of.

'Uhh....Roddy an Awtobot?'

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Anyone here dissatisfied with their upside-down-symbol Rodimus and want to sell to me?

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  Wreck-Gar and the Dinobots could have used inverted faction symbols!

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If you fixed it and flipped the block around, would you really notice if the engine were flipped around? It's not so detailed that one end looks like the obvious front of the sci-fi space engine. Seems pretty interchangeable.

If I ever find one and it's like this, I'll have no issues with just flipping it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    A variant is something that is done on purpose, usually with the intention to "improve" the toy.

Even more importantly, a variant is something that's more widespread than a one-off fluke. If two out of ten thousand Alternators Prowl toys have two of the same hand, that's an error, not a variant.

Quality control is done on random samples, not on every single figure from the production run.

More likely, the part was tampographed before assembly and was on backwards.

Again, the biggest factor for telling "variants"from "errors" is quantity. There needs to be a considerable amount of same-detail-that's-different-from-what's-considered-"normal". If you're the only one with this oddity, it's a fluke. If you can find several dozen of people with the same problem, it could be considered a variant by some.

Intention is another factor that applies to some fans (but not to everyone). For example, Universe (2003) Ultra Magnus (redeco of Armada Super-Con/"Bendy" Optimus Prime) had his forearms swapped throughout the entire production run. So even though it was an error, it was the "normal" way the toy was released. Cybertron Deluxe Class Optimus Prime (redeco of the same sculpt) originally also came with his forearms swapped, then later batches had them attached the right way. It depends on the individual fan if this constitutes an "error" and a "fix" or a "variant".

However, a single Movie Payload missing his head is an error, not a "variant", because variants require a quantity > 1.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Wide spread? News.

Two instances? Not news.

16. megaxz01

News Credits:
    It's not that simple. Have you messed with the toy? It only flips one way. You can't flip it from the top, it has to be from the bottom.

So if you flip the engine, the big block of the engine will intrude up top.

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, I never have - but just looking at the pics the engine block is fairly low profile and should have no issues spinning around no matter how it is orientated. If you take it apart and flip it around, wouldn't you just end up flipping it from the top rather than the bottom?

Of course, I can only surmise from the pics. I don't know what the mechanism is like exactly.

No matter what, you've got three choices: try to fix it (with a sticker or repair), return it, or just live with it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  18. Gen. Hospital

Gen. Hospital Well-Known Member

Blue vs yellow Alternator Tracks == variant.
    Changing the tab in Classic Camaro Bumblebee's chest == running change.
    This == error.

19. megaxz01

News Credits:
    Oh I'm going to live with it.

Think about it, so far only 2 people have complained about it.

I'm not the type that tries to find variants/errors for the sake of my toys upping in value, but I can say I have a unique Rodimus.

Who knows how many this happened to, and the person who answered my question about if my toy was turned around, can now become a question on how many were in the position to receive this error?

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the upside-down-symbol is really funny. I wouldn't mind getting an extra Roddy with this feature. :lol