Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tesla Sheepdog, Nov 13, 2016.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It is a joke. South Park season 18. Gentrification of the bad part of town (Kenny's Home) into upscale trendy place. South Downtown South Park or SoDoSoPa. This thing is called NaNoWriMo so i was making a little joke out of it.

2. Tesla Sheepdog

Tesla Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Oh...

3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've been developing this idea for a soft-sci-fi take on the sentient alien robot concept. Obviously I love the idea since I've been obsessed with Transformers (and robots in general) my whole life.

My general idea is to make it as different from Transformers as possible, since that would be the most obvious comparison. My main inspiration for doing this was to show off their culture instead of having an endless war.

Got my main character. Got the origin of their species nailed down. Got a real bare bones overview of their planet. Got an antagonist. Got all this stuff, so it's not bad. Just gotta sit down & do a first draft.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sounds like you have all the boxes checked off, just the writing and sitting down are tough

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Yeah, that's the problem for me most of the time trying to write stories, which is why I've found NaNoWriMo something of a blessing, since once I take the time to figure out my timetable for typing each day and working out basic outlines in my head before it starts, I pretty much force myself to go through with it once it does. Trying to get the things that bounce around my head down on paper (or the screen) has always been a problem for me.

Granted, in all honesty, both of those last two stories that I DID finish were basically variations on alien invasions, so there was a little bit of thematic continuity, I suppose. The first one started out as a Body Snatchers-type alien-impostor story that very early on becomes a getaway as the aliens hunt the one person in town they couldn't infect (the physical nature of the aliens themselves was admittedly more akin to "The Thing" than "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers") all the way across the state...though I also had this intrigue angle where it shifted between the perspective of the hero and three separate alien parties whose agendas were at cross-purposes to each other: one to kill the kid, another part of the aliens' slave labor planning a revolt, and another a bounty hunter and his young apprentice hired by the nearest galactic peacekeeping organization to pick off the leader of the aliens. The kid's flight from capture essentially kicks these three subplots into motion. So that was kind of a struggle.

The second story was a little less convoluted, though only marginally, since it was basically a Yojimbo/Fistful Of Dollars/Last Man Standing-tinged story situated entirely in a small town that had been devastated in the meteor strike that precipitated these aliens' arrival (shades of War of the Worlds), and everyone in it had been basically wiped out and replaced with half-plant replicas (again, the Body Snatchers thing coming back into play) that were a point of contention to these two rival camps of aliens since there was little other food available (the story takes place when there's snow all over, so there's Pale Rider sneaking in too; the Eastwood influence also extended into Joe Kidd [the hero helps rescue the villagers/floroids from imprisonment] and Two Mules For Sister Sara [the lead female character needs his help infiltrating enemy territory]). And of course, the closest thing to a hero in the story was this cyborg (for lack of a better term; as described he looked more traditionally like a robot than a cyborg) - another bounty hunter, although it's hinted that he was actually from this town originally, meaning he was human once (this kind of echoed the first story a bit in that the kid in that one ended up getting his arm zapped off to prevent an infection attempt - which in his case sent him into cardiac arrest before it could get very far - from spreading and got it replaced by a nanotech-based prosthetic capable of forming weapons or tools with a thought).

In both cases, in keeping with their source inspirations, I wouldn't say the endings were entirely optimistic, either.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thought about giving it a go, but had to complete a screenplay and do a hefty revision of one of my short stories to get them ready for next semester's capstone classes.

7. Tesla Sheepdog

If I remember correctly tomorrow is when people can start validating their word count.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I am 5 days behind on my word count but i should be able to get there by month's end.

9. Tesla Sheepdog

Same here. I really dragged my feet this time but I plan on making up for lost time.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ditto . now if Pokemon sun doesn't totally sink me when i get suni will be okay.

11. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

This is my fourth time doing NaNoWriMo.

The first year was a miserable failure.

The next two years, I completed the challenge.

This year... ugh. It is a bad time in my personal life and a huge amount of stuff going on, so I didn't decide to do it until the night before. Never been a pantser before, and I'm struggling hard. If I don't manage to write anything today, I'll be about 4,000 words behind. Certainly not an impossible deficit to overcome, but I'm used to hitting that 50,000 word mark around the 26th of November, and that is certainly unlikely at this point.

But, even if I don't hit that 50,000 word mark, I should be close, and I may still count it as a personal victory in the face of adversity.

12. Tesla Sheepdog

It's rough but I try to get my word count in before the deadline. Once I fell asleep before uploading my word count and it was too late when I woke up!