Anyone else retroactively think CW/UW were actually really cool?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Grand Architect, Apr 7, 2020.

1. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still kinda regret not having the money to get Ruination. RiD is what I grew up with.

As for the new WFC alongside PWT, I agree completely. For example, CW Sunstreaker looks a heck of a lot better with Siege Sideswipe than with the Universe 08 one. PotP Jazz looks good enough alongside the rest of the Ark crew from Siege.

2. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's twice Defensor got nixed form the G2 line up.
    And then they give us Inferno and Wreck-Gar in PotP, both of whom are clearly meant to evoke G2 Defensor (red fire engine, orange motorcycle) and then nothing.
    It's still not finished.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too!! At this point I would buy CW Ratchet. I'm a limb bot short from completing the Inferno combiner and you don't know how many times I've been tempted to buy that terrible Red Swoop.

4. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd personally go for Medix, but that's me.
    Hell, turn the Prowl mold into Checkpoint and the Skyburst/Stormclash mold into RBA Whirl.
    Release them all in Selects. Boom. G2 Defensor complete.
    Sure, it's not the Protectobots/Defensor proper, but at this point I don't care.
    I just want it done.
    I'll even track this down for the blue chest plate.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I like UW Devastator, Bruticus and Computron. Best sets IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Grand Architect

The Grand Architect Banned

Totally agree, I feel like the limb-bots are more aesthetically consistent with the WFC stuff.

Also—for shits n gigs I made up a new combiner. I call him Deathkaiser (Deathsaurus + Liokaiser, very creative). I like to think he's like CW Cyclonus in that he can just merge with other bots, but like King Poseidon or Ruination, the torso bot (also named Deathkaiser since he's in charge and 'cause I like saying "Deathkaiser") retains control over the gestalt. He digs hardcore punk and other similar Earth music.

Kinda wish I had that Needlenose so he could have all jet limbs, but I think he's a handsome bot regardless (plus with that Tracks vs Needlenose option from the WFC poll, I imagine a unique Needlenose mold is on someone's radar).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I must be living on my own island because the line was insanely well done and a top tier Generations line by Hasbro / Takara.

• Like Like x 13
  8. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

I still don't get why people are so bent out of shape about the replacements. I was mystified, and a little put off when they put out with the new Stunticon and Aerialbot. Then the first May Mayhem came out, and I saw it for what it was - cash grab, pure and simple. I figured if I waited long enough, I'd get a real Groove. And it didn't take long. Same with Blast Off, even though it took longer than I would have liked. By the time he came out, I'd given up and moved on to UW Bruticus, but he still came out.

That's a pattern Hasbro continues to this day - CW / IDW Magnus, that IDW fans love, and Geewunners will settle for. Then Siege Magnus, so the G1 crew double dips. Siege Datsun Bros with no door wingtips and transform into running shoes. Then ER Smokescreen with the Datsun alt mode and better wings. Be sure Prowl, Bluestreak, and maybe even Barricade are on the way. Siege Prime - that everybody loved, but had a slab on top of his cab and and no trailer. Then ER Prime. Hasbro knows when they're putting out junk, or nerfed products. If you don't want it, feel free to ignore it. They're definitely planning an encore.

G2 Defensor is probably coming too. Inferno, Stepper, and Wreck Gar are already here. You can either use UW Ratchet or First Aid. Only thing missing is a blue helicopter. I'm sure one is all the way, or you can always improvise something if you can't wait.

I have a suspicion that after Scorponok comes out we'll get another round of combiners, but at titan scale, to go with Devy, Omega, and Predaking. I may sit that one out though, I only have so much room to fit stuff.

CW was probably my favorite part of Generations. I'm not that into any of the repaints, but all the originals were really well done, especially if you don't mind the upgrades and fixes that are out there. Somebody finally figured out how to fix Abominus's hips - after that, I don't have any stability issues with any of them, and they go great if you have a mixed collection.

20200407_222959.jpg

20190527_154446.jpg

20200327_154621.jpg

20190531_203115.jpg

20180824_055951.jpg

20190224_175436.jpg

20200128_094440.jpg

20200204_224337.jpg

20190620_195551.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  9. The Grand Architect

The Grand Architect Banned

How do you like Devastator combined next to the other scramble city types? UW version looks really good, but I skipped out since he wasn't the same size as the rest (ditto Predaking, but also his components didn't look as good individually compared to the big green).

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I like how it's bigger than the other CW/UW combiners. Individual Constructicons are good too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I love it for the classics that got redone (Especially Unite Warriors Superion and Computron and CW Defensor and Bruticus) and hate it for the wasted waves of Autobot Cars, terrible Optimus prime mold and in general pushing the repaints/remolds to the absolute limit. By the time they got to Megatronia/Victorion I was so sick of the molds (especially the helicopters) I had zero interest in either set.

Also love the random original characters, and the total out-there-ness of Galvatronus, and that they did the G2 box sets.

I'll always wish Motormaster was a better torso though.

12. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I have to say, picking up CW Devastator probably pushed me to get into collecting again. Once I realized that he kind of stacks up beside the MP scale, it was an easy move to collect. (I have UW Superion, CW Defensor with on-the-chest-Groove, and MISB Bruticus somewhere...)

13. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

I only managed to snag Dragstrip and Onslaught while the line was going on, and they were pretty fun!

Snagged Moonracer, Dreadwind, and Rippersnapper during PoTP, and again they were all fun! But I couldn’t really use the combiner because I had no feet.

This year I caved and finally bought Megatronia and feel completely in love! Five fun molds, excellent paint jobs, some delightfully silly names, and a big ass sword! What’s not to love?

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On their own, no, but with 3P upgrades for most combiner teams, yes. Either way I'm glad they happened, so combiner teams were made available to more than just people willing to pay $400-600+ for 3P combiner teams. Covering redecos like the G2 stuff, Ruination, and others that 3Ps just wouldn't touch was also appreciated.

I'm also someone that still wants a fucking G2 Defensor. That PotP Inferno makes more sense as part of Guard City than it does as a G2 Hot Spot, which I'd also take.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It was a little bit of everything for me. No indication whatsoever that we'd even get the OG guys, the constant talking down by the fandom saying just to "suck it up" and accept the new guys. A knock out combination that legitimately drained me of any enthusiasm I had about Transformers as well as any real desire to be part of the fandom more than just a screen name behind a computer. I'm just thankful Takara saved what little care I had left about Transformers. I would've been a lot less upset if I wasn't told to just "move on" or "accept them" regarding the new guys. As if liking the G1 teams as is with no new guys or no additions was somehow an illegitimate stance to have. Would've been a lot less freaked out had it was known we'd be getting the OG guys somehow.

Had things been just a little different I'd be owning the new guys and I wouldn't even have to be so dramatic about Transformers. But as it is now I'd rather you shoot me in the gut and leave me for dead before I even touch any of the new fuckers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My super short take...individually the bots were lacking(except for Unite Warriors) but as a whole it’s one of the best series I think Hasbro has ever done.

• Like Like x 1
  17. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly think it's one of the best lines made in the Hasbro/Takara's history.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.
    I really don't understand why people bring him up for the G2 Defensor bots.

He's a sports car, not a police cruiser.
    There is a difference.

19. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am with you on this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I think it came very close. The biggest problem is every single limb I bought (which was almost every mold released) had a combiner peg joint too loose to support the weight of the combiner. Those joints needed to be four or five times stronger because I don’t have a single combiner that can do anything beyond standing up completely straight. The combiner hip joints also needed to be much stronger and with a lot more teeth on the Ratchet joints.

That’s honestly what put me off of the Seacons, because I knew they would just be standing at attention and no other pose.

I will say one thing I do credit CW for is the new members. Rook, Alpha Bravo and Offroad were all far more interesting than the repaints they swapped in for. Like most I ended up picking up the G1 limbs afterwards but it just meant my combiner looked a little more bland but the more interesting figure was now freed up for handling.

I've since sold off all but Bruticus, Devastator, Computron and Megatronia from the original run. I don't regret getting rid of both Superions, both Menasors, G2 Bruticus and Victorion. I did keep Offroad and Rook though.

Both Computrons needed the PE Chestplate however the UW also needed the PE Hands and Feet
    Both Superions needed the PE Chestpate, Hands and Feet
    Both Bruticus needed the PE Head, Cannons, Hands and Feet
    Both Menasors needed the PE Chest replacement, Hands and Feet
    Both Defensors needed PE Hands and Feet and the UW looked painfully dull thanks to the cartoon accurate torso pieces
    Victorion and Megatronia did fine on their own although Victorion's 'enthusiastic' painting made the individual bots look like nightmare fuel.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020