Anyone Else Only Collecting the Updates?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscream 91, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Okay so firstly I had NO idea how to title this thread or how to get across the point I'm trying to make I just needed to get this out there.
    Second, this has come to my mind after the images of a prototype Titans Return Broadside.

Okay so what I mean update, I mean CHUG(Classics, Universe 08, Henkei, etc all the way up to CW, UW, & now TR). Heck I guess you could count Masterpiece.

So there is obviously those who like to collect the original figures, but I don't. I don't like the aesthetic and the lack of articulation to name the few problems I have with some of these older figures. But I LOVE their CHUG updated counterparts, they have wonderful articulation and for the most part make me think of that character (Yes even guys like CW Armada Megs & Ironhide fit into this category). Heck I love that CHUG is branching out to other lines like BW & Armada. Why?

Well I can't really explain it, I have a few G1's, BW's, and Armada figures but they just seem to be lacking? Thinking on it a MAJOR reason is also that the original versions just don't appeal to me while their CHUG counterparts do! Like I know most people saw no need and saw it as a waste to make a CW Armada Megs (Doesn't even look like the guy for some) and I bet some feel the same if Titans Return Tidal Wave happens (Heck besides the shrink in size I bet it pisses some off that he's also a headmaster too). While all the credit to them I'd rather get the updated version of the figure.

Heck for the most part I'd like my own complete G1 collection like some but using CHUG instead.

So I guess what I'm trying to say and even ask is. Do you also prefer and even only collect the updated versions of the original G1, BW, etc? Or are some of these updates a waste.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

honestly, i am avoiding the updates, because they seem to be missing the creativity that transformers used to have. like optimus prime as a bus or something.

some of my favorite transformers, have never once appeared in the shows, and i never read any comics with them in it. most of my favorite beast wars figures, are my favorite because of the figure itself, and not because of the character.

my favorite optimus prime figure is powermaster optimus prime. which is an amazing figure, even til this day.

no amount of updates, chug, or masterpiece figures, will ever change the fact that the older toys still exist. and that the older toys are a product of their time. it is neat to see what hasbro could do back then. it is neat to compare what hasbro was doing to other toy companies at that time. transformers to gobots, as an example.

i think it's like video games, just because the NX is coming soon, doesn't mean i take my gameboy out and shoot it.

because gameboy is still awesome.

3. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Yup, only the updates. Classics rule. :) 
    Powermaster Prime is an excellent example. He's my favorite figure and I'm glad I can now replace him with the titans return figure :) 

4. Dolza_Khyron

if it is your favorite figure, why would you replace it with an inferior version?

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not to go off on a tangent, but I have a hard time believing we'll ever get an updated Tidal Wave that is better than the original figure or comes even close to doing the Armada character justice. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it ever happening.

As for me, where my collection is at and is going right now, I only collect representations of characters from Rebirth/Headmasters and Masterforce. I've cut my collection down to almost nothing, keeping only a few key pieces from other lines (like Fire Convoy) that are just too spectacular to live without, and from this point forward, am only spending money on representations of 1987-1988 characters. CW Armada Megatron may be the final exception to that rule for me, ever.

But as for original figures, yeah, I'm still keeping my original Headmasters/Godmasters. They are awesome and impressive in their own way.

6. Dolza_Khyron

tidal wave is a fantastic figure, and does not matter if there is an update, it will never surpass the creativity of the original.

7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek No more acupuncture!

As much as I've loved the MP line, I much prefer the CHUG IDW-inspired updates of the characters we've received from Hasbro and companies like MMC, etc. I want a cool robot at the end of the day, I don't really want it to be 100% accurate to often-crummy 80's animation.

8. Noma-Caa

Noma-Caa Well-Known Member

Personally, my focus is heavily on the updated versions, but part of that may be that I've only picked up a couple of G1 figures. I have the original Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus (both of which I love), but I was also thrilled to pick up CW Magnus. My main problems with the G1 toys are generally articulation issues (which I know was just a limitation of the time, so I'm not too hard on them about that) and lack of accuracy, both of which are great reasons to pick up newer versions.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope, they're secondary to my g1 collection. classics were about as hard to sell as a marshmallow is. Glad they are gone, masterpiece are still in there, but if push came to shove, they'd be gone too.

10. grindcore138

grindcore138 Strong children! Childlike fish! Seacons!!!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    That's all I collect. When I started getting into collecting I briefly thought about starting a small G1 collection as well, but in the end I didn't see the point. I didn't grow up with G1 or have any G1 toys as a kid in the 90's, so they don't appeal to me in the same way they do to people who did grow up with them, despite most of them looking nothing like their onscreen counterparts, the lack of articulation, etc.
    Ultimately I'd just own them for the sake of owning them, which for me isn't an enjoyable or fulfilling approach to collecting.

So yeah, I do only collect modern updates because they better represent the characters I like.
    I have thought about starting small Animated and Beast Wars collections alongside my main CHUGWTF collection, but for reasons of money and space I'm leaving it at Generations etc. and soon the Beast Wars Masterpieces as well (which I really hope come out at a pace I can keep up with monetarily).

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Yep, because I already have all the originals ;) 

12. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Yeah, but only because I have to have some restrictions with my collection, or I'd be broke. CHUG offers a wide variety of figures that can all be displayed together.

13. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

I don't collect G1 figures now, but I have some. I would never replace them as I love them still. I do collect CHUG, but only the CHUGs that evoke that G1 look, basically like the toon or toy in modern figure form. If it's not G1 looking or heavily based on...I don't buy it.

If I had unlimited money and room, I would build a G1 collection, I don't, so, I have to live with updates alone. MP is a damn fine G1 update, and really is the main reason I stopped looking for G1 figures. But I don't count the MP on the same side of the coin as CHUGs as far as update goes.

MP is G1 straight up, CHUGs have only here and there and mainly recently been closer to good G1 representations vs IDW or just modern, but still modern style influenced regardless. I see MP as taking the G1 figure, undeforming the alt modes so they look like what they were supposed to be based on in 1984 and adding articulation. I personally dislike IDW influenced figures, I hated the Gen Blurr, Kup and the IDW based Voyager Springer is not my favorite figure,I'd much prefer a more heavier G1 version like Blurr. The Gen Voyager Blitzwing I don't like either, I know I'll much prefer the more G1 one that is coming. Basically if it's heavy IDW, I likely won't buy it if it's new unless there's no more G1 version in sight.

In short I don't only choose to collect updates, I would still love a decent at least 84-85 G1 collection, despite any new figures being released. G1 is still at my core, I still love the figures and they will always be a part of my past, but space and money reasons mean it's cheaper to get new 2016 figures than it is to find MIB G1 figures of all the G1 guys I would buy in newish looking shape.

14. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only buy the updated versions of the original G1, and BW, when they are better than what I have . For example, CHUG Sci clonus replaces my g1 toy, but I didnt bother with the combiner wars sci clonus.

There are a few exceptions, like Prime Predacons and GO Predacons. I bought those because I felt they added something unique.

I should really say I buy these for my boy. I gave / am giving him all my g1 stuff, but when a better version comes out of a character I sell the g1 toy to fund the purchase of the new better one.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I only collect updated G1 guys. I've made a few exceptions, but very few. I have no use for poor updates like CW "Blast Off" either. Either make him an updated space vehicle or fuck the hell off.

16. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same here , which I why I bought the Takara United Combaticon set instead of the CW/USA/Hasbro version

17. comicfan17blue

comicfan17blue Well-Known Member

I collect the CHUGs and will collect other updated figures that represent original G1 characters but I am still trying to collect some G1 reissues as those figures will always have a special place in my collection.

18. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I was thinking on it just now...

I wasn't raised in the 80s, I was not a G1 kid. I was a Bayformer kid, sure I eventually got into G1 after renting the first season at a DVD rental place. But I also think the fact of how well engineered modern day toys were and still are that when I got that reissue G1 Perceptor he kind of felt underwhelming? I can appreciate and except that there are those who love the original toys and can appreciate them (heck I LOVE seeing pics of how well put their collection is, better than I ever could get it). But sadly I can't appreciate them, they just don't WOW me like their CHUG counterparts. To me its more like, why spend who knows how much (and on such a tight budget) for something that will just disappoint me, something that does not make me think oh G1 Ironhide and instead spend 15 dollars on a CW Ironhide and say yeah! Because he reminds me of G1 Ironhide and still has all the modern engineering that I know from my experiences with Transformers. (But also has throw backs to my Ironhide (the Movie Ironhide)).

G1 is my favorite continuity besides the movies but only their CHUG counterparts will do as toy equivalents to their on screen appearances for me.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The only Combiner Wars set I have is just Superion. Everyone else is Takara due to the stricter adherence to G1.

20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was raised in the G1 era, 8-10 years old during G1's original airing so I was the prime target age. Having said that I didn't have very many G1 toys.
    This era was amazing for kids cartoons - He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Battle of the Planets, Robotech and on and on. To say nothing for Star wars and the like. There were so many awesome toys to choose from that I never focused solely on one, plus my folks weren't able to buy anything and everything I wanted.
    So for me, it was all about the toon and I have almost no nostalgia for the toys.
    Having said that, my favourite collection idea is that of Turbine027 -
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1076313-mmc-ocular-max-terraegis-masterpiece-trailbreaker-77.html#post13901209
    The original toy and the latest MP update for it side by side. Looks amazing, and you get the best of both worlds. If I had the room and the money I would totally do this.