Any runner/joggers? Shoe question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kung Fu Roo, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

I havent really ran for along time but Ive thought about walking/jogging to build up to a mile then eventually building up to a couple of 5ks a week. I use to swear by new balance from my military days but Im shopping from a local vendor and New balance are limited or my size is out of stock. Well their stock is limited in general.

Any advice on the following shoes? Prices do vary but this is basically their stock in my size minus nikes. Im trying to stay away from nikes..

ASICS Gel-Kayano 26
    ASICS Gel-Contend 5
    ASICS Gel-Venture 7
    ASICS Gel-Pulse 10
    ASICS JOLT 2

New Balance Fresh Foam Zante v4
    New Balance 574

Mizuno WAVE RIDER 22 GTX

Brooks Levitate 2

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm at my phone, so I can't tske the time to reference links atm, but there are different types of running shoes. You listed several types of stabilization there. So each will be different. Did you want neutral? With cushion? With support? Do you superpronate? Overpronate? These are important questions when picking shoes.

I personally use the Hoka One One Clifton for jogging. I turned all my running friends over to Hoka's too :lol . Most other people I know use Brooks, I used Brooks for like 2 years, but the bottoms were being ripped apart after 6 months, I decided to try something different (the Hoka's my new fav). I also used to use Asics, but their quality has gone to shit, I'd avoid them.

I suggest going to an actual running store, not like dicks, but a store that has a foot board that will use the heat of you foot to show you how your stance is and they can point out the best shoe for your stance/gate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drangleic

Drangleic A funerary dirge for humanity

I don't run but have bought many NB in the past. They're very comfortable but don't last. I couldn't even get 6months out of them.

Maybe you are not supposed to get more than that out of a shoe. I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    This is true for running too. I burn through NB Pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    ASICS lasted me about 3 months, Brooks lasted 9 months, Hoka One One's lasted me a year to add to this. NIKE use to last me long, like 1+ year, but I got a bone spur from using them, I guess the shock absorption sucks on it or something :lol .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kung Fu Roo

id want a neutral shoe with cushion but i never really thought about it. going to an actual running store seems to be good advice but there arent any locally. i live in rural australia. ive never heard of hoka, never seen any around here. any thoughts on asian brands like li ning, peak, onemix etc?

7. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The hoka is a newer brand (in the last 10 years), it looks like it's available in Australia? I never heard of those shoes though, sorry.

8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I have OPINIONS about Nike.

Personally, I think those shoes are TERRIBLE. They DO NOT last long. I used to wear the Cortez and Air Max almost exclusively as my 'chill' shoes. Then around 10 years ago the quality just dipped. The shoes would literally fall apart on me after only a few weeks. Stitching would just start unraveling from the shoe.

Funnily enough, a few months ago I bought a pair of Reeboks and they're holding together fairly well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kung Fu Roo

Yeah i had a pair of air max that blew out on me. 150 ozzy dollars down the drain. they were a year old but i barely wore them.. maybe 10 times.., once i started to finally wear them on the regular, the side busted. its what caused me to buy replicas. ill do certain activities in replicas.. lifting, heavy bag but im not running running in them. well i could buy some replica air huarache and just see whats up... but id still want a legit pair of shoes for performance and qc concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO **CoOL FLeX BrEH!!.!**

Hell Yea!! I remember my dad (R.I.P.) started to realize they were the so-called Gangsta shoes and he literally Threw them away and I ended up getting some Generic Reeboks lol.

@Kung Fu Roo As for Jogging shoes I think you're on the right track with the Asics and the others listed. Best bet is to just try them on in person as see what works for you. I believe last pair of Jogging shoes I got were the Nike Freeruns and they lasted awhile and were comfortable but I knew there are better shoes made for Jogging that aren't Nike. Best of luck bud;) 

EDiT: Speaking of Jogging shoes,I recent got these BLK/Gold '97 AM from a friend and I'll never understand how these are Jogging shoes. They look Dope but comfort is debatable lol.
    IMG_20200123_174856.jpg
    With Flash.
    IMG_20200123_174901.jpg
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I used to run a lot more than I do now, however, I do have experience with all of the brands that you had mentioned, except for Brooks (I couldn't fit into them, as I always found them too narrow).

If you can't find a specialty shoe store, and you're just getting back into running, I suggest reading up on each shoe, and seeing what kind of information you get on each shoe. It would help to find out what kind of running gait you have, but failing that, get your friend/spouse/kid, to film you running as you run away from them in a straight line, and then compare it some videos on line - it's a decent place to start to find out which gait you have (when you run away, run as if you're going for a jog, not running from a bear). You then match the shoe to the gait, more or less, and try them all on whilst wearing a running sock. Find one that's not too tight, and where your big toe isn't banging into the tip of the toebox. You should feel like it's comfortable, not too tight, etc.

I don't know anything about the other brands, but IMO, you get what you pay for. Don't really get picky about "how long they last" - it varies greatly by running style, your weight, the mileage you put on it, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kung Fu Roo

thanks for the advice people. im just going to buy a entry level asics and see where i go. itll be awhile before i build up, no point in buying for a marathon when im just crawling. i nearly bought some adidas boost but since its online i dont want to mess with them. reviews said they can be a 1/2 size small for the solar boosts. in the end money saved bought my wife some old school black on black hi top chucks she digs.. shell be surprised.

thanks .. cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Personally my favorite shoes are from NOBULL, they do offer running varieties; MEN'S RUNNERS

I can't speak from experience with the runners, I use trainers for gym/boxing/etc, but athletically NOBULL far surpass any other brand I have had and so I definitely trust that their running shoes are equally as good.

14. galvatran

galvatran Well-Known Member

There was a poo jogger (yes you read that right) on the news some months ago. Not sure what type of runner he/she was wearing.

15. Kung Fu Roo

i can sympathize. switched over to omad about a month ago. those first two weeks was red alert time. trust me, dont trust a fart.

16. Kung Fu Roo

never heard of no bull. they look like modified yeezys. im sheltered in rural oz.

i use replica jordan 12s for weights, heavy bag. a good flatish shoe imo. the replicas hold up fine in those conditions.

once the spring festival is over, ill order 1-2 pair of replica air Huaraches just to see whats up.. two pairs for roughly 44 USD.. preshipping.

17. DeletedUser_57751

DeletedUser_57751 Well-Known Member

Fila makes a good trail runner