Anyone else wanting Marvel gaining rights of TF comics again?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Grimlock King, Jul 21, 2019.

1. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Yes, but only because I personally want Disney to acquire the overall rights to Transformers. I think they are the best for the brand moving forward.

2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Y'know, any "all marvel/DC is crap" narrative is phony. There are some great books, there are shitty books, there are books in the middle. Man, I bought SO MUCH MARVEL in the 90s. Uber gritty spiderman and the clone saga, four Spidey ongoings a month, almost ALL OF IT total garbage. Avengers and most Avengers characters were jokes. Jesus, we talk about heroes reborn being bad but almost all of those books were lousy leading up to it. FF - big titty sue Richards, thing in a helmet, general boredom. Cap - armor cap! Capwolf! Cap is apparently ninety years old the way he talks to others! Iron man - so terrible they had a teenage version of tony timejump to kill Evol adult tony and take over the armor.

Etc. Like, X-Men was good enough. Age of apocalypse was batshit crazy and they WENT FOR IT. But man. So many draggedout plotlines that went nowhere (the xtraitor! The third summers brother! Gambits secret!). Oh my god, Lobdell, niczea, FOLLOW UP YOUR FUCKING STORIES.

So. I dunno. I was at my mostcomic buying during the single worst era for speculators and near bankruptcy and collapse of marvel. I had a longbox of nineties comics and basically all of it is best as campfire fuel. I'm so over this entire thread of MODERN COMIVS ARE TERRIBLE. Dudes. The nineties SUCKED for most major label comics. And the Indies weren't necessarily better.

Sure, we had Bone.

We also had lady death. I mean. Jfc. Hot garbage comics for days but chromium covers and tittays for days. I like breasts. I don't need to be fucking embarrassed by softcore garbage dominating the comics market.

Anyhoo. I fully agree that the biggest thing that has turned me off the big 2 is the constant reboots and events. Why should I end bother getting invested in a new book that isn't an alist book? They're gonna cancel it before the first trade is on the shelves or worse. They'll keep it going but renumber from 1 for reasons and trade confusion. They'll soft reboot. DC has the nu52! Wait forget that! We're back! And stuff! God, I'm not putting that much effort into just reading a fucking book.

And some of these books do gangbusters in trade and outside of the LCS market. Mockingbird has excellent sales in real bookstores.

I almost bit on the generation x reboot. Major nostalgia soft spot for me. But I DON'T. BUY. MONTHLY. Anymore. Why? Why should I? They read better in trade and sit nicely on my shelf. Also, it got cancelled in under a year. The "comicsgate" people can Darwin themselves out of existence, but comics really are piss poor on the big 2 level these days for a host of other reasons. There ARE GOOD BOOKS in there. But it's too much damn effort to care.

There ain't any reason for marvel to take the transformers on again. It doesn't have the cache star wars does and Disney doesn't own it so the impetus to really go hard on a comic series won't be there. It just takes away from licenses Disney owns.

Also can Disney not own everything just yet? We'll all be going to the theatre to "see a Disney" soon enough. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  3. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The funny thing is that the shenanigans that the modern big 2 pull are what often lead me toward licensed comics. They are allowed to be more self-contained, have fewer crossovers (and the crossovers typically make sense when they do happen) and generally don’t have a revolving door of creative teams or relaunches every 8 months.

This is why Revolution basically killed the IDWverse for me. It introduced some of that crap into my mostly self-contained comics.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RNSrobot

Also yes. I could just follow a couple books. Mtmte and rid had one real crossover and that was two years in. Similar reaction to in regards to revolution and the "shared Hasbro universe."

5. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) Jesus this was like reading "Hunter S Thompson Rants About Comics". It's glorious.

2) I also agree - most comics these days are hacky garbage, and from what I can tell, the Big 2 seem to be constantly cranking out said garbage, drowning out any good work they might be doing. It's my impression that they do this in a futile attempt to be relevant and ride trends to sell books - bad marketing, basically. What ever happened to creating great stories and letting people love the comics for that instead of blindly stabbing fingers into everything looking for the hot button issue? Honestly, the window dressing on the story matters to me way less than just enjoying a good read.

3) I'm noticing a correlation in your statement between "terrible eras of comics" and gag-level breasts. I propose that there is an inverse relationship overall between anatomy in comics and quality... almost as if writers went: "Well, this writing is horrid. Let's slap some disproportionate anatomy on this character and distract the readers from how dumb our story is." Perhaps this applied to everything.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nah.

4) I disagree with you strongly, however, in that Disney should 100% take over Transformers. How is it that Disney produced a song named "A Place Called Slaughter Race" and to date Transformers haven't had a SINGLE MUSICAL. Get on that shit, IDW television division.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RNSrobot

HEY SHUT UP WITH YOUR AMAZING IDEAS

I badly want starscream's solo lament in spotlight.

Also: awwwww yeahhhhhh strong guy

• Like Like x 1
  7. RNSrobot

Nahhhhhh that is a misrepresentation. I mean, marvel is also the same company that decided lolcap is actually and always was a nazi and let the author be a total pieceof shit online and dismissed basically every legitimate criticism of their stupid tone deaf story. Don't listen to the trumpets of whiney manboys. I mean, dude, kamala Khan fucking rocks. Jane Foster thor was great comics.i think honestly the weird response gives marvel entirely TOO MUCH CREDIT for their supposed "progressives." They have a long fuckin' way to go. YMMV but careful on that impression --- there's an appalling amount of bad faith actors out there bleating.

But yeah there's lots of crap for a variety of reasons at marvel. I'm less familiar with DC's current output cos the nu52 entirely put me off. I've heard tons of awesome things about tom King's batman. I'm also pretty bummed at the cutting and closure of vertigo. So wtf knows.

Again. SPIDER CLONE SAGA. OVER FOUR MONTHLIES. FOR LITERALLY YEARS.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh no, please don't misunderstand. I've got no issue with progressive anything. I think there's plenty of room for diversity in comics as well as great storylines. I liked that cartoon with Squirrel Girl and Kamala Khan and I find Gwenpool adorable.

However, I also think that in Marvel and DC's desperation to stay relevant they're willing to wildly throw anything to anyone if they think it's cool, shocking, or trendy - decisions that result in NaziCap or [insert a terrible comic with any kind of overt message that stymies the story here].

In short, I think marvel is prone to engage in bad marketing decisions as opposed to consciously doing anything "progressive". Basically, I agree with you and just worded it in a less succinct manner.

Also, yes. I want a Megatron cover of "Be Prepared" from the Lion King so badly right now. Also, bonus points if Starscream is voiced by James Woods to do a "My Town" cover:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Prime time 101

Prime time 101 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    “trumpets of whiney manboys” huh lol smh and Jane fosters Thor was shit so no marvel needs to keep their hands away from transformers I don’t want to see Arcee x Windblade and megatron and Optimus in a relationship, please and thank you

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019