Anyone else getting financially exhausted due to 3rd Party Releases?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 21, 2014.

1. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are you talking about? We're not broke yet ...

(psst, honey? Yeah, pawn off the children to a foreign country, we have a hobby to fund :p )

:wink: 

2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Nope.

This is more or less in line with what collectors from other, proper collector hobbies involving other franchises pay on the lower end of the scale.

It only gets more expensive ;) 

3. Rob3880

Rob3880 Well-Known Member

I don't think there's enough coming out.. I've found myself venturing into other toy lines.

4. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not at all.

IMO, if you don't spend your money on "everything that's hot/hype/new/not-exactly-what-I-want-but-that's-the-only-version-available-right-now", the 3rd party offering is still pretty reasonnable.

Current 3P products I have on preorder or plan to buy:
    FT Scoria
    FT Soar
    FP Look at Me

5. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    It was once explained to me that this particular Hobby is for the folks who have money rolling in.

While I do not, I do my best to keep up by buying only what I want. Sadly, because of the delays and the pieces always rolling into the same month as other pieces, I am forced to sacrifice what I want for other things I want, Hoping that someday I'll have the cash to buy what I was forced to skip out on.

That is the nature of this hobby. I feel it needs to slow the fuck down. But..., we all know it won't. So, we are forced to deal and keep moving forward and going through same same routine. Nothing can be done about it, unless you either Come into more money or Stop collecting all together.

I choose to deal the best I can, since I choose to continue collecting.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    It's always wise to collect backwards. Buy 3rd party stuff as soon as it's available, as the stock is much more limited, and wait on anything Hasbro, save masterpiece or anything high-end.
    That's why I'm not buying any TF4 stuff this time, until the inevitable clearance.

I paid the price (literally) for not buying Green Giant as soon as he was on the market.

7. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Budget better.

8. mtmte586

mtmte586 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it'd help if pricing would come down.

9. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Rex & Quantron are big ticket items. Also need to get in on Warden, the MPs, and trying to hunt down Hegemon and Steelcore as well. Not sure if I can will get Prometheus. Getting back into Gundam building (casually) and 1/6th figures is also quite costly.

10. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Well-Known Member

It's manageable if you don't buy everything. So I personally don't feel financially stressed.

11. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Its not even about trying to get everything. I collect so many other lines,i have to rotate which line gets love this time and which ones have to wait.I collect...

TF(of course)
    Gijoe
    Marvel universe
    DC Multiverse and DCU
    NECA
    SH Monsterarts now
    and other lines. I just buy what i can and enjoy it until i'm able to get another peice to add to the collections.

If all i collected was TFs,then i don't think there would be that much of a problem.I have to be very strict about what 3P items i do buy.

12. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    It depends what your yearly budget is. If it is 500$, it's going to be difficult if you actually feel the MP Dinos and/or Skyfires are a must.... nevermind the MPs, and the FP/MT stuff coming out or Roadbusters, and PE Wardens If not, you just save ALOT of money!!! If your budget is a few thousands, yea, it's just like any other years.

In my case, the Dinos are my holy grail, so... holy crap for me right there, there goes my budget!!!

13. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really, I'm very selective, currently only interested in Quantron, mmcs Vos and prefect effects scorponok. Only one of those is anywhere close to release though.

14. Starscream1997

Starscream1997 Well-Known Member

Eh sort of those combiners though are a pain most are 100 a member so it's a 500 investment in total but then again it's all about control and making smart decisions.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Anyone else getting financially exhausted due to 3rd Party Releases?

Yes. Too much product out that is good enough to consider purchasing, but between the amount of offerings and my lower expandable income I'm pretty much giving up on third party products.

If there is a time where I can comfortably afford a third party item, I will choose to be super selective. There's just too much stuff; it truly makes me miss the old days.

16. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

I would be too - if I were trying to get everything that comes out but I'm hardcore cherry-pick-and chooser so I'm good. Now all of sudden GOOD 3rd party companies come out with GREAT designs of characters I want drop - then I'd be thinking hard :cool: 

17. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    If only more products follow the KFC route .....

18. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Most of my 3rd party (and official masterpiece) purchases are made with my monthly overtime pay, which can be substantial if I work my butt off, so i don't personally feel a tight grip on my finances. I am, however, very picky in what I buy. I've passed on Warden, am ignoring pretty much everything TFC does right now and somehow have managed to stave off the Function-X line. I am focused on finishing Feral Rex and Warbotron and will get that Maketoys Quantron also. The FT Dinos are also in my vision.

19. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am never not questioning what to purchase, 3rd party or otherwise. Any other path is glutinous at best and short-shortsightedly financially suicidal at worst. Choosing isn't really that difficult either. If I have the money and the purchase makes sense then it's bought. If the purchase arrives at a time when I don't have the money or worse the desire nor money, then it's obviously a pass. That's pretty much how I make any purchasing decision really.

This entire thread topic seems inappropriately titled. It should really be something like; I only have so much money but I want tons of different things all at once, so help me decide what to buy and in what order. ;)  Kind of a longish title, but that's really the spirit in which this thread seems intended.

20. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Yes. But it's not bad, it's just made me more discriminating in my buying habits. Like, I MIGHT buy Scorn from the new movie line, I MIGHT buy Voyager Hound, and I MIGHT buy the Takara Evasion mode Optimus, and that's IT. So the 8 or so Deluxes I would have bought at $15 a pop, that's a third party figure right there. The 4 or 5 Voyagers at $20 a pop? That's another figure. Do I really need CHUG Crosscut? Do I really need to keep this year's BotCon set when I could keep the Scorponok and flip the rest for five original, combining molds that make a great not-Superion... or flip the whole thing, get Quantron, and put the extra change on the forthcoming not-Scorponok figure?

I'm committed to Warbotron and Feral Rex, I've already preordered the Voyager FOC Onslaught upgrade set and Cronus, I'm gonna get Quantron because it looks badass and it's a COMPLETE combiner, and I'm probably gonna get the third-party Dinobots (I can see myself getting offerings from both companies depending on who puts what out first). I don't see myself passing up on a good Voyager or larger third party Cyclonus figure or a badass Overlord figure (one of the few characters worth owning I have NEVER had a toy of). Plus we have MP Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus on the way. PLUS I need to finangle a way to get this year's Subscription Service set since I brain-farted and missed out. That's gonna take a lot of money. Fortunately I have a lot of Transformers for sale or trade, and I will be going to BotCon this year. Which is good... because I have a baby on the way, and I suspect my heavy-duty collecting days will be over in very short order!