Ant-Man (2015)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by iwasherenotyou, Jul 15, 2012.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was fantastic, simply put. Without a doubt, one of the BEST Marvel movies yet, perhaps number 2. (I find GOTG to be 1, it was just a wonderful film.) Ant-Man could possibly edge it out.

As for the critics saying this is better than the Avengers? They're absolutely right. This is better than both of them combined. No joke.

That's the thing about the MCU...the individual flicks are far more fun than the "let's put 'em all in one big explosion movie" experience you get out of the Avengers. That's not to say the Avengers aren't good, they're great, but movies like Ant-Man? Greater.

This was handled so well and gave me a good, solid reason to respect Paul Rudd. I knew he was funny, but he usually plays a douchebag, but this time? You can't help but fall in love with Scott Lang.

He might be a bit of a doofus in some ways, too cocky in others, too much of a pushover in a lot of ways, but when it comes down to it...he's a GOOD man. He loves his daughter, he cares that his ex-wife is happy, he wants to be on the straight and narrow and now that he's become Ant-Man, you see he wants to do good and is willing to do so.

He goes from down on his luck loser that you feel for, to unprepared hero in training (which is endearing), to Ant-Man...the bad ass he always had hidden inside of him, just waiting to come out. And when he does, Scott delivers.

Tony? A good man, but he hurt a lot of people on his way to the top. He redeemed himself and we love him, but he wasn't always this great guy.

Steve? A man too good, too decent to be realistic. We still aspire to be him, whenever possible.

You get the idea...

But Scott? Yeah, he broke the law, it's true, but it came from a Robin Hood state of mind. It wasn't to be malicious or evil, and he paid his debt to society and he just wanted to provide for his daughter. A person we all can identify with. Then, on top of being a decent man who tries to help others, he becomes the hero we need and he literally saved the world. One down on his luck ex con with a heart of gold, not only paid his debt to society and made himself better, but he just saved humanity. Now THAT's something to aspire to.

I loved the balance, too. They knew it was silly and ridiculous and they poked fun at it, but they also respected it and gave it it's just due. That was one hell of a tightrope walk and they nailed it.

If you don't go see this, you're missing out on an incredible Marvel movie experience and one of the best origin stories I've ever seen. (No, I'm serious.)

And you absolutely MUST stay for the mid-credits and after credits scenes. Neither one can be missed, especially the latter of the two. It sets the stage for something awesome that's coming our way.

Do. Not. Miss. This. Movie.

2. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's incredible that they managed to cover so much of the MCU in this movie - who would have thought Ant Man could be a perfect fucking glue movie AND stand on its own?

They hit the past with early SHIELD (Agent Carter), tie in with HYDRA (Cap 2/Agents of Shield Season 2), shouted out to Avengers, and then set the stage for Cap 3 story wise and end credits scene. Oh hey, we also got to see Black Falcon be pretty awesome too

3. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Did winter soldier happen before avengers 2? When did this movie take place?

4. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Yes it did. Just like in real life.

Ant-Man takes place a short time after Age Of Ultron. Just like in real life.

Going to see this in a few hours time...

5. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    But we'll only get our Black Widow standalone movie in 2099.

Followed by the Howard The Duck,Groot and Deadpool crossover movie the year after.

6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Yeah I liked it, I think I have Marvel fatigue now though, probably why I liked Guardians so much was it strayed from the norm.

I dunno, I think I was underwhelmed? Best part for me was near the end when it got really sci-fi, I wanted more of that trippy shit

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the film yesterday and felt it was a worthy addition to the MCU. Good humour, good characters and amazing special effects - everything you would expect.

But there's one scene I don't understand. Maybe someone can explain it to me:
    Ant-Man derives his heightened strength from the shrinking technology making his body more dense. Therefore, anything that is enlarged will have a less dense structure, right? So why did Thomas the Tank Engine crash through the house wall? At that size, its density would be so low that it would bounce around like a balloon.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    IIRC, this was because
    the toy was sitting on the windowsill at the time.

Doesn't explain how it crushed that car though.

9. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Marvel does it yet again. While Ant Man still isn't my favorite Marvel flick overall (Avengers the first still holds that title for me) it's still a perfectly solid film in its own right. Paul Rudd does an excellent job as Scott Lang. He's an ex-con, yeah, but his heart's in the right place and his desire to see his daughter and make sure she's happy really tugs at the heartstrings.

Michael Douglas does an excellent job as Hank Pym as well. He manages to hit that right mix of brilliant and crazy that makes Hank Pym who he is. Granted, he doesn't hit his wife in this
    because she's not around anymore because she shrunk herself down to sub-atomic size in order to disarm a nuke
    but he isn't exactly on the best terms with his daughter Hope.

Corey Stoll did a great job as Darren Cross
    AKA Yellowjacket.
    He must've had a blast in his role as he hams it up for the first act or so. As the film progresses however he starts to become more and more unstable.
    By the time he dons the Yellowjacket suit and starts frying everyone on board the Helicopter he's on it should be a sure sign that he's clinically insane, but he takes it a step further and goes after Cassie to spite Scott and, by extension, Hank. This was the point where I thought "When Ant Man has to kill him in order to save the day at the end of the film he's going to get what's coming to him." And I was right because he literally imploded.

Other than that, Paxton manages to be a likeable character despite opposing Scott as both a cop and the new husband to his ex-wife, Cassie is adorable, and the trio of Luis, Kurt, and Dave were actually really effective comic relief.

This was good fun, just what I expected from a Marvel flick. Kudos to Marvel studios once again, and may they continue to make excellent Superhero flicks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Ant-Man was great from beginning to end. Starting off with the opening scene and seeing my beloved
    Agent Peggy Carter
    , to the final after credit scenes. The second after-credit scene was good, but I got more of a thrill seeing the first scene. I can't wait to see where that story goes.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Just saw it -- so glad that I didn't wait on this one.

Easily one of the best Marvel Studios movies, to me, and might even be my favorite (but I'll need to see it again, to be sure).

Everyone was great in the movie, but I loved Luis -- I need more Ant-Man movies with more Luis. Paul Rudd was my main draw to the movie, and he was great as Scott -- an "everyman" who happens to be an ex-con, that, uh, speaks to me.

Just great all around.

12. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Ant-Man was wonderful!!!

The comedy was great.I really liked the story. My only gripe would bethat the villain wasn't as fleshed out as some other comic movies.

Overall, a solid 9 out of 10!

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ant-Man fucking rocked. I loved it. I knew this movie was going to be good...hell It's even better than I imagined.

Michael Douglas as Hank Pym stole the show for me. I think they did a great job with Hank being older, a bit more cynical and being pretty darn awesome. I really liked how they did younger Hank Pym in the movie.

Scott Lang was pretty likeable himself. The moments with him and his daughter were sweet. Loved the training montages he was in. His crew was alright, kind of annoying but also kind of cool and useful too.

Loved Hope. I'm starting to get a fetish for girls with bobcutts/bangs now. :p  she was cute and I thought the moments with her and her dad were great. Seriously this movie is like the perfect father/daughter movie to bound over.
    The fact she's going to become Wasp is awesome.

Yellowjacket was a good antagonist. Not really original but Corey Stoll played him brilliantly. In a weird ironic sense Cross was more like Ultron than the Ultron we got. Extra Points for actually personally threatening a child. He was such a douche and the way he used those lambs....I think he's one of the better villains in the MCU. He accomplishes what he needed to.

Falcon showing up was such a pleasant surprise. I managed to avoid this spoiler and i'm glad I was able to. Falcon is awesome so seeing him get more screentime is great.

I really liked the fighting in the movie, it was like DBZ but with shrinking. I also loved how they utilized the skills of the different species of Ants. I felt like I learned some cool things about them here.

That post credit stinger. That made me go OMG.
    BUUUCKY!

Seriously Payton Reed pretty much salvaged this movie and I'm glad he was able to. I'm happy with what we end up getting.

HELL YES!

14. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think she also said
    "wall crawling"

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I liked it far better than I was expecting to.

While I think it was legitimate to wonder why Marvel/Disney would scale back instead of going bigger and bigger like most franchises it really felt like a great idea to not go we have to top the action of Avengers 2. Hopefully it does well enough at the box office that other studios will copy the idea of scaling back to give their fans a break instead of bombarding them to no end.

16. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Honestly it's films Like Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel will come in to be more independent, then say Spiderman, Inhumans and Black Panther.

Most likely a huge chunk of movies as well for the 2021-2028 timeline.

17. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Just came back and wow it was so much better than I expected. Marvel can pretty much make a Howard the Duck, Squirrel Girl and a movie about a random left tennis shoe and they'll be blockbusters at this point.

18. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is it worth seeing in 3D? I'm gonna go see it in a couple of hours

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits: