Anyone else miss Alternators?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by User_136440, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Engineering and design has improved in the ten or so years since Alternators ended, and I'd love to see Has-Tak attempt to make new versions of the classic characters with direct modern updates of the original alt modes, which was the intention before licensing issues scuppered that. I think that was the appeal of the first couple of years of figures to me, the fact they turned into real life vehicles, and my interest gradually dropped off as they became more and more futuristic. I know the movie lines offer licensed alt modes but both the Studio Series and MPMs have their shortcomings due to the robot modes needing to reflect on screen designs. I'd love for an Alternators v2.0 where the robot modes and transformations aren't constrained by CG or cartoon models but benefit from the engineering that's developed to try to accommodate them. Licensing seems to be a little easier for Has-Tak to get hold of now; Jazz as a Porsche still hasn't happened but given that VW, the parent company has licensed several Bumblebee figures I can't see it never happening.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sure miss being able to get such large, detailed toys for under $20. Chrome, rubber tires, clear headlights – they were basically the parts count of a modern leader class with better finish for 40% of the price.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I miss Alternators from the perspective of being a car nerd and loving the model-car-that-turns-into-a-robot motif. I would love to see the line return in an updated form with modern engineering, and disregard concerns about making sure characters match up to their original makes and models. I don't care who they are, I'm interested in what they are.

• Like Like x 6
  4. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

I loved that it was real model cars that transformed. I didn't get the whole line but would be cool to see them come back.

• Like Like x 3
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I somewhat miss the concept, but the toys themselves feel pretty damned dated at this point.

But really, it was too nightmarish of a concept to continue, the longer it went on. As a regular line, it meant HasTak had to constantly seek out new licenses to pursue, and they'd often be at the whims of the licensors in regards to depictions of certain characters (supposedly Honda vetoed the name "Overdrive" for some reason, which is why we got "Windcharger". With a neutered gun, to boot). From a design standpoint, the requirement to have open cabin spaces in all the cars necessitated a lot of repetitive, and sometimes cludgey engineering.

• Like Like x 5
  6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I loved the line back in the day, but I don't think it aged well. In theory they could be better today, but MPs became what I really wanted all along...G1 accurate characters and alt modes. And while the actual car models were neat, as they aged, who needs a dead on accurate Scion, or Mazda, or Civic, or whatever uninteresting car model? And the bot modes weren't the most elegant either, so they lost their appeal being display pieces.

I do agree they were great value, though. That couldn't be touched today. You'd be lucky to get them for under $50 now.

• Like Like x 3
  7. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’ll echo what a lot of people have already said. I miss the idea of detailed and scale-accurate real-world vehicles that TF into cool robots for such a reasonable price. The transformations and designs WERE a bit derpy/unwieldy in some instances, though...so those could stand to be updated. BUT...updated versions of these things would surely cost $50+ in this day and age, so, I don’t know how many I’d be down for at those prices.

I used to have just about all of them...sold most...would like to get a Smokescreen back in my life at some point. Man, I remember how bad that mofo shelfwarmed back in the day. Good times.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regarding concerns about pricing and limitations imposed by the car companies, I call attention once again to TLK/Studio Series Cogman. Here is a toy, licensed by Aston Martin, featuring a passably realistic interior (he's got seats and a steering wheel, at least), sold at the $20 price point. Nonfunctioning doors, no drivetrain or engine under the hood, but double the budget and upscale to the Alternator-standard 1:24, and what might Hasbro have been able to accomplish? They're over halfway there now, with Cogman as he exists. Being a Headmaster helps, you've got a driver figure built-in (something I considered an important play-value improvement in the Human Alliance years) and you don't have to find a place to hide the head in car mode.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I don't miss them anymore. I've moved on to Masterpiece figures. There were to many compromises and name changes for me. Also some of the figures I thought were just plain bad (ie Rumble). I did love the fact that they were model cars though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

All I know is if they showed off a preview of a Masterpiece Alternators Smokescreen, I'd have my preorder in place before I hit the end of the page.

11. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

They were fun at the time. But I don't think much about them anymore. I sold most of them off but I still have a few.

It's easy to see why they had so much appeal at the time:

- $20 was cheap given the complexity of the figures
    - real world alt modes
    - new toys based on G1 characters
    - in scale with MP-01

• Like Like x 5
  12. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I don't miss Alternators as I wasn't collecting while they were in production but they were one of the first TF toys I hunted for when I began to collect.

I love that the alt modes were of real world vehicles. I also loved how they worked in passable passenger and driver areas into the alt modes.

To me, the toys still hold up. I'm a fan of chunky robots with obvious vehicle parts(kind of the anti-Bayformer aesthetic, I suppose) so that's something that appeals to me about the Alternators. They look like robots that can turn into vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love the concept of real life cars with real interiors, axles, wheels, engine blocks, doors in all the right places. Love the fact that I unless someone really notices, they'll just think they are model cars.

Don't think we'll get an update. People claim they want improvement but they actually want nostalgia masquerading as improvement. The prices people are willing to pay for masterpiece has HasTak charging whatever they want will little design improvement.

14. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I miss them! They got me into TF collecting as an adult. Honestly for Autobots, I don't think there has been a better modern G1 update in terms of price point and car scale. What I didn't like was the eventual repaints and change in packaging. Red boxes were the best. Wish it was around for adult collectors even if it was an occasional release.

They were not perfect, but the car modes were great. Wish I still had my Hound and Mirage :( 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Binaltech Smokescreen was gorgeous. It was also nice to have Tracks back in the day.

16. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Nope, I'm selling mine on Ebay. Already sold Prowl. Selling Meister, and I'm not sure what to do with Shockblast, since he's broken. I'll probably sell him anyway.

Their conversions were annoying and finicky. They stopped being fun after a while, but still looked cool. Sadly, I don't have the space to keep or display them, and I haven't converted them in years.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I missed Binaltech for a very long time but I'm mostly over it now. The realisation that Takara would probably charge £150 each for those now means I am happy sticking with what we got.

18. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Alternity was pretty much the answer to Alternators/Binaltech. Very short lived. Didn't love the line either.

19. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    and i'm the total opposite - i'm still a huge car nerd but i'm also a huge transformers nerd and i'd rather have a sideswipe that turns into a generic lambo than a sideswipe that has a model car alt with barely any sideswipe design cues.

like character choice is the one thing that kind of killed alts for me. but it's also why gt hot rod is my favorite hot rod (ok, only the chest and head really say hot rod, but i digress). good rendition of the character with an amazingly integrated alt mode that you could almost never tell was a robot.

20. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Well-Known Member

they were too annoying/not fun to transform, least the 2 i have were (smokescreen, tracks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.