Anyone else feel lost when you get everything?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ceric Neesh, Sep 2, 2011.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah its a funny feeling. I missed all of 2009 and 2010 in Transformers aside from a few random universe figures, so I spent a lot of the first half of the year catching up getting ones that I missed (like Universe Starscream), or new very time sensistive waves of RTS, HftD and Generations (Blurr, Perceptor, Warpath, Kup, etc., back when there wasn't many of them). And on top of that I ebayed and through here got obscure ones I missed and wanted (Brawn, Classics Skywarp). AND THEN right after that, I dived into the figures I was interested in the DoTM line.

It was pretty crazy transformerswise for 7 months. Through some bargain lot buying and of out-of-circulation loose, complete deluxe CHUGs to the Amazon Unicron that just arrived, I probably doubled the size of my collection (which non-G1 aside, consisted of the complete RID, and the best of Armada, Energon, the original Classics and the two movie lines) numbers wise. It's been the hands down best time to be a transformers fan. We aren't buying a random new character in a cartoon named prowl that happens to look like prowl... we actually got a completely modern G1 Prowl! We even got a Starscream with his face colored right for the first time ever.

It's been a great run, but now that its mostly over, I'm definetly twitching. Like I did Animated and the movies, I'll probably pick up the stronger figures of the "Prime" line, (Voyager Prime, Megatron, Starscream) but I won't be completist about it like RID (where I actually own every figure made) and CHUG (where I grabbed every neo-G1 figure).

I'm gonna miss goin to the shopping area with Warlmart, TRU, Kohls, Target, TJ Maxx and so forth, and "hunting". It was great fun.

2. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I totally agree, i still go to stores on my lunch break sometimes, but i know i already have everything that i want, i don't know what i'm hoping to find. I think the next figure that comes out that i'll want is the United Junkion figure, unless i cave in and buy cyberverse Shockwave.

3. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Every time i get to the point of not needing current releases a 3rd party usually makes something i want which helps sometimes. With japan we only get new things once a month so there is a lot of waiting to get what i want.

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well im almost there and i plan to save so the next waves dont huet my wallet so badly

5. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Sort of. But that feeling of emptiness usually doesn't last very long :lol 

I thought I'd completed my G1 collection... & then I realised that I didn't have the Sparkabots/Firecons. So the Ebay hunting resumed once more... :lol 

6. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    This reminds me of that quote used in Die Hard, which referenced the classics - "And when Alexander saw the breadth of his kingdom he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

It's an interesting dilemma, what does a collector do when they have collected all there is? I know some people who have every G1 figure ever released. I think that's awesome, and something I aspire to, but I can't help but wonder - if I got every TF toy I ever wanted . . . what then? I probably would feel a bit empty. As strange as it sounds, part of the fun of collecting for me is to NOT have everything so that there are always things I want to get, and things to look forward to.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope, i still have my g1 collection to get caught up, classics may be mostly complete (missing one or two third party things i want and one or two easy to get official things) but with dotm in stores, there's nothing i want anyways

8. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah that's very true. Contextually, I'm an 80s transformers fan who went back and forth a lot over the last 25 years. I didn't really get much of the Beast line, but I went crazy over RID (I even got a Korean Brave Maximus back in the day when Hasbro said it wasn't coming stateside!) and got everything. And then, like many collectors not that into the directiont he line went with the Unicron trilogy, I got the good "G1" homages... that meant like Supercon Prime for Armada, or Energon Downshift and Energon Shockblast or Cybertron Soundwave. Sometimes I deviated and got a strong original character in its own right, but not that often. I got a few homages per line and some Japanese stuff.

I went really hard with the CHUG line though, because they arent homages anymore. It's actually Prowl who transforms like Prowl. It's actually Ironhide done (mostly) right. It's actually Jazz who came with speakers ffs! The figure's we've always wanted, they by in large have released and I was in a position to grab.

So I don't know what I'm going to do with TFs. I may not collect like i did in 2011 with CHUG for another 10 years, since the last time I went this deep into a line was RID in 2001/2002. I think Prowl is a great example. It's a strong figure, and the ideal CHUG. How can Hasbro top it? a little less open space maybe? It would be very hard to justify ever buying another "G1 Prowl".

Personally, I feel that the "next frontier" of transformers that we'll see later this decade will be integrating very low power OLED lights on deluxe sized figures for "detailing" since OLEDs are flexible and increasingly cheap. Imagine a Shockwave with an OLED eye and "tech" detailing backlit by OLEDs in his various modes to accentuate details Then maybe, i'd rebuy all my G1 figures. But short of that, I'm stepping back for a long time. Hasbro actually did the line I always wanted. Now what?

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I generally feel this way when there are things out that I'm looking for :lol 

I'd rather have the relief of knowing I'm not looking for things and can enjoy what I have.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I always look... will always want something to want...

but feel aparticular satisfaction knowing I'm all caught up (more or less) for now.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Domestic releases? Yeah, it gets a little disheartening to know that the thrill of the hunt is on hiatus. But that just gives me an excuse to hit resale shops looking for bits I can put back together. Hell, found RID Ops cab the other day for a tiny bit. Most fun I've had shopping in a while.

12. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Never happens to me, Im not rich enough.:tongue: 

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i think it will be a LONG time until i get everything i am looking for.

*points to exclusive japanese rare transformers that i wished were to be reissued!* :lol 

lost? there are plenty of other transformers out there to buy! if i had everything in the stores, there is always thrift stores!

14. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    I get what you're saying, but Prowl?! He's one of my least favorite Classics figures. Standing next to Spec Ops Jazz where he belongs makes him look positively antique to me. Easily in the top five molds I'd support redoing (Megatron, Galvatron, Grimlock, and The Seekers being the other four). Aside from the gaps, his head could be on a ball joint, and his shoulders and knees always look weird no matter how you pose him... and toss in some of those fancy new hands like Jazz has.

I'm not saying he's completely without charm, but man.. I'd kick ass for a new Prowl.

15. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I still really love the prowl/bluestreak/smokescreen mold... Never saw the issues with his knees and shoulders as others do. When positioned correctly, he's the mutts nuts.

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    THis

17. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    I am not saying there aren't some poses in which he looks fine. I am saying that compared to Jazz (who I use as an example of a guy who'd frequently be posed next to Prowl as well as being all around generally considered an excellent figure), he looks like an antique, and I think he's one of the most significant examples of this. In a line up of the 84 Autobot cars, he stands out as having the least sophisticated design. I am not judging you for liking him. He's a fine figure, I own him, I like him. I'm simply saying he'd be high on my list of molds to redo if HasTak's going to start doing that kind of thing. Not above Grimlock, not above Galvatron. But on the list.

18. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I enjoy the feeling of knowing I have everything I want. It gives my wallet a break and it lets me enjoy what I have instead of rushing to get whatever new stuff is out.

19. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I like not feeling anxiety. There's productive stress and there's anxiety.

As far as regular retail goes, I've been caught up for a while. But I prefer to keep this hobby pretty well budgeted and kind of dull that way.

The whole end of the RtS line crazy and the Warpath Generations wave drove me bonkers. When RtS wave 2 finally appeared at my local Target, I was overjoyed. I realize not everyone has had a chance at this line locally or through an online seller.

I enjoy not having to check out the irregular stock-habits of TJ Maxx/Marshall's and other discounters. I enjoy seeing a Wheeljack and Warpath on the pegs of Targets and knowing I don't have to snap it up.

As much as I like hunting, I don't like the buying. More time to enjoy the toys.

20. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I usually end up surfing the net for reviews on older figures I passed on or missed. I often end up getting a small haul of bw figures when there is nothing else. As I run out things I was only half interested in become my targets that I start hunting eBay for.

It is pretty dull heading to the mall knowing there isn't a single tf on the shelf I will want though. 3rd party stuff helps but there is no thrill in hunting it down, just the decision of what to preorder with it to save on shipping.

Dotm seems really bad for it, just about everything was out before the movie so I had everything I wanted around release and there has been no excitement since. Hasbro certianly isn't striking while the iron is hot with the final waves.