Anyone else sick of Adult Swim?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rodimus Prime, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree... I definitely miss Space Ghost, HBM and Sealab type shows. Yeah, I think it's down hill with Metal and Chicken being the only redeeming shows.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, no Frisky Dingo fans? It's the only A.S. show I watch, but it's seriously one of my favorite shows ever.

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Meh, frisky dingo is alright I guess. Doesn't change how much garbage they keep showing though/

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Yeah, Im not too crazy at what's being shown on there lately. Frisk Dingo is okay, I wont go out of my way to watch it, but if I happen across it, I watch it. I watched Xavier: Rogue Angel the other day and it was kind of funny, but also nothing happened, it was a bunch of random garbage thrown together (So is Robot Chicken, but then the viewer knows he's watching shorts).

Wish they could thrown in some new Anime, I have a respect for AS taste when it comes to that. Their best decision in that part was airing Ghost In the Shell :p 

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Adult Swim has pretty much always had a few shows I like and a few shows I can't stand. Current and recent shows I've liked in the lineup, counting only AS original content, include Venture Bros., Boondocks, Robot Chicken, Frisky Dingo, and Metalocalypse. That's more original shows I've liked on AS within about a year than there's ever been, really. Then again, I'm one of the people who's never really liked ATHF or Sealab.

They really, REALLY need to stop letting Tim and Eric make shows though.

6. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

seriously,adult swim has really gone down hill

I can't even watch one show all the way without checking to see if I'm not high

the only shows I can watch all the way are family guy,american dad,futurama,and robot chicken

and what makes it worse is that they got rid of futurama

7. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

I miss classic cartoon network..

I'm starting to lose all hope for cartoon network

8. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Amen, it's gotten to the point where you don't have to see some of these shows to know they are garbage (i.e. Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, Saul of the Molemen, Xavier: Renegade Angel) not to mention everyone knows that any anime worth watching is only worth watching so in Japanese so basically the take the heart and soul out of any good anime that is still out there. (Granted, personally I have found anime tireing and gave up on it after Bleach.)

As for the rest of CN only a few shows remain watchable, as opposed to back in the day when practically anything on the station was good stuff but now they give us garbage like Chowder, Camp Lazlo, Out of Jimmy's Head ect. Although, I do suppose it should be kept in mind CN main audience is SUPPOSED to be kids and it's rather obvious that we wouldn't like most of it's regular programing. AS on the other hand has no such excuse.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hey! I like my english voice overs, makes it so much easier to catch up on shows like Ghost In The Shell. :) 

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, there are a few animes with really good voice English dubs, Ghost in the Shell and Azumanga Daioh are a couple that come to mind.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

On New Years day or whatever, they had that marathon of all their first episodes of their original programing starting from newest to oldest...and there was almost nothing good on till like 4 am...which I believe was the Venture Bros. As of now, there are very few things I'll watch and the rest I just can NOT leave on my TV. I may have never been a big ATHF fan, but at least I could leave it on and not be sick to my stomach.

And live action shows have no place on Cartoon Network OR Adult Swim. Especially the crap they're pumping out.

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I miss the 90's when Space Ghost Coast to Coast was on late at night and they had those laugh-tracks dubbed over old cartoons.

13. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Well then how do you explane the fact that the dub of Cowboy Bebop is better than the Japanese track?

14. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Thats a load of crap.

15. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I'm no anime expert, but I think that Cowboy Bebop is a glaring exception to the rule that dub-overs usually S-U-C-K. Its worse in film, obviously, but when I see some of those Japanese cartoons come on cartoon network late at night, its usually just barely "meh," and nearly unwatchable because the voice acting is so bad (note that I even think the argument could be made that the Japanese track of Bebop is equal to the English). Though in fairness, some of the Nihongo voice acting ain't so great, either, in my opinion.

Anyway, back on topic, I have been sick of the "random comedy" shows on Adult Swim for years (since around the time that Captain Murphy on Sealab passed on). I also think that the ATHF movie was beyond horrible (I couldn't even watch past 20 minutes, and I used to be a huge fan). I began watching in the 90s when Cartoon Planet and Space Ghost: Coast to Coast were the only wacky late night shows of note, but the creators of those shows and others of their ilk have just gotten stale.

Venture Brothers seriously rules, though. Possibly the greatest geek-targeted show ever.

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Venture Bros, Robot Chicken, and Metalocalypse are pretty much the only things left on Adult Swim that are watchable. Other than that, it's either really shit-tastic cartoons that you have get drugged up to enjoy (examples: ATHF, Tim and Eric, Morel Oral, Squidbillies...) or anime they keep airing in endless oceans of reruns.

I really miss Sealab 2021, Space Ghost, Harvey Birdman, and the Brak Show. Those were awesome.

17. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heh, I forgot all about the brak show, that was awesome.

Another totally crap show(thank god it got cancelled after a season, hasn't gone into reruns, and I think CN is trying to disavow all knowledge of it's existence), Assy McGee. Wtf were they thinking. But then the rest of AS just got worse anyway, so go figure.

Did they ever actually make more than 1 episode of korgoth? I remember watching it on the AS website as a premier like 2 years ago, then they aired it again on AS a few months back, then nothing.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you found out their success.. Idiots smoking pot might find the shows very funny. Us who don't just think "WTF?"

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think AS is just throwing out there a bunch of different things and seeing what becomes popular. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff they've been throwing out is bad. I can't wait till new Venture Bros returns. I also love Moral Oral.

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No love for Harvey Birdman? you disappoint me.

They're supposed to be starting to show Garth Marenghi's Darkplace on adult swim. I remember watching it when it was first on here in 2004.

fantastic show.