Anyone else feel that the DotM line is kinda...empty?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 16, 2011.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ THIS. Most of the figures I purchased this week I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.

Actually, I'm donating most of them. Kinda nabbing the Mech Tech weapons off three of them, but kids lose accessories so easily I don't think they'll be missed. Not so bad actually as one Bee keeps his weapon, Roadbuster and Sideswipe are weaponized, the ROTF Prime is complete; only the 2nd Bee is unarmed.

Really it's win-win. I got 3 MechTech weapons, and donating five brand-new toys.

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    It's not empty, but there's not a lot to hold my interest. Not only is there a lot of returning characters (even if they didn't actually appear in the movie), a large percentage of them are civilian automobiles. Autobots have always been that way, but for the Cons we go from Buffalo MPCVs, biplanes, and toasters to cars and SUVs. Where's my dump truck and... whatever that Cloverfield-looking Con turns into (Dragon Wagon?)?

3. -Sideways-

-Sideways- Dimensional Mercenary

It is most of them are all Autobots and theres 6 bumbebee redecos (soon to be 7)

4. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Can't lie... I bought absolutely everything of my interest before the movie came out in theaters. As soon as Ultimate Optimus came out, picked him up. Since then, I throw up in my mouth every time I walk past the Transformers section in Walmart and see the multitudes of deluxe Optimus Primes, Nitro Bumblebees, Skids, Mudflaps, & Voyager Optimuses. Target and Toys R Us are absolutely no different either.

I wish whatever powers at be weren't so stingy and would just release the damn Prime stuff... Retail would be baffled about how well it'll do compared to DOTM... Hell it just looks so much more fun than the movie stuff clogging. What movie stuff that is clogging looks like a disease in the toy aisle. I can tell from the recent NYCC BB exclusive that I'm going to have far more fun with that mold than I have with the ROTF & DOTM BB molds.

Back slightly on topic... I think they would have done much better for themselves if they used the plastic & engineering that went into DOTM leader BB and used it for, oh, idk a leader Shockwave... Or for a BETTER voyager Optimus.

5. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Actually, there are already 7 out. There's the TRU Scan series figure as well

6. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's only because were in the slump of wave one stuff just wait for wave 5 and 6 to hit then it may be better and I hope it lasts a little longer than the last 2 lines I'm not ready for Prime stuff yet even if its just 1st edition stuff

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

They seem to be saving all the good stuff (Mirage, Weaponized Roadbuster, Skywarp etc.) for the follow up line anyway

8. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    where sick of the same characters i know i am from the 1st 2

i would like to see less repaints im geting soundwave wheeljack ledfoot and waiting for mirage i already have heaps of non cast characters from the last 2

9. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This line didn't really feel as strong to me as the previous two movie tie-ins. It also feels like it's just sort of limping along, killing time until Prime, and maybe Classics, jumps back into stores. Personally, I've bought very little; only the new Ironhide and Sideswipe, and I was rueful that I had done so as they're just not solid toys.

There just aren't that many more toys to make, really. Maybe if they jumped back to the last two films and gave us something we want but haven't seen, like more constructicons, a new Jazz, the third bike sister, I dunno. I just don't see it happening. We've been shown a handful of new toys, some repaints. I don't see DOTM going much further than what we've already seen. I think that those waiting with baited breath for a new Leader Megatron or a Dino toy are going to be disappointed..

10. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

I have the feeling were going to be holding out for a while, many posts I can agree with. Whether I get my wish or not, I'm still gonna hold out for leader Megatron and Shockwave, however futile it may be. Also keen on Soundwave, hope he ain't downsized...

Although, Shockwave might be a case of "leader Blackout". A new Jazz? Would be cool, won't happen. Dino/Mirage? I've read the posts regarding licensing etc. Only time, and heaps of it, will tell.

11. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

agrred they need more figures fast they can give us a premium line next year so i can get silver sideswipe i dont feel like painting him myself too lazy

12. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

The other reason why DotM has been feeling empty to me (in fact, probably the larger reason) is the fact the figures have been very repetitive. Even if the molds are new, there seem to be a higher number of characters from the last line getting new molds. We're getting to the third or fourth mold for a lot of these characters, it's hard to get excited for them.

And even not taking THAT into account, there's the fact that the alt-modes are just... dull. Of the Deluxes, all but three molds are "car/truck with huge gun hanging off of them."

Ditto the Voyagers. Two non-car/truck molds. More forgivable, though, because that's a much larger proportion but...

And the redecos are... less than inspired, with what has to be a new record for barely adjusted decos of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee recolored into yellow Bumblebee and red and blue Optimus Prime.

So. Repetitive alt-modes, repetitive characters and repetitive decos make a line just not seem "fresh." Even if the molds are new, they're often old characters or dull vehicle modes. I just don't get excited for a lot of DotM.

That said, the ones I have gotten I've been VERY pleased with, but I had been sick of carformers a while back... DotM did not help.

13. BumbleBee75

BumbleBee75 Well-Known Member

I'm actually hoping that they release a movie line with all the characters from each movie.

14. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NEEDS MOOR DECEPTICONS!

But seriously, yes, I feel like the line is empty. I agree with Soundwinder that the problem for me is partially a lack of new characters, more than a lack of new molds. Besides that I feel as though Hasbro jammed a lions share of new figures into stores on release day (two very large waves of every size class) with wave 3 following shortly thereafter. If you consider that the series was released in early late spring/early summer the number of new figures since that time has been pretty sparse and many of those were repaints.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

We need Protoforms to build up the Decepticon troops with Generics

16. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Empty.... yeah, there's a bit of a habit to it at the moment.

Almost continuous 25-33% off since about as soon as the line started, plus a fairly steady supply of new product means i've been buying them, and just discarding them before i even open them most of them.

That said... of the few i have been really hyped about it seems like the wait has been forever...HA Leadfoot, Ha Soundwave, Striker Prime...

From the wider buying public's perspective, i think there may be some element of over saturation. From my own perspective, i like most of the movie toys, but i'm pretty darn fed up with the fact that all these engineering advances are offset by the sheer lack of paint.

Perhaps not having to pay licensing fees to car manufacturers and Paramount will give Hasbro a bit more leeway on paint applications in the future.

If the next line is called "Movie trilogy" as some of the slides at NYCC indicated, i don't think it's impossible that some characters who fell by the wayside may get a revisit.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    We got so many Bumblebee molds and its only what? Wave 5?

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

More like 2 repaints of movie 1 concept Camaro BB, plus Preview BB and Cannon BB from ROTF. In the first runs of store exclusives. The main mechtech line has 2 BB molds, standard spoiler BB and stealforce'd Nirto BB. Plus a repaint of spoiler BB.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

We have 7 Deluxe BBs :banghead: 

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Also bumblebee is hogging case assortments anywhere he pops up.

I get it though. 2012 is going to have stuff for Transformers prime and Fall of Cybertron. They did enough molds to get them through this year. and the sales are actually good despite the saturation.

Given that it takes a year to develop a transformers action figure. Hasbro and takara are likely working on making the hot molds of the non-movie year more polished than overworking dark of the moon which will sell for christmas even if wave 5 never really saturates.