Any filler pieces for Titans Return gun cockpits?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mojom, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

Now I've seen the controversy about the TR line, I've seen complaints about how characters who were never headmasters are now headmasters, worries about the fragility of pulling off a head, etc etc etc... But I myself have been thoroughly enjoying the line.

I like the headmaster gimmick, and how it frees up the head area to be put into other transformation positions. Among others, but this is a thread to talk about one issue I don't like. Those big honking empty spaces on the guns, where one is supposed to put a little headmaster on.

So my question is, are there any third party companies or individuals who make filler pieces to shove onto these empty "cockpit" seats to give the gun some actual bulk and not make it look like a whole pile of important parts are missing? I've tried looking on Shapeways but no cookie so far. Voyager Prime, Megatron, Astrotrain, Trion... What I'd give for their guns to actually look like guns.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Why? It's how you do Targetmaster mode. But seriously Scourge, and Perceptor, are the only ones who don't have a way to hide it. The rest flip over or split apart to hide the targetmaster seat.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

3rd parties should make kits to turn these extra Titanmasters into Targetmasters.

Just take the screw out. Take off the faceplate. And add some gun barrel to their backs.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
  5. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

Not true. Many other examples exist; if Scourge can't hide his, then by that technicality Astrotrain's little gun slotted into his big gun also counts. Alpha Trion, the recent Voyagers Optimus Prime and Megatron, so on and so forth. And what do you mean, Targetmaster mode? All you can do with these headmasters is to make them sit in the gun. There's no way to convert them into some faceless block where you cannot see their heads, let alone the big face backpacks they're carrying.

True, there's some like Chromedome and Weirdwolf who just need a flip over, but I still find that a bit unsatisfying. I'd like to see some actual bulk filling in these empty spaces. Would you really want to sit in a gun being hurtled and fired all over the place by a bigger being?

Bravo! This is the sort of stuff I'm talking about, we need to see more like this!

6. lars573

Very true. Alpha Trion and Optimus's gun seat isn't that obvious. Megatron is one of the ones that you can flip or otherwise obfuscate the seat. And Astrotrain/Sentinel Prime pegging the guns together is their Targetmaster mode.

Watch the rebirth again. Some of the Targetmasters (like Fracas) turn into a gun turret that the larger transformer is just kinds holding in their palm(s) while they shoot and target themselves. Or in Headmasters where they transform into a giant gun arm for the larger bot. So having targetmasters be a partner bot sitting in a gun turret wielded by a larger bot is fine by me.

7. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

Megatron's gun is not one of those flippable/obfuscatable guns. There is no peg on top, and for the life of me I can't figure out what that tiny little peg stub at the back is for. Even so, I find flipping the gun over to be a fairly lazy job, with the exception of Weirdwolf since his gun is so huge and completely masks the seat even from the side view. The "targetmaster mode" of Astrotrain and S.Prime is hardly something I'd consider that, seeing as the huge seat-hole is still noticeable.

A targetmaster turning into a gun to be wielded, is not the same as a robot sitting in a big seat in a gun. What is the purpose of putting a tiny robot to sit inside and crew a bigger gun held by a bigger robot? To be some sort of secondary trigger? "To confer the gun its unique ability"? That second one would be a bad explanation for a cheap gimmick that saves on plastic costs.

8. lars573

So you don't have it then? I do, the little peg in the back is for him to hold it in targetmaster mode. And as for Sentinel Prime/Astrotrain, the gun with the seat has 3 pegs. Meaning you can flip it on it's side.

And yes the titanmasters maning gun positions is mean't as a power up.

9. Mojom

Mojom Well-Known Member

The little 3mm-long peg at the back of Voyager Megatron's sidearm is for him to hold in "targetmaster mode"? Like, upwards, as some sort of badly designed shishkebab?

And I don't think you get the aesthetic and illogical issue that bothers me about these "seat guns". Let's put it this way, there's a burglar smashing in your windows. You have some guns on your table that you were stripping and performing maintenance on last night. Do you pick the one that's complete and ready to use, or do you pick the one that you stopped at the night before and has a gaping hole where the receiver should be? How would holding the gun sideways (or upside-down for that matter) benefit in any way in that scenario? And putting a toy chair in that receiverless hole for a little gnome (suppose you have gnomes around the place) to sit inside, how would that help exactly?

Yes I know it's not really too well-fitting to compare the above to gigantic guns wielded by gigantic robots in a sci-fi setting whose heads turn into tinier robots, but I just want to see these guns filled in and looking like actual guns instead of having that gaping hole where the chair is.

10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Count me in favor of third party Targetmaster oriented Titanmasters. Print them and sell in batches for $15.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I also thought about that, but probably complete replacements would make more sense.

12. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was just thinking that... by the time you make the filler panels, wouldn't it just as easy to make a new gun?