Anyone else retroactively think CW/UW were actually really cool?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Grand Architect, Apr 7, 2020.

1. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Agree with both @KuroKage2001 and @artiepants about the "Blast-off". Hell, the Fireflight head would have at least been a better match. Once I got a head @Venksta I was completely satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm no saint. I'm a deviant dragshow dinner. I can only go up, my friend!

Plus, if you were me right now you'd be positive as hell. Transformers hasn't been this good since the 80s! I just don't have any positivity to extend to Combiner Wars!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I don't expect us to get a better or more complete focus on combiners in the next 10 years, so I loved it actively and not retroactively. There were shortcuts taken to give us good gestalt modes and yeah, there were a lot of crappy repaints that shouldn't have taken up shelf space but Hasbro were still experimenting and finding the groundwork for the lines we're getting today.

4. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Real talk. This is the kind of shit that I'm talking about that irritated me back in 2014.

What does it matter to you that I'm only interested in G1 Transformers? The problem lies, 100%, absolutely, with you. You cannot accept that others have a differing opinion than you. You cannot accept that others like different things, and may not like the things you like. Because me liking G1 literally does not affect you any way, shape or form, yet you see fit to imply that I **MUST** like the things you want me to like, because doing otherwise is a, in your words, a "horrible mindset."

Because this is a big fandom, with lots of different people and lots of different opinions and ideas. The view that I only value G1, that I only want G1, and only care about G1, is absolutely valid, along with any other Transformers worldview that may exist. You don't buy my Transformers toys, so you literally have no right to tell me what is right or wrong in this collecting hobby. The only one that makes that decision is me and me alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked it but did not not love as much as tr

• Like Like x 2
  6. grindcore138

grindcore138 TIME TO DELIVER A PIZZA BALL!

News Credits:
    I don't know how you don't realise this, but your preference for G1 is not the thing that rubs people the wrong way, it's that you can't express it without then ranting about how if it's not to your taste then it's stupid shit trash that you'd only buy for target practice.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

I wish they made the entire ark crew into combiners. I absolutely love them and think there better then the siege and earthrise ones, and will not be replacing them in my collection

• Like Like x 1
  8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So, which torso bot makes for the most stable combiner?

9. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

hun-gurr

• Like Like x 1
  10. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Only for the Combiner Wars guys. I doubt you'll find me saying it for anyone else outside of this very exclusive group. I certainly don't like anything else but I'm not gonna bother anyone with it. The Combiner Wars shit really rubbed me the wrong way, I'm tellin' ya.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice. Maybe I’ll finally open him...lol...

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I thought they were pretty good for the most part, they hold up just fine with the newer stuff...in so far as the actual official teams do, and to this I extend to the "newbies" Alpha Bravo, Offroad, and Rook, since I recognize that at least Alpha Bravo was necessary for the bigger picture of Combiner Wars saving money on mold reuse (since of the four "main" combiners, two of them had helicopter limbs and one of the two that didn't was aviation themed anyway). What I DIDN'T like was all the non-combiner limb G1 guys being remakes of combiner limbs and people inexplicaby thinking they were so great.

Seriously, why did we need another set of core G1 guys when we could have easily gotten some kind of crazy RID themed combiner, where we had Spychanger limbs (Offroad's mold was PERFECT for Cowprint Ironhide, the fact we did not get this is a crime given we got that mold as an Ironhide anyway!), and then had a minorly retooled Hot Spot as RID Optimus?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Not really. Everyone became a retool or repaint and it just didn't look good.

14. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

This topic is so depressing I'm glad I don't listen to you and suicide my collection.

15. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

Yeah, his hips are useless out of the box but they're fixable.

Minor/Repaint: - POTP Abominus Hip Fix

16. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    I liked it then, and I still do. IMG_20200226_091841.jpg

Always. Cool.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

Yeah, my Motormaster was a victim. I figured I'd have a little fun with it.

UW Motormaster has disintegrated from the waist

One sacrificial CW Motormaster later he was good as new. I never did paint his stomach but it doesn't show in combined mode.

Hmm - I've had the PE kit for awhile. I forgot how good Menasor can look without it.

18. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

Superion... of those, my JP Technobots are the most firm. I'd put the skylynx/liokaiser mold as second, he's a bit top heavy but not infirm in ways like the Optimus or Hotspot molds can be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

They had me at Devastator. I know the individual bots have articulation issues and Long Haul's proportions are odd, but I still like them and the head sculpts are fantastic. Looks fantastic combined and goes well with the old school Masterpiece that had the toon style with a more modernized look.

20. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was really excited about Superion when it came out, and then menasor came out - and I was not thrilled with the similarity in the deluxes and the fact that it didn't work all that well in combined mode.

I became a complete non-fan of the line due to all the delxues being very similar.

That said - I still like Superion, I sill like leader megatron, and devastator is one of my favorites of any line.

• Like Like x 1