Anyone Else Not Enjoy The Hunt?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscream 91, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Since I started collecting in 2010, I bought exactly 2 transformers in a retail store.

2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never enjoyed it. :p 

3. PanzerParrot

PanzerParrot Member

I used to like hunting but distribution has gotten so bad that it's not worth the time anymore. Haven't bought a TF from a store in over 5 years. There's only two stores in my town that stock them and they're awful. Have to drive an hour away to get to anything halfway decent.

4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Ben Franklin had it right: Time is money.
    I don't mind hitting the stores in my immediate area, but I'm not going to spend all day driving around looking for a figure. It's especially bad in Austin Texas with people that seem to live at the stores around here.

I'd also argue that some people just like the endorphin spike of the "hunt".

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The only aspect that's fun for me is actually getting a figure and appreciating it in my hands. I dislike paying for stuff as well as "hunting" for it.

6. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to love the feeling and atmosphere of being in a toy store (or any store) when they actually HAD Transformers here. I never enjoyed the hunt, but I liked that feeling of browsing and window shopping. Alas, no stores here still carry TFs generally (we don't have Target, Walmart, or any of those usual stores in town,) and all the dedicated toy stores save one have long since closed down.

So, online it is for me. But yeah I never enjoyed the hunt per se. Just the browsing. I miss that a lot actually.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I miss that too.

8. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I used to love the clearance isles at Wal-Mart and Target after Christmas. Now I don't even bother. My local stores usually don't have much that I want at full price, and the clearance stuff isn't even worth it at the reduced prices. Now I pretty much go online all of the way rather than waste time running around to stores. The main downside to online shopping is that many stores sell figures by waves, which is not great if I only want one figure from a particular wave.

That's not to say that I don't find some desirable items in regular stores from time to time. I'll look when I'm there for something else and sometimes I score. I got CW Megs on clearance at a Wal-Mart while on vacation in Petoskey, MI last summer. I've still never seen him at a local store in my area.

9. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The new "hunt" for me is finding a decent price online. Even that I don't enjoy. Having to drive to a real store and going home empty handed? Forgetaboutit! That's just torture.

10. shellformer

shellformer @

Yeah. It's far preferable, though. I'd rather whine about ebay sellers with awful shipping options than deal with physical stores that stock up two waves of a line half a year after it's released and try to sell deluxes for US$60. At least the second-hand market still has Beast Wars.

11. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread got me thinking, what was the last Transformer I bought at retail? I can not remember, I don't even think I bought one at retain in 2015. I got most of if not all of Generations toys from 2013 and 2014 and all of CW either via BBTS, HTS, or Amazon. I think the last one I got at retail would have been the initial wave of AoE toys. Like many, I used to love going out hunting for new Transformers but I think I find it just easier to order online these days.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I gave up on it, it's hard to enjoy a hunt where you never find any of your prey because it might as well be extinct in the habitat. There is untold amounts of marvel legends here, but the Transformers line might as well not exist in many stores. Also taking into consideration when the price of gas hit the 4 dollar mark it just became cheaper to pay the shipping and be done with it, sure it's lower now but it's just the same in the end, either it's there an not worth the looking or it's not there when the price of hunting is reasonable..

13. DarkWarGrimlock

DarkWarGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved the hunt...when I lived in the US. Now I'm in the UK and distribution is so bad, it feels like there's never really a chance to find anything. My girlfriend and I overpaid on the Perceptor/Blaster reissue set this weekend just because they were the only TF's we wanted that we've seen on shelves for a long time now.

14. Logic

Logic Astro-Magnum

I don't really like hunting. I order mostly online because of bad distribution. I do check sometimes when I go out to grab MTMTE issues, but usually never find anything good (except for that one time I found TRU Bluestreak, that was pretty nice.

15. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I typically buy most of my figures online, but I actually do enjoy going out to the stores every now and then even if I don't buy anything.

Sometimes I find weird things from other lines that I didn't know about, and sometimes it is fun just to finally stumble upon a hard-to-find figure, even if I already have it. Maybe it's more like the collecting equivalent of bird watching than hunting.

16. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: No, and it's the retailer's fault. I actually liked hunting when there was a chance of victory. Nowadays, a little bit after DOTM, but very much with Age of Extinction (Did the title refer to Transformers going extinct on store shelves?), stores started having nothing. Target has nothing. Walmart has nothing. ToysRus has less than nothing, often having nothing but empty pegs. Every time I go anywhere, if they have anything, it is just unmoving legions of stupid 1 step changers, and other crap. I recently went to a ToysRus, and they had literally half of the already rather tiny section devoted to those stupid 1 step stomp and chomp Grimlocks, that did not sell in the AOE toyline, and won't sell now, and those stupid 3 step giant Bumblebees. In all, there were only 2 pegs total of CW deluxes , and 4 voyagers, total. A secondary problem is the emphasis on non transforming and barely transforming crap aimed at stupid kids. I'm all for getting young children in the fandom, but why do the toys all have to be aimed at them? I hate the idea that everything has to be aimed at the lowest common denominator, rather than having different lines aimed at different age groups? In short, fewer good toy designs are happening, and even if they are, stores aren't stocking them. And that is why I now do not enjoy the hunt.

17. Transmorph633

Transmorph633 Drifter

News Credits:
    The only thing I hate about the hunt is that

A: My local stores raised some of the prices (even my target has/ had deluxes for like 19 bucks).
    B: Figures that get "end of the line" are hard to find even online and not even released at major retailers.

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It may be a little perverse but I get a little satisfaction out of hearing other people suffer what I went through for years.

Toy shelves in my area have been as barren as a Soviet grocery store for 20 years now. Forget getting something when it's new, you're lucky if you get it at all. The decline in toy retailers is partially to blame. We used to have so many more places to buy toys, something like half a dozen toy stores and another dozen department stores. Now we have, what, four (Walmart, Target, KMart, TRU) and scattered shops online. And you can't even really buy some stuff online because _they're_ either marking up single figures right off the bat or only selling them with a full case. I get why they do it; most toys are a really tough sell. If it's not the 4625th Iron Man variant in the last 3 years or a "surprise" bungling of some aspect of production, it's the incredible cheapskatery of the average collector.

Ever wonder why toys cost so much at conventions? Two reasons. One, table rent is ridiculous. Two, it makes absolutely no sense to charge a realistic price. Here's why. It's insane but people will spend $40 to get into a show carrying only $20 to spend on toys (or comics or anime or...). So _everything_ will seem expensive to them and you'll just kill yourself trying to make any kind of sale (it's virtually impossible to get anybody to take a 2-for-$X deal unless the 2nd toy is free). After ruling out 99% of your "potential" customers, the remainder are people who actually have some money and the will to spend it. If you have two prices in mind (one realistic, one "scalper"), you essentially have a 50% chance they'll take whichever one you put forward. For simplicity, let's say you're selling some CW figure for either $20 or $40 (though it could just as easily be DCUC or SWB).

Every time they take the "scalper" price, that's two realistic sales that you don't have to make. Put another way, making your table cost back only takes half as many "scalper" sales as realistic sales. Looking at it from a perspective of 5 vs 10 doesn't seem like much of a different but let's say 100 vs 200. If you look out at the floor and don't see 200 qualified customers, you'd be a fool to price low enough to need 200 sales. Unfortunately, outsiders see this on a micro level (the individual sale), think they can get rich quick by looting a TRU on truck day, and worsen the supply situation at the retail level. Over time, a warped feedback loop develops, one that we're seeing manifested in some really ridiculous wholesale and retail prices now. Sadly, I do better letting inventory sit in the garage for a year until ye olde ZOMG-sold-out-evrywhar!1one panic kicks off; a national chain with millions of dollars across thousands of products may find it easier to simply order fewer, or no, toys and distribute only to areas where spending occurs.

...which apparently is somewhere other than Pennsylvania. And that's why 90% of my purchases are online preorders. The other 10% is from other dealers because I need a boost after spending a weekend on the other side of the table.

19. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    I liked it when there was something to hunt for....
    I though the holidays were bad for TF's but now it's even worse....
    Wal-mart, (we have 5) has nothing, and one of them has no TF's at all, not even tags on empty pegs. Target never gets anything new, and K-mart....jeeeesh....same with TRU.
    I have never see a Platinum set in the wild...
    It's weird, there have been posts on these boards with folks saying that TFs are in a low point right now, and there are always people denying that....but looking at a snapshot of right now, and even over the holidays, it hasn't been this low since Beast Machines was petering out.

I know things are always kinda slow after the holidays, and I hope the various toyfairs will be the catalyst to get things moving again....but it's just kinda dissapointing.

20. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a TF for myself from a brick and mortar in about three years and sure don't miss it. Never really enjoyed it to begin with. I do enjoy going out to buy toys for my kids, though.