Any doctors in the house?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus Dime, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Optimus Dime

Optimus Dime Transform and Roll Out!

I was just wanting to get some advice. I know people have seen me posting about the heart failure I had almost a year ago. Which caused me to have to have a triple bypass. And has done some other major damage to me. My chest came apart, and laid on nerves which cut into muscle and my nerve ending causing pain like I've never felt in my shoulder. Among other places.

But here is my question/s for you all. And please, all feel free to put in your two cents. I welcome any and all help, thoughts, or information from my TFW Family.

I have noticed as of about a four month ago, I can get sick very easy. To the point I could go days without eating, or even being able to drink water. Which in its own can lay me up in the hospital for days on end. Also, I am having more and more issues. Like out of no place my hip gave out. I went in and was told my muscle in my leg was deteriorating.

Now is this normal? I know my body has became weak from all of the surgeries. Two within three months (Triple Bypass, then having to have my chest rebuilt), which has weakened my immune system greatly. Now take in mind. I am only going to be 35 years old next month. So I am still relatively young for this. Though it does run in my family. But any help, maybe on ways to get my body calmed so I can eat on days my system is weaker. Anything like that.

Thanks much in advance to anyone who puts in their thoughts. And please, no fighting. I will take what all of you say into consideration. So keep it civil everyone!

Best Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Not a dr, but I work in healthcare and I strongly recommend you see one asap. Pain in the body is not normal at any degree and means that something is wrong. What is wrong is uncertain, but those multiple systemic issues really need to be looked at by a professional. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are pretty serious symptoms, even post surgery. See a doctor.

4. Optimus Dime

Oh I have. I am sorry I came off wrong. What I am asking is if anyone knows of something outside of pills that can help. I am a walking pharmacy as is, lol. I am hoping there may be nature herbs or such that can help with the immune issues, and the pain.

Most of the pain is due to the chest cutting into me. I was told I will always be on meds for it now, no way around it. Was hoping someone out there knew of something outside of narcotics. Thanks so much for the fast reply's though, means a lot.

Best Regards,

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    There are a lot of herbs that can help, but in your case its best if you go to a naturopathic doctor if you want that kind of help, because mixing herbs and meds is just like mixing meds and meds and your health is not good enough that you can just go ahead and experiment. Some herbs will interfere with your meds, or the meds will make the herbs ineffective, and some herbs will accelerate the effects of the meds. Online research is helpful...but seriously, explore this avenue by going to a naturopath, and coordinate with your current doctor if you decide to pursue this option.

I use herbs myself, much to the chagrin of my VA doctor who's actually just an intern, but they work with much fewer side effects; but I'm in much better shape than you are, so if something doesn't go right I have far less chance of ending up in the hospital.

--Moony

6. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I don't usually condone recreational drug use (in fact, I never do) but have you considered talking to your doc to see if marijuana will help ease your symptoms?

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second the medical marijuana comment. At this point, with as much damage that's been done to your body, pain management is going to be rather difficult.

Marijuana is only mildly addictive and usually in rare cases, so you don't have to worry about getting hooked and needing a fix like other drugs.

The hip thing is what's throwing me. The chest, I get, but the hip has me stumped. My only guess is that it's weakened due to the lack of food. Is there another way to obtain feeding? Say a tube, perhaps? They're temporary and would certainly help get sustenance into you while you heal. (Which, you will, in time.)

I don't know that I buy the whole thing about chronic pain forever. I mean, it's possible, but I'd try and have more hope than that. It's just that your body is overworked and needs a good solid rest.

I'd definitely check into the medical marijuana thing, though. For now, it might be the only thing to get you over the hump. It'll calm your system, relax you and even increase your appetite. It's known to help calm or eliminate nausea altogether.

8. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't know if it was against T&C to discuss it here, but since everyone else is... yes, as I already did via PM, I echo the medical cannabis suggestions. (Under a doctor's supervision given your chest issues, probably preferable to go the edible route too.)

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You really should be asking a doctor all of these questions and asking what your options are not us on here who are not even in the medical field

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Seriously, never ask people online about medical advice. Just see a doctor.

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally, you're both right, but we did give him an option he hadn't mentioned and probably hadn't thought of. No harm, no foul.

12. Optimus Dime

I am not asking for you to sign me a paper saying I need something. I was asking for helpful insight and ideas. things I may not know about or thought about.. to ask my doctor. I need help with ideas, not saying I want you to be my new doctor, lol. And as for weed. It is legal here in my state. But sadly, it makes me very ill always has.

Best Regards,

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What caused you to need a triple bypass in the first place? Are/were you overweight?

14. Optimus Dime

Major heart issues run in my family. Plus I was under a lot of stress at the time. I had just had to do a second move within a year due to my brother causing issues. Then my brother got himself locked up from being drunk and starting trouble, while I was trying to help him get back to Ohio. And that is just for starters. It was a very crazy time in my life.

I am over weight. Not by a whole lot. But I am Diabetic, which causes a lot of weight gain and loss very fast. I can be 210 one month (which is only 5lbs over what I should be at my height. I am 5-11 and a half), next month 290, then month after 210 again. It's insane. But that we have been working on, by changing my medication up. Finding the one's that are causing the gain and loss and slowly getting them changed or removed.

Also, when I was 22 I fell from a three story roof, and broke my spine. I was taking shingles up the morning after an ice storm. Happened to walk where no one had been yet, which I didn't know. Slipped on black ice and down I went three stories. If not for falling on old shingles and a lot of ice and snow, it would of killed me. I was paralyzed for 6 months. They said I would never walk again. I proved that wrong real fast.

I have a lot of health issues which are genetic also. Which sucks. But it is part of life. It's why I was asking for some thoughts from people here. Maybe get some new ideas to talk to my doctors about.

I have a little girl who is going to be 6 this year. I want to be around to see my Grand-babies born. See my little girl become a woman. I don't want her to lose me as early as I lost my mom and dad.

I know you didn't want my life story. But I am open and honest when it comes to my life. I see it as, if people know my issues, or mistakes maybe they can learn from them, and hopefully I help someone in the long run.

Best Regards,

15. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If pain is the main issue coupled with loss if appetite, I'd recommend consulting your doctor about medicinal marihuana.

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    There are other formulations of medical marijuana than just smoking, vaping, or edibles. There's RSO, as well as stuff like CBD oil made from industrial hemp which is extremely low in THC but high in everything else. I went around to my local dispensaries and one medical dispensaries a few days ago looking for CBD oil, and got some info from them about the different formulations. Ended up buying the oil at an organic grocery - since its made from hemp and only has a trace of THC, its never been illegal and doesn't need a prescription. And its working wonderfully for me as a painkiller and reduction of other nerve problems. You do need to be careful and start with a low dosage, tho, like 1 mg (I know, it should be ml because its a liquid, but for some reason that's the measurement companies use).

But again, talk to your doctor. And also a naturopathic doctor if you can, because they're more likely to be familiar with it and other herbs.

--Moony

17. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    As others have said, it's still worth talking to your doctor about it. They might have an idea of how to counteract the illness with other meds or by a specific delivery method. It can't hurt to ask, right?

That just plain sucks, my friend. My daughter is the same age as yours and most of my fears revolve around not being there for my kids; so I have some idea of how this hits you. You've been dealt a bum hand in life and I know this is small comfort, but you I'm impressed with your attitude in trying to get through it.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, according to the 'internet' the ideal weight for your height is 182 ibs, so you're technically classed as obese. I think that's a problem, but not as big as your massive weight fluctuation which sounds crazy.

As I understand it weight yoyo-ing is very dangerous, and puts massive strain upon your bodys autonomic systems. Because of your health issues you should hitting your ideal weight consistantly. That extra weight you carry (and then put more on, then drop off) is probably the cause of your hip disintegration.

Are you on a calorie controlled diet? If not I reckon you should be, your body seems to have genetic disadvantages already and now weakened after surgery/bypass? Did you actually have a heart attack?

Lastly, I think the marijuana suggestions are an incredibly bad idea. For a normal healthy person a bit of weed is harmless (mostly) but I suspect the cocktail of drugs you're taking plus your overall health make marijuana an extremely dangerous prospect. Run it by your Doctor but I suspect he'll say it'll diminish your long term chances, which considering you want to see your daughter grow up means weed is out.

Hmm. The massive weight fluctuation is crazy. To me (I'm not a doctor btw) it really sounds like you have a thyroid problem. Thyroid issues can be brought on by stress, and a hypoactive thyroid would account for the massive weight gain and the massive weight loss can be attributed to a hyperactive thyroid (it is possible for your thyroid to flip flop between the two).

Keep a symptom diary, write down everything you're going through, weight gain/loss, energy levels, amount (or lack of) sleep.

Symptoms for an underactive thyroid include tiredness, being sensitive to cold, constipation, depression, slow movements and thoughts, muscle aches and weakness, muscle cramps, dry and scaly skin, brittle hair and nails, loss of libido (sex drive), pain, numbness and a tingling sensation in the hand and fingers (carpal tunnel syndrome).

Overactive thyroid symptoms include hyperactivity, mood swings–such as anxiety, irritability and nervousness, difficulty sleeping (insomnia), feeling tired all the time (fatigue), needing to pass stools (faeces) or urine more frequently, excess fats in your stools–which can make them greasy and difficult to flush down the toilet (steatorrhoea), sensitivity to heat and excess sweating, unexplained or unexpected weight loss–despite having an increased appetite (though in a small number of cases, the increase in appetite can lead to weight gain), infertility, loss of interest in sex.

It's a big spread of symptoms and it's unlikely you'd develop them all, but a symptom diary will help Doctors nail down a pattern, if there is one. Get your doctor to test specifically for any thyroid disorder, unless they're looking for it it's easy to misdiagnose and miss. My cousin is dead because of an overactive thyroid, but it was never diagnosed until it was too late.

Anyway, enough from this armchair Doctor, I hope you get better man. I'm 37 this year and starting to look after myself again because I don't want any long term issues like the ones you're suffering from.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  19. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My dad was hit by a car once and died for a few minutes. It crushed his T-12 and he was lucky he could walk again later. The reason I bring it up is because almost 30 years later he's began having nerve problems with his legs and his pain management doctor wants him to get the vertibrate fused with the one above and the one below it. This would apparently give him a hunch after a few years, but reduce the pain and nerve pinching. Just giving you a heads-up.

20. Optimus Dime

Thanks for some of your ideas, and information guys.

It's not really the pain. I am handling that. I went from BIG amounts of dilaudid 4mg every 4 hours, to 7.5 Percocets once every 6 hours. It's more the flip flop of everything else. That is why I was asking about natural herbs that could help. I should of made it clear it is more for my body to heal, and get back to normal then for pain management.

And as for marijuana. One, I can't handle it. Two it makes me very ill. And three with all the other medications I am on it would not bold well for me to mix it with them. So that is completely out of the question. As I said it is completely legal here in Washington. I could go to the pot shop up the road and just buy some if I wanted to go that rout, which I don't.

As for the 182 being normal. That is for a normal average every day Joe/Jane. I have good amount of muscle mass, from years of football, gym, and the roofing/construction I did. For my size, and my height they say about 200-205 is a great and normal weight. It's just how it keeps flip flopping up and down that has me and my doctors baffled.

They have checked my thyroids and done enormous amounts of other tests. No one can seem to find what is making it happen.

And I have had a couple of Heart Attacks since the surgery. But at the time, they told me I was having one. But I did not even know it. I was having a major coughing fit, could not breathe so my girlfriend took me into the ER. They said I was having a heart attack, and my heart was 99% shut down. Yet I felt fine outside of the coughing fit. I had no other symptoms of a heart attack.

Best Regards,