Anyone else disappointed with the gaming industry right now

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundlips, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Are you dissaponted with the gaming industry as a whole right now

1. Yes, I am

72.2%
  2. No, I am not

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Soundlips

Soundlips Yes, they are real

Simply put, there is a severe lack of new games coming out and it's really starting to feel like a drag. I know all the Covid bs severely impacted every company by a factor of like 2 years, but it's getting to the point of being beyond ridiculous. I was lucky enough to manage to somehow get a next gen console, but honestly, I am simply bored as there are so far only 2-3 legitimately good next gen games out right now, hell I'll take some really good indie games but even those are delayed as well. This has been by far the worst console launch of all time game wise and stock wise.

I mean look at the new Certain Affinity game, we know almost nothing about and it's to the point where it really pisses me off because so many companies pulled an Elder Scroll 6, i.e. teased a game that was nowhere near ready just for good pr. The list of games they've announced and went radio silence is aggrevating. I get that they want to make a good game, but it's not even for the games sake, its just the suits who want to sound good and have good press.

I know this is just a really long rant, but it's the blunt reality of the gaming and media industry right now. Stuff is just not coming out and wont be for a good while.

A whole new factor no one saw coming was the pending frat boy culture in gaming companies that lead to all sorts of sexual harassment lawsuits and strikes. This issue is huge, because there are some VERY serious charges being made to A LOT of higher up executives (granted, they are for the shit companies like Activion and Riot Games) but still now every game studio is now in danger and suspicion. It's to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if a golden love child like Bethesda or CDPR had these same issues as the industry has gotten incredibly more scummy, more corporate, and manipulative over the years, and have burned us hard in the past.

With Covid issues, internal issues, and probably personal issues for one reason or another, it's no wonder why games aren't being made. There's so much negative shit going on right now that its literally making it damn near impossible to make a good game or a game period.

The only plus side to this, is that there are now a lot of new studios being made by the better and more promising devs, but we will have to wait and see if that truly pays off, as I truly hope it does and gives the power back to the creators and people who legitimately love their work.

What are your thoughts on the industry right now? Do you think it will eventually get back to normal, or will a new normal take its place?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yodoswaginz

Yodoswaginz Well-Known Member

Tbh I think the situation with the Certain Affinity game is worse than with Eldar Scrolls 6. Like the Eldar Scrolls 6 announcement was annoying - as you say they announced it very early in its development schedule, years before it's going to be released, but with the Certain Affinity game they haven't even announced it yet - even though it should be further along in its development. In fact according to the leaked investor's documents, they originally aimed to release it in 2019! And still no announcement.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Soundlips

I wish I could say this was just Certain Affinity, but it has become appalling apparent it's just about everyone in the gaming industry right now. There is so much behind the scene drama that is going on that we do not know about, that's just now finally being revealed that's just barely hitting the top of the iceberg because the devs themselves are now at the same level of annoyance as we are, it not more because they see first hand the trainwreck in motion.

4. Soundlips

Update: Since I have created this post, three more games have been delayed well into the 2022 timeframe, Horizon Zero Dawn, Stray, a small indie game, and a few rumors Halo will be delayed again to fix the bugs from all their flights.

Right when we think we have a game coming out, it just gets automatically delayed. It really does feel like having a winning lottery ticket then losing on the very last number.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I have like over 230 games on my ps4 that I bought black Friday 2019. I will probably never get to finish all of them. So, no. I wish they would release less games. I also still have a backlog from ps3, ps2 and PS1...

• Like Like x 4
  6. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

As someone whose been into gaming for a long time this industry always disappoints.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ClatterShards

ClatterShards Well-Known Member

I'm kind of disappointed that Hasbro hasn't at least tried to develop a TF game that is centered around one of the Cybertronian colonies being pulled into the War and you(the protag.) are trying to survive the war
    along side your decided allies.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

I'm disappointed with the gaming industry because I just don't like how under-passionate made games there have been. There's not as many cult-classic tier games anymore as they used to be. There's a few popularized AAA games every now and then that have actual thought and passion put into them, but after after that, the studios get either outright gutted for not meeting giant company expectations or are absorbed into a monopoly company for some soulless game with forgettable level design. Game studios really don't have as much creative sway as they used to have for creating memorable experiences. Remember also how studios used to be glad they were lucky enough to be working on an IP they loved, and wanted to make the most of it?

What's stopping with the Certain Affinity TF game being just an unmemorable paycheck game even with these delays? They're literally a company that believes in the "games as a service" model. Whenever I look at the concept art, interviews, and just playing WFC & FOC, it feels like High Moon Studios wanted to make a passionate-made TF video game experience. Which makes me come to the realization if those games were made today, (or generally other franchises) they would NOT have been made the way they were made back then. Just look how HMS ended up even, absorbed to do Destiny and COD shit.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Soundlips

I agree 100%, I would love to see a colony world like Caminus or ect be pulled into the war and give a whole new perspective we have never seen. This has been a topic that really has been glossed over and not really given much thought and legitimately pisses me off. Hell, I remember when I first saw the 86 movie and went into lore search for the destroyed planet of Lithone the first ever colony planet every shown and got fuck all and it really made me wonder what could happen if they put a lot of effort into exploring thay idea.

I feel the exact same way; the passion is gone and corporate has taken over. With FoC and WFC, you had passionate devs who truly cared about the game an lore, now you have rapist and corporate leads who only care about money and fucking over the average gamer in the most ways possible than making a legitimate well made game. Like I said before, we used to have devs that truly cared about making a good game, but most have gone to the dark side and only care about money. I wish they would give back power to devs and fans who will truly love this series and give it justice. I pray the new certain Affinity game will win the fans back over but hell I am about at the point to stop trusting both sony and Microsoft because they are doing nothing but lying to the consumer to make money and it sickens me. I love the TF community, even though I have had plenty of fights with it, but at least they give me a run for its money, because they are just as passionate about TF as I am. I want game devs to be the same, to challenge me on my knowledge of lore, characters, and story. I dont want them to make me stupid for being a dumbass and choosing loot boxes, microtransactions, and other bs purchases to be my foundation of a good game just because it's a TF title and we little dont have fucking anything else like Fifa and Madden
    I wont stand for it. I want quality and a well made game and will stand for nothing less.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

I do think gaming has an issue of showing CGI trailers, and no gameplay. How am I supposed to be excited for something if I don't see what I should be excited besides a trailer animated by another company?

Games feel to corporate now, as their no longer fun to make and now about chasing trends.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Soundlips

I think you hit this spot on. The passion is dead, they only care about money and nothing else

• Like Like x 1
  12. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ** bLaH-BLAAh-BlaHH-BLAAaAAH!.!!! **

For me personally I'm just sick and tired of the limited storage issue that has plague last and current gen. (*Please don't waste your time trying to explain why it needs to be done*) It's so F'N frustrating with deleting shit just to play shit and to add more salt to the wound it takes forever if its a big file.

I'm personally not in on next gen and am perfectly happy with my PS4 Pro and it's crazy for me to see to upgrade the PS5 SSD it's around $250.!.!! HOLY SHIT BALLS.!.!

Been a gamer since the NES days and honestly it just doesn't excite me as much anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I am dissapointed, but only for the same reason I'm dissapointed in the film industry and every other form of entertainment. Its just because of this pandemic the last few years. Everything has come to a crawl, and a lot of businesses have been shut down completely for months at a time.

Locally, we lost an EB games store, 2 toy collectable stores, a bowling ally and dozens of restaurants. Those are never coming back, so my norm is long gone.

There are a few games and movies that seem to have been dragged on for quite some time now, I have no idea when they will actually get released but it seems like Ive already been waiting for years (Kerbal Space Program 2, the new Thor movie, off the top of my head)

Its been 8 months? since the Series X came out and there's still nothing i wanna play for it. I think there was a new Forza game or something coming at one point but I honestly I just gave up long ago and have no interest in the system what so ever now. Im just building a new PC as at least I know I have a great library of classic games that will keep me entertained for a long time on there (Minecraft, Kerbal, FS2020) sandbox games that will forever keep getting updates. Plus I've yet to purchase a VR headset and been wanting one of those for sometime also. That will keep me busy for a while.

Something new will eventually come around.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not aggravated about pandemic delays or hardware stock shortages, those are wider issues beyond games and there is only so much that can be done about them until they pass.

Also not worried about game releases, there's stuff coming out that I want to play pretty much all the time and I could keep going on backlog for a few years if everything actually did stop tomorrow. If you like lots of games and have lots of platforms, you're never short of anything to play.

I am 100% done though with companies treating their employees like shit though whether it's crunch, sexual harassment or general corporate dickery. Anyone carrying on with this shit and not making significant and legitimate reform can pack their shit and fuck off as far as I am concerned.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This should be the main thing gamers need to be mad about!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'm not because I have very low expectations regarding this industry.

Ain't no low it can't reach.

Nowadays I keep to the indy games just to see what people can come with outside of the big industry.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm not quite as pessimistic. We've been in the tail end of the last generation of consoles and the next gen is just now starting to take off. It's natural for the last few years of a generation to get progressively slimmer and slimmer in games. It's just natural as dev teams start developing for next gen.

That doesn't mean there isn't anything interesting to play. Played Hades or Transistor? Played Ruiner? Ghost of Tsushima is getting all new content and that game is fucking stellar. Go back and play Vanquish and Bayonetta. They still stand the test of time.

Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2 are both fantastic games, and they came out this year. There's still Control I'd you haven't played that yet, and there is a Warhammer 40K coop wave survival shooter from the developers of the amazing Warhammer Fantasy game Vermintide.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Pandemic issues aside, gaming and a lot of places as a whole are now running on nostalgia, that is the biggest problem. When it comes to new games that are not sequels to established franchises, no one seems to be as excited. All we get are compilations of older games repackaged for digital buys of games from the nes to ps1 days. We also have things like the diablo 2 remasters, Skyward Sword, we had the remake of FF7 (though one could argue it is its own thing with how the plot and engine were done but thats personal opnions more than anything.) And rumors of yet another re-release of the first last of us, a ps5 launch game was a remake of a old ps3 game. On top of we have the yearly releases of madden, call of duty (or it seems like yearly), and other sports game that more or less pretty much update the roster and tweak one or two things but otherwise the game you played last year.

I say nostalgia, cause that seems to be all we're pushing, maybe in the next year we'll see some new games but I can't think of the top of my head any new franchisees that are not a spin-off of something established already. Companies as a whole are just retreading and it seems not wanting anything new cause it is simply to risky of safe money.

Now, it is a time of new systems everyone should now be upgrading and waiting for the new games to come out when the system is out. We're still at the point almost two years into a new generation, where i still struggle to find a reason to get a new one. There are a lot of reasons for this very obviously. But, if we don't start seeing new stuff soon even if its for 2022, Then we may be in an even bigger issue of people going "Why are we gonna buy a new thing that costs 300 plus dollars when nothing is coming out for it?"

And this is all on top of all the drama with companies treating their people, and it again is not just gaming a lot of companies are dealing with that, but some companies in gaming are having a lot to answer for in how they treat their workers that soon may not matter. If there is no product that people want to buy there is no company.

Granted that last comment is probably not likely to happen, people will buy things, but they may run out of reasons to when its the same thing over and over again....

19. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

We have over 30 years worth of games to play, I'm not worried about it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

That's what I've been doing this last year or so. Playing all my old fav games from when I was a kid.

Right now I'm playing through the campaign mode on Total Annihilation after I bought it on Steam a few weeks ago and realized I've never beaten the game! TA was probably my favorate RTS games back in the day, followed by C&C Red Alert. I am muchly looking forward to playing through that game again once my new PC build is done and I can enjoy the remastered version.