Anyone else retroactively think CW/UW were actually really cool?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Grand Architect, Apr 7, 2020.

1. rockHard

rockHard Well-Known Member

Superion is my favourite, I have 2 CW and one UW.

I think the CW stunticons are the coolest team, at least in alt modes, with no repeated molds. I actually prefer it with Offroad, woohooo shoot me!

When shuttle blast off was released I saw people commenting how they had sold off their CW sets. That's nuts, I'll never sell any of these. I've bought duplicates of most torsos in case any of them break (my kids play with them too)

I'm not that keen on the beast limb bots, so for me CW is far better than PotP.

I bought most of them at the time they were released, the Technobots and UW Superion were the only late additions. I loved them all back then, and they are still the highlights of my Generations collection.

The only thing I really hated was Motormaster's torso mode.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Still love CW/UW. I have all the releases from both lines except Megatronia and Lynxmaster. I really regret not getting Megatronia though, now she is super expensive.

They all have their hits and misses. I did not mind the "new" team members that much, although I was still glad when they released the proper members. Now I just display the new guys next to their Combiners.

One thing I did notice is that I have a good amount of stress marks on the deluxe figures. I did play with them, but not a lot and like a 5 year old. LOL. Not just in the port holes for the HFG either.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

One thing I will mention is that I don't even know how Hasbro managed to screw up Brawl. He has the distinction of being the only mainline limb bot who was not designed for mold reuse for another combiner, something none of the other molds do.

And yet somehow, everything from above his torso is just a blend of weird design. His abdomen amounts to a single hinge that locks in at a weird angle so looking at him from the side reveals how thin that part is, as opposed to something that at least looks more solid and chunky (he's a TANK for crying out loud), and his arms...I get they were trying to invoke the G1 toy's tread shoulders but when your design has stump arms that are so short, you can't put in the gun and what amounts to the gun stock prevents the elbow from bending whatsoever, that's just inconceivable to think that they'd allow that in this day and age. Even that god awful AoE Lockdown figure had functional elbows while holding his gun. And yes, the tank cannon is removable to be a gun but given the G1 look keeps it pinned upward on his back, that's not exactly an acceptable alternative for a failure to do something literally every other figure can do because their arms are long enough.

At the very least he does form a very stable Bruticus Leg and looks good with the group on the shelf, which is what mine does 99% of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Ebay:
    I wouldn't exactly say "retroactively". I felt kinda meh about when it first came out (mind you, six years ago...), but I've had it grow on me as it when on. Let's see if I can remember my guys in order... from 2016-19

- CW Torchbearers (My first set)
    - CW Technobots
    - UW Constructicons
    - CW Protectobots
    - UW Aerialbots
    - UW Combaticons
    - POTP Terrorcons
    - CW Stunticons (with Wildrider)

As much as it looks like one, this isn't supposed to be a flex, more of a... timeline, of sorts. I was so excited to get a combiner as my collection was really small back then, and Vicky was the cheapest one at the time. But I grew enamored with them, and over the years, I managed to get all the classics. I'm not gonna lie, I'm definitely eyeballing Predaking and Piranhacon. Even with their flaws, I still love them. Even if a new line updates or flat out makes better ones, I'll still keep these guys. The 3p combiners already kinda put them to shame, but they're the best I can get and that's fine by me.

The only things that I really didn't like about Combiners Wars is the same thing they did for the whole trilogy; "Let's make everybody a combiner/titan master!"

Honestly, pretty much everyone is great, Devastator is amazing, Bruticus is good, and Menasor is fine (I mean c'mon, he can at least stand). I care more about the individual bots anyway, and display them as such.

All things considered, if this ramble says anything, yeah I dig 'em. I dig 'em a lot.

5. Revoticus

Revoticus Well-Known Member

I love combining gimmicks so CW was the line where I bought a lot of the toys even though I didn't get every member of the combiner (because some of them were hard to find).

6. Chareos

Chareos The last in line

News Credits:
    Didn't get CW at the time, but now I'm going back and cherry picking cool deluxes that I like as standalone figures.

7. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

CW and UW broke me. I had never gone completionist on it or anything but, wow did I buy a lot of scramble city guys. I even got that retail Scattershot at a discount chain for kitbashing purposes (That I still need to finish). I hunted for Sky-Lynx because I fell in love with the combine-mode head, if you can't tell. I even got a couple of the 84 cars because I wanted more scramble options. Cyclonus? Yup. Battle Core Prime? Why not? Victorion? At the price I got her for? Of course! I'm just lucky I never found (or looked for) A Wreck-gar in the wild or I might have gotten him too. I bought my first shapeways add-on for the sole purpose of correcting the horrible mistake that was the original Blast-Off. Don't even get me started on Devastator and Computron (and Poseidon, least we forget). It's my all-time favorite gimmick and, suffice to say, I spent a lot of money on them. You know, like a sucker.

8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I still am a big fan of CW/POTP combiners. But I did get a lot of mold fatigue especially when they made a boat load of people who were never canonically combiners. I don't mind new characters like Victorion or Alpha Bravo or Rook, I just don't think Wheeljack should be a combiner. Because of the size of the CW/POTP combiners, I actually got a few 3p combiners instead of the Titan combiners. So my Devestator is Maketoys and my Predaking is Unique Toys. I'm toying with the idea of getting Megatronia in a week or so. I also want Baldigus by the end of the year (i'm coming into A LOT of money at some point, like enough to buy a house a lot, so I am going to get a few figures just to make me happy)

oh and I like pie

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

Personally I think the line was fantastic overall. Sure, all the criticisms are completely true. Tons of mold reuse. Some of the molds weren't amazing like Dragstrip, Breakdown, and Brawl if only for his weird middle torso piece that's been talked about. I do have to say though Brawl does look real good despite the bad torso joint. I have mine rotated around incorrectly so it looks a bit better. I would like also liked to see a few more unique molds like for Lightspeed since his car is different than the two car molds we had. I would have liked to see Votex have a remolded helicopter figure to make him different than Blades. Also for that matter - why does Blades have missile arms? Isn't he a rescue helicopter? I would have liked to see more differences between Fireflight and Slingshot like they did for Air Raid and Skydive (though I get Slingshot was a straight repaint exclusive).

All that said though they did (and still are with the Seacons) trying to get us every combiner. I mean we even got Leokaiser (why we didn't get Leazack from Potp Starscream I'm not sure). Many of the reworked molds are good. To me you can't immediately tell Skydive and Air Raid are mostly the same mold. Same with Rook and Swindle (and UW Nosecone for that matter). UW Strafe and shuttle Blast Off don't look that similar either. For those that say most of the limbs are similar so are the original G1 combiner limbs really. Overall it gave us a whole ton of characters since each combiner is 5-6 characters. I don't think without a combiner specific line we would have gotten without a combiner specific line. Honestly until they do another combiner wars line I doubt we'll see many of these characters ever redone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SlagNotSlug

SlagNotSlug Well-Known Member

Thinking back some more about the 1984ers who were repurposed into combiners, the only one that really worked for me was Prowl. No, the bot mode didn't look like the original, but it was a nice looking toy (great colors, great headsculpt, good mold).

I was glad that I didn't get CW Hound and Wheeljack; the Siege and Earthrise versions are far better.

11. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, honestly if anything I'm retroactively not liking the line and regretting investing so much into it.

At the end of the day, I just don't use the combined modes often.

There's still several standouts from the line that I love as individual figures (Fireflight, Swindle, Streetwise, Skylynx, and Rook, for example, are figures I absolutely adore completely independent of their ability to combine).

But yeah. I have so many of some incredibly similar figures and while I really like the idea of having Superion, or Bruticus, or G2 Gestalts... I really didn't need them.

Doesn't help that Titans Return, Siege, and Earthrise keep informing me of "things that I wanted but didn't know I wanted."

I mean, more power to everyone who loved the line. It just sorta stopped resonating with me, which is bizarre because "fully articulate Scramble-City Combiners whose kibble turns into weapons" sounds like something kid-Soundwinder would wish on a shooting star.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  12. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

I don't mind most of the blatant repaints because they're so easy to ignore. Sky Reign is a pretty cool combiner, and I like Sky Lynx, but the limbs pretty much don't exist to me. That standalone Scattershot was a bad joke, and I couldn't bring myself to buy Hasbro's Computron either. But the UW version is great, and was all I needed. Baldigus was everything anyone should have expected. The other repaints - Cyclonus, Optimus Maximus, Grand Galvatron, Victorion, Megatronia, all the limited edition ones - they were all take it or leave it to me. Some I got, some I didn't but nobody was forcing me.

The only main repaints that are wrong, I think, are Slingshot, Wildrider, Lightspeed, Afterburner, Scattershot, and Blades. Personally, I never notice Slingshot, even though I know his alt mode bugs some people. Wildrider is just a victim of being so early in the line. All they had to do is remold the hood and the back of the legs, and he would be fine too. As it is, you can transform both his and Dead End's hoods differently, so they both come out fairly accurate and don't look identical. Blades and the Technobots are the only real problems. Blades is upside down, and just completely wrong in all modes. But I think I've gotten used to him by now. The three UW Technobots are reasonably close in combined mode. Scattershot and Lightspeed weren't totally off close in alt mode, but really could have used more remolding. Afterburner's bot mode made up for the alt mode, and the other bot modes weren't too bad either. I think the mess that was Hasbro's Technobots made a lot of people give those three a pass when they were released. Given what they did with the Dinobots, Terrorcons, and Seacons, I don't really mind the early corner cutting given that Hasbro was still finding its footing at the time.

I would probably be sort of mad about Leokaiser if I was a JG1 fan, but given his relative obscurity and the difficulty of doing him properly, I can sort of understand. If I was really into him, I wouldn't have been satisfied with a POTP Starscream repaint.

13. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Not retroactively, as they were cool even when they first came out, my interest didn't really start to wane for CW until they started just making minor retools in the last year.

14. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

I thought they were cool and fun at the time and i still do. No retroactively about it.

15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought CW/UW was amazing, except making Devy so huge. As someone who started again with 3rd party Maketoys and Fansproject combiners, I loved how easy they were to transform and combine. Plenty of room for improvements, but so simple and effective.

Now Titans Returns, ugh. I hate the Headmasters gimmick with a passion. Give me a Perceptor, Blurr, Kup, etc without that stupid gimmick.

16. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Wow, the vitriol at the start of this thread that's supposed to be about how cool CW/UW is...

Anyway, for me it's not retroactive. I was actually MORE excited about CW than any other line that's come out over the last 15 years, except maybe Animated.
    I absolutely LOVE Abominus, Predaking, Defensor, and UW Computron. There's still some that I want, like Devastator, Megatronia, Baldigus, Liokaiser, and the newly-released Piranacon, plus I need a Brake-Neck.
    Yes, there's an insane number of remolds/redecos (I'm not really a fan of Lightspeed shaped like a Lancia Stratos), but with some they did an amazing job with it; Offroad is just OK, but First Aid is awesome.
    And yes, they did shoehorn some G1 characters into combiners to extend the line, but I didn't bother with any of them.

17. Skavatar

Skavatar Well-Known Member

I sort of started "collecting" TF just a few weeks ago, Siege and Earthrise. Mainly b/c my 7yr old son was starting to get into Transformers, and old enough to be able to transform the toys as these new toys are more complicated than the G1 toy line, and they were more or less cartoon accurate. And also a few months ago I found a few of my G1 toys in my parents' garage when we went to visit them, which brought back a lot of nostalgia.

I had The Constructicon set when I was little, I remember playing with them as individuals much much more than as Devastator. Devastator was a novelty, copied from Voltron. He was cool as an idea, but in reality was more of a statue than a toy. A few years ago I got my son the Power Rangers Movie zords, and it is huge when combined, it was almost as tall as he was. Same problem, looks cool, but more of a giant statue with limited playability.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I bought quite a few:

Bombshell
    Cyclonus
    Defensor
    Devastator
    Hot Rod
    Megatron
    Menasor
    Optimus Prime
    Powerglide
    Skywarp
    Thundercracker
    Ultra Magnus

Of all those the only two I kept was Defensor and Devastator.

19. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Great line. We still need G2 Defensor, Leozack and Deathcobra

-