anybody here a coin collector as well?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rdfnd1253, May 19, 2014.

1. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

I was curious as I am trying to learn more about gold coins and best avenue to find some roughed up ones for a good price. I know my great great grandmother had handed down gold coins in the family and each of my mothers kids were given a coin. Unfortunately in 2001 when we got are house redone, one of the workers who happened to be an ex NYPD officer, stole the coins. Each coin was a $20 gold US coin from the early 1800's that had been passed down over the years. I would like to replace each one, if I can, or at least the one that I should of had being that the coins are now so expensive. I figure I will go for a $5 or $10 gold USA coin as it should be more reasonable to acquire over time. Anyway, my question is where can I find a good deal and what is the best gold coin to acquire for long term investment, and artistic value(a lot of those coins have nice artwork on them).

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

The Double Eagle - $20 gold coin didn't come out till 1849 and minted till 1933. As you can see here with this Ebay category listing, they're quite expensive.
    $20 and Double Eagle US Coins | eBay

Even the Eagle coins 1795-1933 and the Half Eagle coins 1795-1929 are quite pricy. Your best bet, in my opinion, would to be to go for the modern American Eagle coins. The 1/10th oz coin runs around $200.

Where to get it? I'd recommend if you're looking for gold coins, go to a local coin dealer, or else go to a coin convention. Many coin magazines list convention dates in them. Also, before you buy, do your research to make sure you're actually getting a good deal.

Edit - A good place to start to learn about the American coins is the Red Book of Coins published by Whitman. It's been produced since 1946
    . It has valuable information on prices, and how to grade coins. I highly recommend you buy it and study it before you attempt to purchase coins.
    https://whitman.com/redbook

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I finished the 50 State quarters map if that counts. Got 'em all. :thumb 

4. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    As a "tip" to anyone looking to buy coins from a swapmeet/fleemarket and the like. Bring a strong magnet with you. Gold, sliver, and copper coins should not be magnetic....

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  5. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    Sure, junk silver and 1982 & earlier Pennied since those were comprised mainly of.copper and have twice their value in melt. Quarters from 1964 and earlier have 40 percent silver I believe and since an ounce of silver is.around 20 bucks.I figure a quarter from those years is worth about what, tree fitty or so ?

6. Star Sabre James

Quarters were 90% silver, as were dimes, and halves between 1837 and 1964. before that they were 89.24% silver. Also, the previous poster was correct about pre 82' cents, but it's currently illegal to melt them.

7. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    It is ? Oops!

8. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

thanks guys for the info and all. I think since I am selling off most of my collection I might try to get a gold coin or so. Maybe trade a few of my masterpiece figures for a gold US coin.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

missing one state...:( 

and i was trying to get the other ones after but it seems those are even harder to find too.

was gonna do the dollar coins, but that's a lot of money haha

10. Star Sabre James

Yeah, the dollar coins add up fast. Even faster now that they are only made for collectors now and are not for general circulation. You can get the in the mint sets or buy rolls of them from the mint.