Anyone else feel that the DotM line is kinda...empty?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 16, 2011.

1. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

I think for variety instead of so many of the same repaints out now they should have thrown in some movie 1, and 2 offscreen character repaints.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Yep. The only remotely interesting part of it to me has been Cyberverse since that actually has... stuff. If I can, I'll probably get Mirage's Cyberverse toy if there is one.
    Also, the lack of non-movie characters is disappointing, as a lot of the designs from the movie I'm either not too keen on, or are coming out in months.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. bestbuddy09

bestbuddy09 Well-Known Member

It's funny because I said the SAMETHING word by word and everyone started to hammer me saying i'm talking out of my ass and HASBRO and selling alout of the Dark of the moon figures... So what's up with everyone now?

5. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I just want to see hasbro acknowledge us, the fans, and come clean on Mirage, and why the wait. It's ridiculous.

6. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

You know, I haven't gotten a single deluxe from the line yet. I think I have about 3 Cyberverse figs and then Voyager Shockwave, and that's about it. And you know what? I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I remember back when the first movie came out, I was always hunting for the whole movie cast. Never got the 08 BB or Voyager Blackout, but the hunt of it was a lot of fun. Then when ROTF came out, I couldn't wait for all the toys to be released. I remember all the hype about the new Leader Optimus and some good things about the voyager Starscream, and I just couldn't wait to get to the store to see what they had to offer. Now that the DOTM line is here, I can't say I have any of the original excitement I had before. Some, like Roadbuster and Crankcase, kind of piqued my interest but it just doesn't feel as rewarding finding new movie figs anymore.

I guess it really is just about the end of the movie era.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    The ones i am enjoying the hell out of are the human alliance basic autobots...pinpointer/whirl/thunderhead/sandstorm/half-track/crosshairs..

all are getting drafted for the cons...love those molds...all the humans get tossed into the glass jar...those guys for $9.99 are awesome...c clip weapons and decent cybertronian altmodes ...tank and buggy wise...love those guys.

the only deluxe i want still is the target car leadfoot...then i am done....

with the movie toys anyway...

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I don't own a single one. Been collecting since 1984, well over 1,000 toys, at least something from every range. DOTM = massive skip for me.
    Still, it's good that there are different things for different collectors. Not long till the Prime toys and I've had plenty of third party love in the gulf between.

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I have far less DOTM toys than I do from the previous lines. I think it feels empty to me because it's been padded out with so many DLX Bumblebees:

* Regular
    * Nitro
    * Cyberfire
    * The Target cyberglyph one
    * The grey NEST one
    * The one in the three-pack with Prime & Shockwave
    * '84' deco (Wal-mart exclusive I think?)

Have I missed any?

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my experience, HA is meh, Cyberverse has a few gems, and the rest of the line is bland or sucky bar Shockwave, Walmart Sideswipe, and DLX Roadbuster. I'm dying for the Prime toyline to show up.

11. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

Yes this line is starting to feel disappointing now. We are still missing a good amount of possible figures...

1. Leader Megatron

2. Leader Shockwave

3. Cyberverse Laserbeak

4. Cyberverse Brains

5. Human Alliance Topspin

6. Deluxe Mirage/Dino

7. New Mold/updated Voyager Ratchet

8. Deluxe/Voyager (Suburban) Crowbar

9. Deluxe/Voyager (Suburban) Hatchet

10. Human Alliance Mirage/Dino

11. Human Alliance Wheeljack/Que

These all could have been Awesome Realities and very possible since they were on screen characters but now its looking like we wont see any of these.

12. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I add that Hasbro for me has lost some of my respect,back when the first movie came out they showed us fans everything that they had planned,now 5 years later we haven't seen hardly anything except stupid Bumblebee designs for the 9641st time.I can honestly say if I see one more movie Bee remold I am liable to go BAPE Prime Sh** on Hasbro,and at my Walmart there is no less than 40 deluxe,10 HA,and 20 Leader Bee's on the shelves.

So unless by some miracle I don't see getting any other waves other than 1 & 2 for a long time,maybe well into 2012.So I say "Down With Movie Bee"

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    That's pretty cool, they are in even numbers like 10, 20, 40?

14. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I think most of it is that Hasbro put the early stuff out too fast. Everything everyone was interested in for the first couple of waves they already have at this point, leaving us to wait until the next distribution phase comes around.

It's not so much that this line feels empty, it's that it's felt this way longer than the other lines did because Hasbro made a strong first push and then didn't do anything to supplement the momentum. With the other two movies we always had something new to look forward to every couple of months and it was a slow trickle. There was always a reason to go look at the toy aisles for the off chance you'd find something new.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well also, I think some of it has to do with the fact that since we're on the 3rd movie, many of us aren't just being brought back into things like we might've been in the last few years. Due to that, we're keeping up with things a lot better, and nothing is really "new" to us.

16. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    :didn't read all 10 pages of thread:

This has probably been echoed already, but there are a few things to keep in mind with DotM.

- RotF had more product than any mainline ever besides G1. One does not need to do math for this, though Armada and Movie 1 were likely very close. Combine this with HftD and you have a massive line - there was only naturally going to be some contraction in assortment.

- RotF shelfwarmed like crazy once the middle waves hit. The closest Walmart to me STILL has Stalker Scorponoks. Many discount stores still have tons of assorted deluxes. Another Walmart near here had RotF Voyagers in huge quantities until they did a store remodel and the old stock just sort of disappeared into nowhere. This also leads to the conclusion to not make product deemed too risky. Yes, HA Skids defies this conclusion, but this is an exception in DotM, not a rule.

- Most DotM stuff is shelfwarming, and will until Christmas. Yes, there are a few exceptions to this, and the recent "Free stuff with Coupon abuse" spree did help a bit with the Wave 1/2 deluxes. But most of it just sits and sits and sits with the exception of the low price point, kid friendly Cyberverse stuff.

- Most of the ideas I see on this board for additional product would shelfwarm - it wouldn't get out in time for Christmas, therefore missing the last window of opportunity anyone has to sell DotM branded product.

I could rant for awhile on this. I'm enjoying DotM myself, because it isn't overkill.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  17. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    And to boot I say when Bee is so overpacked in each case some being 4 or 5 "Cough Walmart Racing Bee Cough" you have the worst case of shelforming since Tuner Skids & Mudflap.You would think stores like Walmart and TRU would learn from there mistakes but no they order hundreds of thousands of the first wave expecting they will sell like wildfire and instead be stuck with them for a year and they don't restock with new ones until these are gone.

Also am I the only one who remembers the old saying "Make the product to fit the demand",not the other way around.

18. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Idk how it is in Texas, but here in NC the only Bumblebees I see legitimately shelfwarming are the HA and Leaders, and that's likely due to price point. The deluxes move, and it only looks like they take forever to move because of the case assortments. Again though, I can only speak for my region of NC.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I wish more Activators, Go-Bots and Bash-Bots had been released... plus original mainline molds, for sure. At least a Leader Megatron!

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    There's a few gems in DOTM but I feel the line is underwhelming as a whole. Good engineering on a lot of figures...but DOTM just feels stale. I'm just tired of seeing the same characters over and over...Wheeljack, Mirage and Soundwave definitely should've been in the earlier waves. There's only so many movie BBs and OPs and Megatrons I can buy until I just get fed up. HA main line figures seem to have taken just a little step back in terms of engineering. Compare HA Barricade and Jazz to HA Roadbuster and Roadbuster doesn't really stack up to them. HA Soundwave could be better, but the legs are just awful...