Anybody into Tabletop games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FanboyX, Jul 14, 2017.

1. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

I hope this isn't a redundant thread (I did search but im mobile and didnt see a dedicated thread) and I hope i'm posting in the right place. If i'm in the wrong starting a new thread in General, I apologize in advance and understand if it's moved, locked, or deleted. I know there's an RPG and Games Forum but that seemed pretty TF-specific.

How many folks here are into tabletop games? RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Warhammer, Fantasy Craft, etc. Also games like Pandemic, Lords of Waterdeep, Elder Signs and others of the sort. Just wondering who's playing, what you're into, and what you like (or don't) about it.

Edit: should have included Star Wars, 40k, Mutants and Masterminds, and Marvel and DC Universe RPGs as examples.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Aaaaaabsolutely. Group roleplays in general are a huge love of mine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Cool! What settings do you usually play? Fantasy, modern, hi tech, supers? What character(s) do you play?

Currently i'm playing fifth edition dungeons and dragons. Running a Paladin for the first time and loving every minute. Our regular DM has to take a break, so I'm building a space fantasy setting on fifth ed's ruleset.

4. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Generally speaking, high-tech and fantasy. Jamming the two together is even better.

I've played with 4E and 5e-- frankly I don't really care much about edition.

My focus is creativity, fun, and making a world that feels real insofar as depth of characters and setting goes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I played D&D back in high school, through college and for about ten years after that. Stopped playing when the group dissipated, so I switched to Warhammer Fantasy and 40K.

Playing D&D was easily the best time of my life (outside of being a father). The all night gaming sessions, the creativity, the characters, and most importantly the friends.
    Yeah, I truly miss those days.

Warhammer, on the other hand, was a money pit. I liked playing, but 'needing' the latest and more expensive models all the time was tiresome. At least I was able to become a pro customizer/painter and could use commissions to buy those figures.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Played chess and go at one time, but not anymore, (played with my grandfather many years ago) that's if you consider these chess games tabletop games

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Nope. Not into them.

8. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Bought a bunch of Star Wars Attacktix...mostly because of the figures. Little cousins played for a bit, then got bored. Apparently using the entire living floor shooting missiles at each other's figures wasn't fun enough for them.

Didn't bother with TF Attacktix as it was mostly AEC-era figures.

Played Battleship A LOT back in the 80s. I still have it (with box) somewhere in the closet.

9. arsalrkn92

arsalrkn92 New Member

Take your time, look around, and find a group and game that is right for you.Make sure you know the people you want to play with well. If you can tap into their existing interests and passions, you’ll both have a better time.

10. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I did however just purchase Star Wars The Black Series Trivial Pursuit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Oh yeah. I enjoy trivial pursuit.

And yeah really it's cool if anyone wants to talk chess, risk, cards against humanity, or shoots and ladders. Anything you like playing at a table with friends and family!

12. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Tried at Magic. It was fun. I mostly just love the art and themes of it. Medieval fantasy is my shit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

I played a lot of MTG in middle school. Think it was around the first expansion. Didn't stick with it long but know a few people who are still playing. The art's great (and some of the Alpha cards are hilarious), it's definitely what drew me in.

Speaking of CCGs, anybody ever play Legend of the Five Rings or Raw Deal way back when?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Oh man, do I fucking miss rolling for initiative. I really enjoyed the DnD campaigns I was a part of, from memory we used 3.5 rules and we did both a standard DnD setting AND a D20 Modern setting which was basically X-COM.

In fact our DM had a house rule: if you rolled three Natural 20's in a row you were awarded a "Hollywood Point" for the combat round that should your description of what you character did was sufficiently awesome enough, you didn't have to roll damage for all your targets because he just killed them.

• Like Like x 4
  15. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Pretty cool you were able to turn your hobby into a paying gig, though. I'd like to get paid for creative work someday.

Was never really able to get into Warhammer as a table top game, but i'm vaguely familiar (and appreciative) of the lore and i've played Space Marine and a bit of the RTSs on my PC. What drew you in? I loved the dwarves and orcs/goblins.

I liked 3.5 while I played, though I got the impression that the friends I play with were intimidated by the expanse of the rules. Personally, I enjoyed the customization potential but we've moved to several game systems since. Currently playing Fifth Ed, which I feel has more of 3.5's spirit but borrows some quality mechanics from Fourth. In our game, the DM uses a deck of critical combat cards for Pathfinder. Cards granted for nat 20's and 1's benefit and penalize PC and NPC alike. Creates some impressive moments to be sure!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dachande

News Credits:
    Huh. Forgot about Magic. That's weird, since I still have over 10,000 cards in a closet in my other room.
    Not kidding, either. I used to be a judge, and started playing right after Legends.
    Spent years, and thousands of dollars on that game. Maybe that's why I forgot to include it in my original post.
    Many good memories...
    -Card night with all my friends- every Tuesday at least 10 of us would get together for constructed or draft.-
    -Won some tourneys and got free stuff.
    -Loved collecting foils (once got a 'god booster pack' of 12 foils and three rares).
    -The coolest player I ever met at a tourney (Urza's Saga Pre-Release) was a very attractive young woman that intentionally wore low cut shirts and flirted with teen boys to distract them while playing. She was awesome.
    ...and many not-so-good ones...
    -The competition from hard-core 'winners' got tiresome.
    -The release schedule and rotation was annoying as hell. Constant money drop.
    -Bought a huge collection with three other friends from a player, which included multiples of the Power Nine. We split the big stuff, and sold it off to get back what we paid. We each ended up with loads of goodies, but did sell off the huge stuff. Unfortunately, it was right before Mirroden hit, so the Moxes we sold for $200 a piece instantly climbed to $400 a couple of weeks later. DAMMIT.

Now THAT is a good DM!
    I've also learned that sometimes ignoring the rules is the best way to play. Not for big stuff, but for the sake of keeping the players engrossed and enjoying the adventure.
    Roll a bad score behind the screen? Well, let's just increase this a little bit to see what they can do.

My love of D&D was what drew me towards Warhammer Fantasy. I really enjoyed Chaos and the Dark Elves the most, mainly because most of my D&D characters were either neutral or chaotic neutral bordering on evil.

• Like Like x 2
  17. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Ηmm....Lets see I need to dust my bin down the memory lane....

Started D&D at around 15 years of age. It was the second edition. My first character was a Solamnic knight from the Dragonlance world. Best campaign I had too.

But my favourite world was Faerun hands down. Played till 3.5 edition but after 4 hit the group called it quits (the fact that we were In different unis didnt help either). I dmed a bit in Uni too but soon D&D was forgotten and left as a happy memory thing.

I also played Vampire the masqurade at that time.

I tried a small foray into magic, but the fact that card games have the random drawing element always pisses me off to no end so I didnt follow that up.

Next stop was my 40k Dark Angels army from the Glory days of 3rd edition.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dachande

News Credits:
    Dark Angels, one of the few Loyalist chapters I don't hate.
    Personally, it's either Tyranids, Genestealer Cults, Night Lords or Emperor's Children for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Heh, The only chapter with any personality and the only trully loyal if you ask me.

If I had to pick one from the chaos side, it probably would have been Alpha Legion.

20. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I'm very into Warhammer 40k, it's almost overtaking Transformers as my primary hobby :lol 

I've got two armies, A small little Tzeentch Chaos army and a homebrew Space Marine Chapter that's been steadily growing since 8th edition was released with all the Primaris stuff. I'm only now really starting to get into the game, I got into the hobby about 8 months ago, and only played like, two games of 7th edition. I kept not wanting to get the 7th edition rules stuck in my head when I knew there was a new edition around the corner, so I just focused on the models, building up my armies. I've played at least ten games of 8th since it was released, though.