Anyone else tired of the "you have to buy it now" culture that's developed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBeastman, Apr 28, 2021.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you strifez for the logistics info. Don’t quite agree with you about the middle part about Europe having a better social system but no biggie.
    These two are deeply interconnected. Hard to talk about one and not the other.

Netflix wave 2 is a bad example. Personally, it is still my opinion that hasbro would be smart enough to make bee and soundwave full retail in a non-COVID world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about Nintendo.

Here's the but:

I can and do blame retailers, companies, for these practices that put profits over customer service. That's really what's happening here.

Previously, stock wasn't dumped all at once, either. It was made throughout the year, and if you couldn't find what you were looking for in Feb, you could find it the next month. Or the next. People came back regularly anyways, and this went for all toys. Timing the market for popular buying times isn't some new notion, either.

Tell me, how hard was it for you to find.any given N64 game back in the day? It wasn't. Nintendo isn't shy about creating fake demand by restricting supply artificially, but their products in the 90s were not hard to source. Ordering through the mail didn't require preorders, etc. It didnt cost much more either, unlike today's premium for stores that price higher to make up for less sales volume.

The psychology companies use today creates profits at the expense of the collector who isn't plugged into the scene. I'm not singling out Hasbro, either.

Like I said, it really makes you rethink what their actions cause. I'm not a hardcore collector, either. Ultimately we are talking about toys made for children, and that shouldn't cause anxiety, because "they don't make toys for collectors". Without opening that can of worms, I'll just say that it was better the way ot was before and be done with the topic.

Creating a fake atmosphere of scarcity among toys that 'weren't intended to be collectible", only to leave collectors at the mercy of scalpers and pre-orders takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    In the 90s you might run into a Chrono Trigger or a Final Fantasy Whatever that was hard to find. They were rare occasions and I assume it was because of genuine demand.

Anyway, I stopped collecting anything the past year for various reasons, one of which definitely was the tiresome pursuit of preorders. Preorder culture in general is exhausting. Why do we have to preorder anything?

• Like Like x 6
  4. bufferunderrun

bufferunderrun Well-Known Member

The problem about preorder is common nowadays with many products and happen because the production volumes are kept low to avoid surplus just in case.
    Thing are that way even for big giants like apple and the iPhone the difference is that with iphone you don’t have to fear not getting it but eventually you need to wait a month or two before the volumes are adjusted and everyone get it.
    With toys and especially transformers that don’t happen if you miss the preorder you most likely won’t get it because hasbro don’t keep producing them even if there is a demand they seem to work with a set in stone quantity ance reached is game over; even more if that is a retail exclusive because walmart not gonna push for restock a bunch of toys just before summer.
    Hasbro should’ve made pulse worldwide and made base product available if retailers want exclusive the best way is to do a repack.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  6. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just to drive home the point I was making, let's talk about Tuesday 5/11 real quick. The below applies to US/CA people. And yes, it's snarky.

Today at 1pm, Hasbro sent a mass mail.

upload_2021-5-12_3-39-13.png

Oh shit! New pre-order.

Oh look what it was:

upload_2021-5-12_3-39-54.png

The Beast Wars Grimlock and Earth Mode Mirage Retool we knew was coming months ago (side note: Mirage has a really surprising number of new parts... he's like a 50% new figure at least).

Good golly good gosh, that's inconvenient! No heads up (which is lame!). But I wasn't at my computer! What am I to do?

Oh wait it's 2021. Good thing we all have these little wonderful rectangles gizmos in our pockets!

[​IMG]

And like that, I'm done by 1:13pm EST. Pre-orders in! Grimlock and Mirage will be mine!

But wait! I usually pre-order on Amazon to take advantage of savings! And they're not up yet! Crikey, that's quite the conundrum!

So two hours later I get home, pre-orders are still open. I place them there. So what happens to my Pulse orders?

upload_2021-5-12_3-47-10.png

This is the way. I have pages of this stuff.

In short, Hasbro did a really uncool thing and ambushed us with an exclusive drop. That is legitimately something that needs to stop (sometimes they give a heads up, sometimes they don't). But even the worst case scenario - today with zero heads up - less than three minutes on a smartphone's web browser was all it took to get my name in line. And then later on, I moved my pre-order to Amazon and canceled my "pre-order of last resort" to the retailer of my choice. If Amazon had sold out in that time, I would still have that pre-order I put, on my phone, by excusing myself for 3 minutes.

The key part here is I did not decide I was going to buy Mirage and Grimlock today. That was mechanical. I decided three months ago. "Buy it now" culture does not exist for this item, even though the Pulse pre-orders have since sold out, because if you knew it was coming, which you should have as a saavy collector, you've had literally months to brew on it. You knew Mirage was going to be a retool of his ER mold. You knew Grimlock was going to be a white and bronze Dinobot with a new head, sure the details of both were up in the air, and if they were REALLY BAD you could always say no. But you knew what they would be from at least their baseline starting point: two molds that have been in the wild for some ti me. So you knew what we were getting more or less. Deciding was something that was done anytime before today.

Practice this, and buy-it-now culture is defunct in most cases.

Or don't, and complain about the inequity of the world not waiting for you to make up your mind before market forces cause this to be sold as a $75 item on ebay.

It's your choice.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, I'm not a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Ever sense chaos on volictron box set i fell like I have to be on the offensive to get what I need for my collection, I'm glad I'm on the far end of collecting

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I even took 15 minutes to compare these photos with my Siege Mirage in both modes. Happy for the upgrade and plenty of time to place my order!

• Like Like x 2
  10. RamenJunkie

RamenJunkie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I had already decided before the pandemic that I was going to start pre ordering more, but even with that mindset, the "Buy it now" culture has literally killed my interest in collecting anything.

It's worse because it's not even "pre order it". It's literally "buy it now, within 5 minutes, or it's gone. You have to sit on the news and be ready to jump and it's too stressful. At this point I don't even follow any domestic lines hardly at all and have a handful of pre orders on Ami Ami for imports. I've been collecting for something like 25 years now too.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

I did basically the same thing as you, but this doesn't make buy it now culture defunct, it perpetuates it. You had to buy something the second you saw it because you know it won't be available months later when it actually releases. THAT'S the buy it now culture the OP is talking about. And woe to anyone who decided to pass today on this who watches the video reviews in a couple of months and changes their mind because it will probably be too late by then.

In my case I pre ordered it on both Hasbro and Amazon so I'm covered if Amazon cancels on me again, and I'm still not sure if I'm keeping it or not. I'll watch some reviews in hand and then decide. But I know that I have to pre order today, and then decide in a couple of months, and then receive the product a month or so after that. Which is a ridiculous process for toys.

• Like Like x 3
  12. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's funny how some cannot understand that with the way things are, there is absolutely no difference between the "buy it now" (or it will be out of stock and you missed it) and the "pre-order in now" (or it will be out of stock as the pre-order numbers of stock expected will be filled and you missed it), except that one would ship right away and the other will ship when the stock arrives.

Even worst is the fact that there has been a LOT of pre-orders that ended up being cancelled by the sellers that simply didn't get the numbers that they were expecting, making the pre-orders more of a risk compared to a "buy it now" (which represents the items as being in actual stock).

Trouble is, as per this thread, so many figures are "blink and you missed it", and many collectors aren't glued to their phones/computers like some believes to be normal. This is about toys and shouldn't be a stressful compulsive thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Chareos

Chareos Needs New Omnibots

News Credits:
    If this thread had a poll, I'd vote "yes".

• Like Like x 2
  14. Legion9186

Legion9186 Well-Known Member

What I don't like about this "buy it now" culture are the damned pre-orders. I hate waiting months for something and having my pre-orders locked in various sites to get it in the ones that gets the figures first.

Do they manufacture the figures based on pre-order numbers?

I would love that when the day the announcements come, for example for Kingdom Wave 3, that all the figures are ready to be shipped and not to place a pre-order and wait 4 months to get them... also the reviewers getting them months before everyone else makes me more anxious to get them lol but I think that is my own inpatient self.

15. Foster

News Credits:
    The only examples of this I've ever seen with Transformers are Haslab Unicron and Takara Legends Grand Maximus (with the unmet stretch goal for the Grand Pretender shell).

16. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

Emphasis mine. It sounds like you implicitly agree that 'you have to buy it now culture' does actually exist, and your strategy to defeat is buy it 'before' now, so to speak. I don't disagree that it's easier than ever to stay abreast of figure news and pre-order figures, but the implicit assumption here is that if you don't do that, you will be forced to decided to 'buy it now', assuming you are lucky enough to even have that opportunity in the first place. On top of that, not everyone is as savvy as your are, and it seems arrogant to assume everyone would be.

Sure, the smart choice is to make your pre-order, but not every fan is going to do that, either because they cannot afford to, aren't sure they want to, or literally don't know about the option. Once we're outside the world of pre-orders, we're in the world of availability, and as someone who has never actually pre-ordered anything (for a combination of all three reasons above) I do very much feel a sense that in many cases the one or two opportunities I've had to buy certain figures have felt like the only option at the time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Foster

News Credits:
    I mean, if you don't want to commit to buying X figure for whatever reason that's perfectly valid. But when other fans do make the choice to follow the news, read their emails, and commit with a preorder, and the major retailers have put quantity limits in effect and don't take money up front, I don't know what else they're supposed to do.

• Like Like x 2
  18. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's actually more of a question of:

1) saying: "buy it now culture does not exist" then followed by "I bought it right away when it came up on pre-order" is so freaking ironic that my irony meter broke.
    2) knowing that something is coming does NOT mean anything whatsoever as until it's actually announced, seen and available to order, it simply doesn't "exist" or available.... rumors, leaks, possibly coming, all have zero meaning as it's known that some figures can ed up cancelled, be a different one than rumored/leaked, etc. and that's on top of not seeing what it looks like and may be totally different from what one wants and ends up being a "skip".

Just saying the "savy" thing is just.... well, what I've already stated about what's wrong with such people. This is a hobby, it's about fun, it's about toys, but so many have lost that and turned what they call collecting into some sort of ego thing. I've been collecting probably longer than most on here and never have I claimed anything towards being "better" over it (just that's I've seen a lot and am old for it)... the day I'd proclaim myself an expert or being "savy" like some do, is the day that I know I should walk away from collecting.

• Like Like x 3
  19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unlikely in manufacturing driven environment. Back during the Botcon days, Funpub could have pre-orders sold out for Botcon sets or club exclusives and would have to go through hoops and were not always successful in getting orders increased. The freebie membership figures were farther out (over a year?) and had more wiggle room.

In today's world, maybe only Amazon would have the clout if they cared. But unlikely. as TF's are still small potatoes to them.

EDIT: FYI, Walmart has more clout than Amazon but they care even less and are way more disorganized if talking about pre-orders.

• Like Like x 1
  20. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Defunct was the wrong word. I'd say it mitigates it to a degree that it is irrelevant. Because YES it's a thing, but it's also extremely easy to navigate. I believe I said this repeatedly in this thread.

If deciding if you want it from leaks / intuition is not good enough. People should also pre-order to decide. A good example is I pre-ordered SG Megatron. I don't really know if I want it. I have nearly every copy of that goddamn Megatron mold. I don't collect SG. This one is certainly unique and has unique parts. But Pre-order in for now just in case. I'll decide how much I want him closer to release. But that's the exception for me. We *knew* what ER Prowl was going to more or less be from ER Sideswipe. We *knew* what ER Ratchet was going to more or less be from Siege Ratchet. We *knew* what KD Galvatron was going to be from leaks.

It is inconceivable to me that people come to this website, partake in this hobby, spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on it per year only to have their decision making process be so laggard that they actually feel like they need orders to be open, and sit there, stare at the screen and think about it before it goes in. As if that act of submitting the order is a commitment or a sacrament. it's nothing. It's mechanical. You decide early... commit then and order. Or you order mechanically and decide later. In either case, you can always cancel later. But so long as your pre-orders are fulfilled, it minimizes buy it now culture to something meaningless because you have, through treating the act of buying as a mechanical act separate from decision making, created immense time for yourself.