Anyone else bummed out about Earthrise?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Feb 21, 2020.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Nope. Siege and it's uncreative, barely there alt modes? Yes. so far Earthrise looks miles better.

Siege could have been epic, but the over-greebled detailing on early waves and the incredibly lame "Cybertronian" alt modes and even lamer "battle damage" paint apps were just terrible. I'm not opposed to Sci Fi alt modes in the slightest, but man a ton of Siege either just looked like earth vehicles with some extra junk bolted on to make it "sci fi", or completely phoned in.

On one hand, the character crossover between the 2 is a bit sad, but on the other I skipped everyone they are redoing for most of those reasons... (and they really aren't redoing as many as the whining would leave you to believe: Megatron is the only one that feels particularly egregious from a standpoint of BARELY being a remold and occupying one of the limited Voyager spots.

and while we ARE getting figures they've done before in CHUG, many of them haven't been done in a while (Grapple) or had mass availability (Runamuck) and we are getting a ton of all-new characters and concepts to CHUG like Double Dealer, Scorponock (yeah, yeah, he got a headmaster in Titan's Return), the Micromaster bases, Snapdragon, an AMAZING looking Skylynx...

only thing i am completely not feeling is the Rampmasters. "hey kids, it transforms from a robot with a ramp on it's back to a shield that looks like a ramp to an undersized ramp - collect them all!"

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PoptiOptimime

PoptiOptimime Well-Known Member

I liked the greeble and battle damage. I don't think they had enough battle damage! Were you expecting Bayformers type of bots/alts? I agree with your points, and I get it. I'm wondering, though, what should they have done? What could they have looked like?

• Like Like x 5
  3. Phenotype

Phenotype Well-Known Member

I'm pretty disappointed with Megs because the remolding is so slight. Optimus is a more extensive remold, plus they gave us his trailer. I feel they could have done a lot more with Megs, maybe a whole new mold since Op is a remold. It hasn't soured me on the whole line but it was pretty surprising considering how much they've nailed it otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure still if I like having to "Collect" parts of a toy as additional purchases like with Fastlane.
    Especially when Scorponok's (Black Zarak style spear) is included rather randomly with other toys in pieces.

But that said I'm curious about the weaponizing characters that seem to be on the show that are straight up repaints. I don't actually mind having cob or Sixgun in another colour that wouldn't be a bad addition to a giftset - compare to the pointlessness of Siege Decepticon Impactor and Not really very Transparent Mirage (which is a shame as the one shown on the box looked lovely).

I continue to like the Micromasters though.

5. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I agree that even for the Micromasters they feel a bit undersized, but still, getting a bunch of ramp guys together and connecting them all to the base guys to make a Micromaster city is a cool idea.

• Like Like x 1
  6. artiepants

News Credits:
    it is a cool idea, just all a bit undersized, and the rampmasters are pretty goofy as bots. Maybe if they were a little more robust and could fold out 2X in length? And so far they’ve only announced 1 in each wave 1 & 2, so if you want a bunch of connections, your buying duplicates...

feels like if this was the 80s wave 1 would have hit with 6 or 8 unique ones...

7. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Maybe, but the 80's is the same era that brought us single packs of Storm Troopers and Foot Soldiers, so buying multiples of the same guys would still have been a thing. However, they certainly would have made them a bit larger, that's for sure.

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    We still aren't getting sexy man Skar though...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no.. no it is not, and I'll be honest, maybe a bit blunt here:

If TFs are considered alive, then spending your life as a piece of road, or a shield that means that you're sacrificing yourself, is a pretty neurotic way of life, very depressing.

If the road/shield section was detachable it would at least help not be as bad, but as they are, they are the saddest TFs ever made. I would never be able to justify buying any to be a bunch of road parts.

It's simply a very bad idea but like so many things I've seen the fandom do... "Hasbro did it, so it must be awesome, yippee, bandwagon, here I come!".

• Like Like x 2
  10. artiepants

News Credits:
    hahahaha, wow, I never even considered it like that, I just thought they looked pretty lame. (props for the 2 headed guy though, I appreciate the weirdness factor there ~ he can join a team with Sinnertwin, Hungrrr, Doubleheader and Doublecross...)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Patrickab7

Patrickab7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kinda bummed if Slitherfang is a ramp-former...

12. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

I think he is...

Concerning the "ramp / road formers", i feel it's an exploration of the "everything in Cybertron is alive" and even bits of the scenery (in this case, the connecting bridges) are Transformers of some sort.

Besides, i don't think Hasbro selling just random connecting bridges would be profitable based on their business model. I mean, if even basic weapon packs are unfeasible and have to be given Transformer altmodes, what more just random road bits...

jya na

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you are supposed to think of them as Shields first and Road pieces second.
    But if they are connected to a base - they could also be considered the crew of said base.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    You mean like Metroplex who spends his days as a city where the other Transformers all live and only gets to transform for battle? Or Omega where his days are spent being a rocket base and transport to shuttle other Transformers around?

I mean think about it: They live millions and millions of years, so some time spent dormant probably means nothing to them like it would compared to our organic fleeting lives (which we still spend an exceptional amount of time doing menial tasks), so depression probably doesn't set in. Plus as living beings, they can transform back and forth as needed, forming and reforming the path ways at a whim. They wouldn't have to just stay in one place forever. Need to go left? OK, now you can go left.

It's also just a function, not a personality. Like all of the Soundbarriers can be the Highway for work all day, but after rush hour is done they get together with Ironworks and go hang out at Maccadam's or wherever. Really, it's a neat idea, and with a little imagination it's no sillier than the idea of say the guys that turn into guns, or guys that turn into other guys' heads. It's just more of the idea that the world of the robotic Transformers from top to bottom is alive.

• Like Like x 7
  15. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's still incredibly neurotic to be someone's shield or a piece of the road...

As a shield, you are just inactive and your purpose is to be destroyed so that the robot holding you is protected.

As a piece of road, you are just there doing nothing while everyone else is driving on you.... take a break and you end up with a massive car pileup, crashes, cars falling to their death, because a part of the freaking road/bridge is missing while he's gone to recharge or talking with someone... what sort of existence could one consider to just be there and do nothing.

It's not like they are disguised as the road, the road would be there already.

If part of Cybertron in a non sentient being, a drone that gets activated as needed, it's another thing.. morbid as hell, and the moment they are activated from being roads, the structural intergrity of roadways is completely destroyed and they do what then? attack? oh, no weapons... so they flip from being a piece of road to being a shield... again... no real point in even being a robot.

Again... it's just a bad concept storywise. As toys, well, they are what they are but still playwise, still extremely limited and lame.

So yes, Hasbro should simply sell street parts, or just have a few as accessories (as shield/ramps) to all figures of the wave... but again, Hasbro giving decent add-ons and extra accessories? It'll be raining frogs before that happens, and so many of the fandom just drink it down.

16. Moos Crew

Moos Crew I make stuff

I am tired of earth mode and Starscream's earth mode looks more like a Conehead mold instead of a a seeker mold.

17. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Well said! I love the notion of the Transformers' world being alive.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    That why I refuse to get the Ramps (outside of slitherfang) If I want more ramps I'll get a few more Ironworks.

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    so coneheads dont look like seekers? because starscreams mold looks plenty like starscream

• Like Like x 3
  20. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

The coneheads were based on the seeker mold. So they actually look like Starscream, not the other way around.

Yeah, building an interconnecting city sounds like it'll be fun. Especially with all the micromasters running around.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1