Anyone else afraid to buy third party?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by zandar07, Jun 30, 2014.

1. zandar07

zandar07 Well-Known Member

I'm terrified that I will drop some serious cash on a 3rd party figure, and then Hasbro will release a legit version that is better.

I already own 5 or 6 3rd party figures and they are awesome, but what if Hasbro releases a version and I blew my money on 3rd party!?!?!

I'm already stressing out about FT-04 Scoria. It looks amazing, and so does Soar (in my opinion), if I buy one, I'll probably end up getting them all. And they have already stated that they are going to release a Grimlock......but I already have MP Grimlock, what if FT's Grimlock is better than my MP Grimlock?!?!!?

shit keeps me up at night.

2. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

no way hastak does the other dinos.

relax. enjoy what you have and try not to dwell on things like this.

i have quake-wave. it is awesome. if takara does one i don't feel like i would really need it. so it doesn't worry me. i do sell things from time to time, even to upgrade. timing when you sell and patience are keys to getting as much as you can back, or even more than you paid. watch reviews. good figures hold their value.

3. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    No.

Reason 1 - 99.9% of the time the 3p version is vastly superior to the hasbro
    Reason 2 - I like having multiple versions of characters
    Reason 3 - If a hasbro one gets made I'll get it as well if I want it cause they're dirt cheap

On the contrary if I bought a hasbro figure I was already iffy about out of a need to fill a slot and then a third part released a far superior figure I would be pissed at myself for wasting money on the inferior product. And that has actually happened with gen metro now that utopia exists.

4. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hit this after the 30th time a kitbash I had finished or almost finished had an official or 3rd party version made. (I'm not kidding, it's gotten to the point where I've had friends beg me to make/start a custom of a toy they want made because it's happened THAT often)
    Honestly what I've ended up doing is just focusing on 3rd party toys that hit EVERY note just right for me, where I know there is no way an official toy could hit it as spot on due to the current aesthetics in HasTak toys, copyright issues (such as with Malboro Wheeljack, etc) or the fact that Hasbro has to have the toys appeal to a wider audience AND has far more stringent safety laws due to child safety as opposed to a toy aimed at an older collector.
    I still always wait and hunt around to see what else is out there, etc. It's a balancing game, I guess^^

5. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Less that than "do I really want to trust this invisible, less than straight-forward crew with a big chunk of my money on blind faith" when we are talking about Huff, Stack, Scoria, Mugan-anything etc.......

And preorders that stay unfulfilled for months/years leaving a project incomplete (any 3P Combiner ever......)

That's some ulcer-inducement right there.

Hastak making their versions of stuff I've just bought; only Springer has delivered a knockout on Defender (and many don't even acknowledge that!) so that's less a concern to me. The upcoming Ultra-Blocky will just be an add on and won't be replacing Stack in my collection.

6. zandar07

What makes you say Hasbro won't release the Dino Bots? Also, do you think they will every do MP scale combiners? I'm really interested in TFC Hercules, and possibly even Uranos......

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

you know what, I've been saying that about the dinos for a long time. now, i don't even care if they make them or not because FT knocked that shit outta the park. :)  I know I'm sticking FT all the way for my 5 dinos after getting scoria in hand.

if they did a combiner, i can't imagine them going bigger than the warbotron stuff. scale nuts can complain all they want for a super huge combiner, but somebody has to actually want to make it for it to happen.

8. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    1. You can always sell the item at cost or at a slight loss. Even if you do take a monetary loss, you got to enjoy the figure for a while, so it's not as if you didn't get any mileage out of it.

2. Even the most expensive third party toys are peanuts compared to other hobbies. How many 3rd party figures could you buy for the price of golf equipment / golf club membership? Or tennis gear? Or, I dunno, clubbing? Even a moderately fancy restaurant dinner will cost you more than an average 3rd party figure.

3. These figures have more than one mode. What's stopping you from displaying the Hasbro figure in one mode, and the 3rd party figure in the other mode?

9. zandar07

ALright, you've convinced me......I'm going to order Soria. If Hasbro releases a legit version, and it's pure, unbridled awesome, expect an angry PM.

10. zandar07

Money!

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i like the way you think Sammael.

i just spent $1500 on a 5 day trip to Legoland for my family of 4. i was thinking to myself this week costs the same as all 5 FT dinobots and Feral Rex combined! :) 

12. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

ha!

just make sure to order through a reputable dealer so you can get any qc stuff fixed. there have been some missing parts etc. mine was perfect.

when you get that thing in hand you won't regret it. it pretty much blows grimlock away.

13. zandar07

BBTS is usually my go to site.....they got him for 200, which seems to be the going rate after checking the other major toy e-tailers.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get yours?

14. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Shit keeps you up at night? Well look at it this way;

Takara will get to the Dinobots one day but at the pace theyre going now and all the characters they need to release it won't be for at least 7-10 years. Combiners? We may get Devastator in the next 2 years, maybe Bruticus in the next 5 years, the other combiners are a 5-15 year wait.

Why wait years for something we may or may not get? Get in there and enjoy what life has to offer now.

15. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I think you're safe. 99% of the time Hasbro will either release their version well after the 3P version, or Hasbro's version will be shit compared to the 3P version (ex. FP Revolver/Roadbuster, FP Smart Robin/Brainstorm, Maketoys' Trashtalk & Cogwheel/Legends Swerve & Gears, Mech Ideas' Wrecking Crew/Generations Twintwist & Topspin ... I can go on.)

16. zandar07

I was just messing around about it keeping me up at night, but it is a legitimate concern of mine when buying 100-200 price range figures. Generally when I drop that kinda money, I like to think that I can officially check that character off my list in regards to a 'definitive version' of that particular character. Perhaps I'm just wanting to have my cake and eat it too. There will always be something new, that will be 'cooler' than what I got, and I'll then feel obligated to buy it, lol, I guess that's just the vicious cycle of collecting.

You make some points about release dates and the pacing of MP figures. Thinking about it like that makes me less reluctant to buy some of the 3rd party stuff I've been eyeing.

17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

bbts is still a safe bet for qc help.

i think i paid $199 shipped at tfsource. i don't buy from them anymore, but i ordered this so long ago that's where i got it. i usually order from captured prey now. the chosen prime and toy dojo also have good reputations.

18. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Here's the secret to to 3p. Buy what you like, and don't worry about the "official" part of it. If it fits your collection, and looks good, who cares who made it... For instance, I was just about finished ordering Toyworld's Bii when mp21 pics posted. I still prefer Bii, and think he's more accurate.... But I did preorder mp21 only coz I know 3p will offer different faces (prefer all chrome faceplate) and I want to show VW that official beetle bots sell well. I don't like Bee as a muscle car. Doesn't fit in with the small scout persona. If vw sees their alliance with Hastak as profitable, maybe a vw bee will show in a mainline toy, plus it might ensure the eventual release of other vw group cars like the various Porsche Autobots.

I bought quakewave knowing if TT makes a Shockwave, it'll be a light toy with little to no die cast like soundwave. Quakewave is a hulking brute.

I bought scoria and have preordered the others because I have faith FT will deliver MUCH sooner than TT will ever do dinobots, and I like the look of scoria. I'd rather be happy with something in hand then pining over future fantasies.

Will there be a future mp galvatron? Probably. But I don't see anything happening soon, and the repaint mania king is talking to me, so I preordered it...

19. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's part of the risk of collecting, 3rd party, whatever.

Remind me to tell you of the story of how I dropped a shitload of money on a complete G1 Fort Max, only to have Takara announce the reissue a week later. I wasn't a happy camper, but it didn't ruin me and i've moved on.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i do think an mp Galvatron is coming. ;)