Customs: Anybody ever fully disassemble a siege sideswipe mold fig?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by POSSESSED_DIGIT, Jul 6, 2021.

1. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    As long as that mold has been out I’ve been thinking of swapping those shoulder pieces with other mold mates to better color match in car mode. Just wondering if anybody here attempted it yet.

on a side note, I just got a Netflix Deep Cover(the blue guy) and was baffled to find that his blue parts are actually all painted blue on gray plastic. Why wouldn’t they just cast him in blue plastic in the first place?? I was gonna remove his battle damage with rubbing alcohol, but now I worry I’d strip it down to the gray plastic by accident

• Like Like x 1
  2. NemesisNerd

NemesisNerd Well-Known Member

I was trying to remove Deep Cover's windshield battle damage with alcohol and couldn't get anything to come off! As far as disassembling the mold goes, I got it down to just the pinned pieces (of which there are many), and I hate removing pins. Replacing the pins afterwards tends to mess up my paint job a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    I was thinking of removing the windshield damage also. There’s always the option of getting a different mold-mate and just swapping.
    Also, I wonder if there’s a way to remove the battle damage from the chest without taking the blue paint off underneath. Doubt it. I need a good matching blue paint for painting him up. But I’m no painter. Just spraypaint…

as for parts swapping, I just went “F it” and dug into it. I was able to totally disassemble them and swap whatever parts I needed. Had a little trial and error but I’ve got it down now. I plan on doing more when I get kingdom sideswipe and red alert.

4. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was looking at picking up G2 Seige Sideswipe to swap the shoulder hinges with Kingdom Sideswipe - what do you reckon? Curious to see any pics of your outcomes :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    I’ve actually swapped the shoulders on my G2 sideswipe with Red Alert, and keep trying to convince a couple friends/family to let me borrow 1 of their G2 swipes so I can do the same with my Kingdom sideswipe. I think shortly after posting this, I just went ‘screw it’ and went to work on it. I remember posting my kingdom red alert on here. It’s been awhile since I did one. But I’ve done it a bunch of times now. It just takes the right tools. You not only have to swap that hinge, but the entire inner chest piece that houses the other half of the hinge. But it’s doable.

here’s a link to a semi-OC/homage Optimus prime:

Heavy/Scratch: - Swappapalooza! Optimus Prime!!

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. YankeeTango

YankeeTango Active Member

I’ve been moving around some pieces with the Alphastrike g2 Sideswipe and Gigawatt. For the life of me, i can’t get the knee pins out. Bent 2 pin drivers. Tried a soldering iron. Nothing works. Any ideas or tips?

7. POSSESSED_DIGIT

News Credits:
    Yeah they’re a bitch. I think I heated the pin heads with a soldering iron then tapped them out enough to use pliers to yank them all the way out. The downside is the knees end up a bit loose, but glue will tighten them back up. The upside is that it’s a lot easier to pull those pins out again afterwards.