Anybody collect baseball cards\autographs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljack01, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Just wondering if anyone out there has a baseball passion like me. I have a couple thousand autographed cards signed, not to mention 8x10s and baseballs. I am not usually for just one team, though if I did it would be the braves\reds. I go to a lot of minor league games during the summer and get a lot of graphs, and not just from the future stars either. The Chattanooga Lookouts(AA for the Dodgers) are my hometown team, so I have quiet a few autos from their up and coming prospects. This year I went to spring training and got to meet a ton of players...it was my first time there and I can't wait to go next year. Anyways, I was just wondering if there is any fans here that collect. If you would like to see my spring training pics please feel free to send me a friend request on facebook. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I do. It's my favorite sport. I'm constantly working on my rookie and autographed card displays. Do you have any pics?

3. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I loved baseball as a kid, but I don't have time for it any more. There are just too many games and there is no way I can spend three hours a day or more watching.

I do like to attend minor league games, but I didn't make any this year. I don't live in Chattanooga, but I've caught a couple of games there and we visit the city often on weekends.

I actually have a pile of old baseball and other sports cards (mostly from the 80's) that I want to get rid of. Do you know of any shops that buy small collections?

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I used to collect them, I stopped collecting baseball cards a long time ago.

I have a wrinkled up 56 Yogi Bera, Mark McGwire's Olympic Rookie Card and some others.....

5. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I do. I collect autograph cards in general, the 2008 Rays, a bunch of players and both 2007 Bowman and 2007 Bowman Chrome master sets, including BDP and BDPP. I'm a member on HI but I am not too regular there much lately, and I also gave up scanning everything I get.

I have way more hockey cards than any other tho.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I used to be a fairly big collector till Steroids destroyed every card/item made in the last 30+ years.

Now i won't touch it if it's after 1980 and only deal with vintage and graded.

7. wheeljack01

That's awesome! Well I don't have anything displayed, but I do keep my baseballs in a cabinet which looks nice, but you can only see the ones on the front. I keep all my 8x10s in a binder as well as my cards. I do a lot of team sets(minor league), and they look great in those new ultra pro binders. I usually don't buy autographed cards(usually get them in person), unless it is a company issued, packed pulled auto. Ebay just has way way too many fakes out there to be buying off of. Tenebrouser, if I remember correctly you have had some Oakland stuff on your profile, or am I mistaken? Oakland and the Angels are pretty much the only teams I really don't have any autos or met any of the players from. Well I do have some Scott Sizemore stuff from his Tigers days. Just because most of their minor league teams are in the west coast, though next year if Michael Choice plays in the Midwest league I may go watch him in Bowling Green. Cool hearing you collect, do you have pics of your collection. I collect rookies as well, but only if they are PSA'ed. The best one I own is a 1960 Topps Yaz PSA6, which I love. I would love to hear more about your collection and maybe we can even help each other on graphs someday.

Oh man small world! We got to get together and go to a Gwinett, Rome, or Chattanooga game sometime. I usually hit all three in the summer. There is a sports card place in Gwinnett supposedly close to the stadium, but I don't know where. I will say if it is stuff from the late 80's or 90's you won't get anything. All that is virtually worthless. If you have an 89 upper deck Griffey RC that's good, or if you have any of the 92 bowman hot cards, 93 Jeter rookies, 94 Arod rookies you can get something though.

8. wheeljack01

I agree about the vintage, I feel the same way, though I do have some graded stuff past 80 like 89 UD griffey, jeter rookies, and some Arod rookies. What is your best PSA rookie? Mine would be my 60 YAZ psa 6.

9. rayzrbackcustom

rayzrbackcustom Active Member

I have a couple of Mantle autographs, one on the 1969 Topps error card, along with a Berra ball and a Ted Williams ball. Also have a Federov hockey puck and a Marino card. I was there for all of the signatures.

10. Tenebrouser

All the Oakland memorabilia I have is personally autographed stuff from when they were good. Giambi signed a ball, as did Randy Velarde, Eric Chavez and Miguel Tejada. David Justice signed a hat for me.

Generally, I collect autos from the top stars of today and in the past. I've got three each from Pujols and A-Rod, Jeter, a couple from Braun, Nolan Ryan, Griffey, and on and on. Most are certified cards, and I do have a ball display, but it's not yet full. I'll have to take a picture when I get a chance of my display cases.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I have a 55 Clemente rookie but it's a 1

Al Kaline rookie that's a 4

my 56 Clemente is a beatiful 5

I have a few 50's Mantle that are decent(had a 52 but it was so bad it was close to being worthless)

12. wheeljack01

I am picky when it comes to grading on older cards..I "like" to have at least a six, but when it starts to get to the fifties and massive amounts of $$$$ you have to take what you can get. My yaz is a 6 and it is beautiful so I bet that Clemente is sharp. Clemente still does not get his due...and it is a shame. Ask a teenager who Roberto Clemente is and most will say they don't know. Granted, he didn't have the power and prestige of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron he is still right there with them in my opinion. I would love to see some pics sometime of your collection. What did you do with the 52?

13. wheeljack01

I know my friends got Chavez when he came through Hunstville back in the day and said he was a great signer, Giambi is still good from what I have heard. Justice is not in the public as much as he used to be but when he is(braves alumni) he still signs. So did you meet Pujols and Griffey? I have heard horror stories about them. I saw pujols in person at spring training ignore every body that yelled at him, there were kids crying ten feet away from him after he streched and he still ignored them. What is funny was I was probaby sixty feet away and I could hear the kids perfect. I think he is a tremendous ball player and a surefire first ballot hall of famer, but as a person he really seems to be an utter jerk. Granted, I do not base this solely on the one time I have seen him, if you are a member of the sportsgraphing boards there is the story of his "paid" signings for charity. You had to pay $250 an item..yep per item and the guy would not switch pens, would be rude to you, and then would smear the item as he handed it back if you did anything that displeased him. Plus, the promoters would not give you money back after he smeared your item. Quiet a shame really for someone who claims to be a devout Christian...so essientially I think he is just kind of a phony in front of the public eye. Not signing autographs at the ball park does NOT make you an evil person, but holding a charity signing for $250 a pop and not accomidating those who are throwing hard earning $$$$ at you, then being a dick to them while ruining their item is a dick move. You are not a machine Albert, just a dick. Rant ended.

14. Tenebrouser

I would say that for most veteran ballplayers, ignoring fans during the regular season is the norm. When they stop to sign, they're usually ambushed and it's hard to walk away without disappointing people, so oftentimes they just don't bother. Younger players definitely make more of an effort because it's a novelty for them still.

When I got Giambi's signature, he only signed for two people (including me) and then walked away. Most of the signings I've seen in person are for a handful of fans and then the players walk away.

During the early 2000's, I'd go to Baltimore games at Camden Yards and the Orioles players NEVER stopped to sign. Not a single player. When I inquired about this, the fans around me pretty much confirmed that Orioles players (including Cal Ripken) make it a point not to bother with it.

So, regarding Albert, given his status in the game, I sort of understand why he wouldn't always want to sign, even though the reasons are probably flimsy. As for the auto smear, I doubt he's ever done that to a kid, but more than likely some adult said or did something that bothered him, like push a kid out of the way or something to get his sig. If I were in his position and took time to sign for somebody, I'd expect to be treated pretty well for making the effort, I guess.

15. wheeljack01

Yeah, but this was a paid signing where he smeared stuff and gave attitude...$250 a pop.

16. Tenebrouser

I bet he was forced to do it by the club. Oh well.

17. wheeljack01

Nope, this was his own charity. Even if it was team forced, $250 in this economy(this happened last year) he should swallow his pride and try to make the people think it was at least worth their while. I understand the no graphs at the ball park thing, it's where they work and have a job to do, but when money is getting slammed down for YOUR charity, you damn well give the people what they paid for. Sorry this just gets me worked up a bit, I saw some of the pics of dual signed items that he smeared just because he was asked to switch a pen, asked to sweetspot, or not sign a ball with a sharpie.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Well, today I got a whole bunch of Nolan Ryan cards, my first new Ryan cards since the 90s when I stopped collecting. My collection (hockey, baseball, football and basketball cards) had been sitting in my grandparents' home since 1999, my uncle found them about a month ago when the house got sold. I thought it had been thrown away! Especially stoked since my 22K gold ProMint Ryan card was still there. Not worth a whole lot, but still cool to have.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I use to collect in the 80s and 90s but lost interest I still have all my cards. I have a Mark McGwire signature.

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I wasted so much money on trading cards back in the 90's. The majority of them are now pretty much worthless.

• Like Like x 1