Anyone else feel that the DotM line is kinda...empty?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 16, 2011.

1. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Bringing out Soundwave early would have Spoiled the movie to kids and they were trying to get the Ferrari license for Mirage. Wheeljack? Who knows?

2. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Maybe we should buy sledgehammers and start smashing the current stock until they actually put out something new.

Edit: And by "they," I mean the stores. Hasbro has plenty of newer toys ready for sale, but the stores are just refusing to put out anything new until their overabundance of waves two and three have been bought up. It's holding back new product, not getting rid of old product, and generally keeping people from buying the toys. Why buy something that's been on the shelves for months already? In the end it's a failure on the part of retailers to realize that people buy individual toys, rather than purchasing them based on product number. If a particular figure or wave is staying on the shelves for this long, it should be moved to a clearance section or temporarily packed up so newer toys can be put on the shelves. You repeat this each time there's a drop in sales, putting out a couple of the old stock with each set of new toys, until the end of the line. Then you put what's left of the old product in the clearance section. I really don't understand why stores don't already use this strategy.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Look at the situation practically anywhere, where waves 1 and 2 and even 3 are shelf warming as a whole. There's not even enough space at many of my stores I visit to pack any more figures...so much so where they have to put stuff wherever they can. Is this really preferable to putting in figures in a case assortment that people would much rather buy? At this rate I'll probably never see Wave 6, let alone Wave 5 in retail. How is that preferable? I'd rather have this risk of spoilerage rather than seeing so many dull and boring figures clog the shelves.

Topspin is easily the best of Wave 2 and Wave 3 has TC in it...but it's a sad day when two phenomenally amazing figures shelf warm 'cuz no one wants them.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Just the Bumblebees! I'm still deciding on whether or not I get Laserbeak! :lol 

5. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Thundercracker is rare around here, and Topspin certainly doesn't shelfwarm

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm sure it isn't the case everywhere, and I won't make that claim, but it IS the case here. I can't walk into a store without slamming into TCs and Topspins and all of their wavemates. It was harder to find them early when they came out but now it's hard not to see them around.

My point still stands is that as a whole, these early waves are sitting on the pegs so goddamn much. It's blocking the progress of other waves with more interesting molds and characters. You'd still have a shelf warming problem sure but at least your first few waves had new and interesting characters in it.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Yeah. The only thing from Wave 3 that Shelfwarms here is- Big Surprise! Nitro Bumblebee

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    For how much sheer VOLUME stores got and continue to get, the fact we haven't had widespread reports of stores having nothing but various flavors of Bumblebee basically proves Hasbro was in the right ball park with the supply. Yes, there are a LOT of Bumblebee on the market, but having him reasonably available in reasonable pricepoints is more apt to snag an impulse buy from a parent, which is good business.
    I know here, Bumblebee was STILL fairly rare during RotF

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, any well stocked toyline can appear to be shelfwarming (especially in absence of new releases). Dark of the Moon, is NOT this shelfwarming plague some seem to think. Distribution just hasn't gotten new figures filtered down to most stores (that said, wave 5 has ONLY just started to ship out, so it isn't like there was a ton of stuff released between June and now)

I agree, on sheer numbers, DotM still posts an impressive number of figures (almost ALL of which are new, or repaints of new molds, btw). But, Hasbro REALLY front loaded the line as far as the "key segments" were concerned, with basically 3 waves (or, almost the ENTIRE line to date) out by the time the movie was out.

I also noticed a LOT less filler this time around, RotF had a notable "dead spell" late summer/ early fall because of the non-movie character releases in waves 2-4, with guys like Smokescreen, Scorponok, Brawl and movie duds like Mudflap and Wheelie really bogging down stores until the Christmas push. And don't forget we had more "stuff" considered part of the mainline in RotF as well: we had Scouts and TWO supreme plus items pushed. A lot of fans almost view Cyberverse and Human Alliance (between the two, removed the "real scout" figures) as separate entities to the MechTech themed deluxe, voyager, leaders and Supreme.

With DotM, Hasbro seems to have pushed for a "smaller", but much better focused product line. Aside from Soundwave (likely for spoiler reasons), Que (who did nothing notable except die) and Dino (bogged by his car rights), Hasbro has covered ALL major Transformers characters (plus some) in all the needed pricepoints. You may not be satisfied with a Voyager Megatron, but Hasbro DID give use a "mainline" Megatron styled after his appearance in the third film.

I think the big issue we're seeing is the changing retailer trends: for YEARS, we've seen this trend (especially at Walmart): a big initial order for the launch of a toyline, another big refreshed around late October/November for Christmas, and little to no stocking in spring to sell of inventory.
    This year, I'm expecting the same: we got practically the entire MechTEch line within a MONTH of the film's release, and the few remaining characters are probably going to reach saturation within the next month as Walmart gets its next round of feature displays.

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Wheeljack DID give out the boomsticks that killed a crap ton of cons. I think Hasbro should have given up earlier with the Ferrari license. Because now, most kids are probably gonna think he's not coming by the time he comes out, and the little kids don't care if it's a Ferrari or not. Now, the toy will probably be out in about March, by the time kids have lost interest in him. So, I think only collecters and patient kids are gonna be interested enough to get his toy(s).

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I honestly don't think any kids really noticed him enough to want a toy of him. He was barely shown and was just another mess of parts without enough screen time for anyone to be able to understand what his actual shape is. I think kids will explicitly want just Bumblebee, Prime and Sentinel, with every other figure being there so when kids indiscriminately want a new toy they're available.

11. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I've heard of kids saying "Bumblebee sucks." and grabbing Ironhide instead. Kids probably noticed him and just thought he looked cool, so they wanted a toy.

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    lolwut ? If there's any of the new designs being kind of unique it has got to be Dino...and then i'm not even talking about his blades.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Well, a couple design cues are similar to Bumblebee. Hood chest, Door wings, weird speaker-like thing for a mouth etc.

14. knoted

News Credits:
    Look at the guy's legs. They're almost humanoid in shape...yet they don't resort to HR Giger style either. I think he looks quite unique, even in the movie verse style.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He IS unique, I was just saying he shares some design cues. He's unique enough that I wish I didn't have to wait until February to see his toy(s)

16. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Dino looked awesome and I can see kids remembering and wanting him, though not several months after seeing the film, barring home releases. However, I was talking about Wheeljack.

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    With the first 2 movies I remember spending a TON, with this movie we have the same cast...and yes, heavily packed Bumblebees in every wave. I thought it just FELT lackluster until I looked at my spending...remember, until last year I was a completist...and I have bought or been given:

Skyhammer
    Walmart Sideswipe
    Powerglide
    Air Raid
    Roadbuster
    Space Case

the topper though is my son. Thus far every time we look at toys he doesn't want any of the TFs on the shelf because he "already has that guy", so his interest in the movie toys is down as well.

18. knoted

News Credits:
    Ahh. srry my misunderstanding. Yeah..i agree about the Quejack design.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

That's why I made this joke
    *We see a close up of Wheeljack's face*
    "GAHH! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH-*Bam* Oh, thanks Barricade."

20. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Yes, it's crap. Hardly any detail painted on the figures and most of them look really bad imo. Saving my money for Prime stuff and until that comes out Gundams.