Anyone else retroactively think CW/UW were actually really cool?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The Grand Architect, Apr 7, 2020.

1. The Grand Architect

The Grand Architect Banned

Dunno if this merits a thread, but with King Poseidon slowly taking shape, I thought I'd use that as an excuse to revisit the era. Incidentally, I initially skipped over everything from these lines, but having picked up each of the UW boxsets (minus Megatronia, who looks rad as heck, and Devastator, who I don't have room for), and I have to say—they're kind of a blast. I picked up Dreadwind and Darkwing from POTP, although I had no other bots to combine them with, but snagging the different special teams was really fun. I enjoy how... simple, I guess, the overall limb/torso skeletons are, making it really easy to just go back and forth between robot/vehicle/combiner mode. Even with some repetitive transformations, it still feels awesome building them up (I even want to grab Alpha Bravo, Rook, Stepper, Wreck-gar, and Inferno to make a rebuilt Guard City to go against Ruination or some weird Starscream combiner out of the POTP/TFCC jets).

As far as combined modes, I have had a bit of good luck—all mine are pretty solid minus Bruticus (Onslaught's right leg won't quite lock in for combined mode—dude I bought the set from told me up front, making the set cost about the same as the Hasbro team for me; I made my bed there) and Convoy Grand Prime, both of whom suffer from the forward lean. Also, so as to avoid the Takara vs. Hasbro QC thing, as I'm a "¿por qué no los dos?" type and my collection is split between the two, and I'd say the QC overall's about the same—I think you're just as likely to encounter errors across companies. Maaaybe some LG stuff was a bit more solid than the TR equivalents based on the figures I have, but not by miles or anything.

I actually blame Poseidon since I've been keeping Snaptrap in beast/robot mode and Skalor in robot, but the individual bots are actually pretty fun toys? I think the lack of wrist swivels on most/every mold is definitely a line-wide negative, but they've got a lot of personality to them (all of Grand Galvatron, the Bruitcus boys, Motormaster, TFCC Windsweeper, CW Dead End, and Rippersnapper being some of my favorites outside the King Poseidon set). And it's kinda fun to wait for the next two sets to come out; I imagine it kinda feels like waiting for a 3p combiner minus the wait time and complex engineering. Which, for my collecting purposes, is perfect.

I dunno, maybe my standards aren't what they were when I initially tuned out the lines, but among a collection of Generations figures, they've become some of my favorites to pick up and transform. OTOH, I kinda wish I got to enjoy them with everyone else, but going back for the boxsets was one of the highlights of my collecting. They have a good presence and (outside that new Sky-Lynx) I'm content with them being my biggest bots. Hell, I didn't even like Menasor that much before getting the Stunticons in-hand... Actually, that's another big flaw I have to admit—I wish Slingshot and Wildrider got unique molds or at least some retooling so they're not just headswaps of Fireflight and Dead End.

Edit: Oh! That goddamn UW Bruticus chest plate—how that got to the final product I will never understand. Does Sunbow accuracy beat out Bruticus looking consistent top-down? It is wild that they looked at whatever frames in the cartoon where his chestplate was the same color as Blast Off and went, "yeah, I think collectors will really appreciate this decision." Selects Onslaught with a silver chestplate/replacement assembly with the silver chestplate when?

I dunno, any thoughts out there? Similar, opposite, whatever? Was it cool picking up, like, Superion's components or Bruticus's one at a time? How do rank among your collection now that we're in the WFC era?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    CW killed Transformers for me. The blatant disregard towards the G1 team members, and the fandoms seeming disregard towards the desire of G1 fans during those years turned me into what I today regarding Transformers and the fandom.

That being said Unite Warriors is the only reason why I still continue to feel invested. They saved the G1 teams before Hasbro even showed off Slingshot and Wildrider. While Hasbro would eventually being out the G1 guys, Takara did it first and fucking better. Only thing I'll credit Hasbro for is th knock out Blast Off, which we had to get at the end of Prime Wars.

I didn't get any of the new team members. I refuse to. I don't buy trash with my hard earned money.

• Like Like x 7
  3. The Grand Architect

I agree the new team members was odd and initially off-putting to me as well. But I still appreciate the new guys as part of separate teams or as standalones. I think they should have used the new guys to further emphasize the scramble city/make your own combiner gimmick, but at the end of the day, I at least appreciate Bravo and Offroad and Rook being unique molds (edit: amongst their respective teams) though I'd have personally preferred new Slingshot/Wildrider molds.

4. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Aside from the common complaints of similar transformations and excessive mold re-use, my disappointment of the line comes from how not-fun the combined modes themselves were. None of the combined figures I have ever felt that tight or secure. It's kind of a pain to actually play with the big gestalt that you bought 5 or more figures to create. I like the idea of combiners and Combiner Wars in theory, but in practice there have been few combiners I find as fun to play with as an individual figure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    At my age I can't be assed to care. I'm going to be that stubborn bastard and day G1 or nothing at all. Trash, nobody characters that should've been on their own instead of displacing OG members.

6. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

I love combiners. I never was a good generations collector until combiner wars. But since then I think the overall generations experience has been amazing compared to what it was like in the movie era.

• Like Like x 9
  7. The Grand Architect

I'll admit, they are rather static, especially in the legs. I think had they done specialized feet from the get-go and generally made the thighs more poseable the whole lot would have been a lot more solid. With my sets, I don't have a ton of problems messing with them (especially the arms, which I find to be decently dynamic), but understand why people would want something more from the sets. Definitely flawed figures, but I've found a new appreciation for them.

Ey, no skin off my back. I'm a RID/Armada kid, so I'm just into cool robots that turn into cool stuff. I like the G1 sandbox a lot, though, there's a lot of fun personalities in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

For Rook, I considered at the time that it was better to have a SWAT truck as a protectobot member and Defensor leg than having a motorcycle the size of a sedan and as a super robot leg when we still had the legend motorcycle that acted as a chest plate.

But yeah, I didnt like the helicopter with the other 4 jets, for Bruticus it made more sense to have a jet rather than a shuttle and Menasor it was a train wreck to me even with having the correct team members.

P. S. I miss this kind of threads, sort of tired of the "lets introduce the flavor of the month" apreciation threads out there.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I don't care what anybody says, CW and UW were one of the coolest lines they made. Love me some combiners and I hope they make more. Hell, make more new ones!

• Like Like x 19
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    The combiner system is solid and I have a few complete teams but this is where Generations started a steady downward trend for me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To answer the title question: Not retroactively, loved them when they came out and still love them a lot to this day.

There is something inherently awesome about several robots combining to make a super robot. I think my affinity for them comes that I grew up on Power Rangers Megazords.

Also, say what you will about how WFC is superior to PWT, but a lot of times messing with my new figures I think "this guy only has 2 modes, I miss making a combiner limb or the little headmaster riding the alt mode".

• Like Like x 12
  12. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.
    Even the new guys are great.
    Still want to get my hands on the likes of Liokaiser and Victorion.

• Like Like x 8
  13. The Grand Architect

Definitely feel you on the super robot bit—seeing Ruination form up or Optimus combining with Jetfire were some of my earliest memories of the brand. (Felt really cool to snag the UW Ruination, I'll tell ya what).

I don't know if I prefer one era over the other; WFC's pseudo-Cybertronian modes look cool, but I kinda wish they'd committed more to that aesthetic, thus making the Earthrise stuff less of a retread. They accomplish different things, and I'm stoked for them to share a space. I think the PW trilogy figures look better with the WFC stuff than some of the OG Generations figures (which I still love wholeheartedly)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @DTDraws on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Figure quality was mediocre but it was a great fun line to collect. Combiners are fun.

• Like Like x 2
  15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I gripe about the weak joints...but I think many of them look good...some of them look great. I absolutely love the giftset boxart. The giftset boxart is, in my opinion, the best TF boxart since G1...maybe ever...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Agreed. I was skeptical when it was announced and there was a divergence from the actual G1 teams but they made up for it anyway so I'll never understand why people are still so butthurt about Alpha Bravo, Offroad, and Rook. I wish they'd ignored the guys like Ironhide, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, etc and released more new characters.

• Like Like x 6
  17. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro, more limbs for Inferno.
    You damn teases!
    I want G2 Defensor, dammit!

• Like Like x 3
  18. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Retroactively? No.

I always loved the CW line. I'm still using some of the CWE versions over the newer, more "accurate" releases.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i want to like them, but few of the molds were fun toys on their own. limbs usually ended up 90% backpack while the torsos usually had halfassed alt modes. onslaught, hot spot, n pretty much every limb were guilty of this.

rook was the best toy in the line despite his backpack because he felt like a fun toy that happened to be able to combine.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    I'm still ticked there was never a G2 Defensor box set. I also wanted Guard City and Battle Gaia. And a real Liokaiser, though I settled for the one we got.