Another Possible Botcon Figure? - Tigatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Aug 14, 2006.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Well, at present, we're looking at about 10 (5 in the boxset, Megatron, 2 Divebomb repaints, Waspinator, and Tigatron. This of course assumes that everything we've seen is indeed intended for Botcon, and not for the club). 10 is certainly less than 12 (Not 13 or 14. There were 7 in the boxset, Flamewar, 2 Virulent Clones, Ratchet and Flareup).

Having said that, I do think that Brian missed the point of those who suggested that there should be fewer toys this year. Part of the reason folks wanted to not have to buy so many is because the cost is so high. The 5 in the boxset are close enough to the same price as the 7 in last year's set as to be very little difference in cost ($15), and actually is a fair bit more per item than last year. Even assuming the prices for the other exclusives are comparable, we're still having to buy the same amount there (there were 5 this year, and 5 last year, although 2 were absolutely identical, which should stand for something).

So, all in all, it's pretty much the same cost problem as it was last year. I'm not so sure Brian understood our concerns on this one.

Of course, the fact that this year's exclusives are much cooler than last year's may also be worth noting....

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    For reference:
    Box set (Dezaeas, Chromia, Ricochet, Ironhide, Dirge, Buzzclaw) - Prereg
    Flamewar (Free attendee figure) - Prereg (free)
    Ratchet & Flareup - Extra (paid for separately)
    Virulent Clones - Extra (paid for separately)
    LOC Ramjet - Hasbro freebie
    13 exclusive figures in all at Botcon, but only 7 in the prereg cost (plus 1 if you attend). Ramjet was free to all attendees (1 a day too, so I ended up with 3!), and the 2 packs were available separately.

Compared to this year (based on Kicky's info, but the numbers will most likely be the same whichever way round the figures are):
    Box set (Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Rhinox, Rattrap, Dinobot) - Prereg
    Tigatron (Free attendee figure) - Prereg (free)
    Megatron & Waspinator - Extra (paid for separately)
    2 Divebombs - Extra (paid for separately)
    No word on any Hasbro exclusive of any sort yet (if at all).
    Total: 10 figures, 5 in the prereg cost (plus 1 if you attend).

OK, fact & figures over; now the rest of the post. ;) 
    I don't see Brian lowering the cost for preregistration; as we've seen before, he has a "business model" he uses, and won't substantially deviate from (10 years of conventions in an entirely different fanbase, and all that). The most we can hope for, in which case, is that the sets are as good as they possibly can be. Last year's set looked pretty damn lacklustre before the show, but when I got it in my hands... DAMN. It's beautiful. the presentation, the figures themselves... it's just a REALLY nice set. And this from one of the loudest dissenters last year, as far as the toys go.
    This year's set does seem to have raised the bar somewhat; it's only 5 figures, yes, but consider this there are NO REPAINTS IN THE BOX SET (a big issue to me, and definitely a factor in my decision to prereg), and there are 2 deluxes (Dinobot & Rhinox), as opposed to 1 last year (Ironhide). So I'd say the box set is as good value as last year's. Plus, the figures look a LOT better IMO.
    Remember, you don't have to buy all the exclusives if you don't want to. I didn't last year, and this year I'll probably skip the Divebombs. Megatron & Waspinator, however... oh HELL yes.

3. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Oh, I'm aware of that. I'm not trying to claim "FAKE!" or anything of the sort. Just that I'm fairly excited by the pic, and I don't want to get TOO excited on the off-chance that maybe someone photoshopped it as a *possible* exclusive design that didn't actually get made.

4. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Yep, while the quantity may be basically the same, but the quality probably is better.

However as far as Brian understanding "our concerns"... lots of people say a lot of things, often contradictory, so what should be listened too? Trying to run a profitable business what you need to listen to is the money.

The boxed/bagged sets did not sell out. So Brian's making quite a bit fewer this year (925 total vs. 1250 total). The extra exclusives did sell out. Thus logic and the money say make just as many sets and higher numbers, which is purportedly exactly what they're doing.

People can say they want fewer, cheaper items, but those votes aren't as loud as the votes of the people buying(or not buying) exclusives.

Does it really matter to FP if some people don't want to spend that much money while there are enough people who will to make their products sell out? Why listen to sentiments that contradict a proven money-making method?

Some might say they should, to be "nice" to all the fans, have fewer items at more reasonable prices, like previous Botcons/OTFCCs... but you know what... that went BANKRUPT... it's my contention while it may be "nice" to target ALL fans, it's only fiscally responsible to target fans who can spend $$$.

5. Devil-Gigatron

Devil-Gigatron Destronger Dark Emperor

Like I said, until Botcon and the collector club says something about these figures... and so far nothing but pics not official listing.

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great post. Exactly. From the business standpoint, that's how its gotta work. It's hard to walk the line of 'til all (transfans) are one (able to attend) and til all (bills) are paid (off)' There is no way MC affords to do all the stuff it has planned (and it all looks good be honest) with a 35-40 dollar registration fee.

I can't wait for Botcon (if I can hitch a flight).

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Terrorsaur and Airrazor right? :drunk 

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X It's a hobby. Remember to have some perspective.

News Credits:
    You should carry around a big sign that says "EDGEWISE" at Botcon this year, so that whenever I first see you I can give you a big ol' hug.

In a manly way, of course.

9. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Edgewise,

Most of what you say here, I agree with. I only have a couple of minor points.

On this, I agree. It's about application, though. I'll try to explain.

I could argue that one of the main reasons that the "boxed/bagged" sets didn't sell out is because he tried to put too many of them into the set, thereby making it more expensive. (Whereas the extras did sell out because they were, individually, much cheaper. If admittedly more expensive per toy.) If he'd done, say, 4 toys, but the whole set cost only $150, I would argue that he could sell far more of them. That may not, of course, work as well in reality as in theory. We move on....

It's a bit of a dead horse, but I would argue that, for the Transformers fandom, there is no "proven money-making method" yet. FP's still trying to figure this out. They're starting from the only place that they can reasonably be expected to start from (adapting the GI Joe model), but it is yet to be seen if this is a viable method of Transformers.

See, I'm really not trying to say that FP should be "nice" to the fans here. I am trying to argue in terms of economics. I would argue that, if those box sets from last year never sell, FP has lost money. They would be economically better off to sell them at a discount, and recoup some expenses. It's already clear that this will never happen, but I'm just saying....

If a major obstacle to more fans buying convention sets is the price tag (as I argue it is), FP will make more money by trying to sell fewer toys per set, at a lower overall cost. I may ultimately be proven wrong. However, I would argue that it hasn't been tried yet. (Unless you really want to argue that I'm arguing for 3H's model, which I really don't think I am. I'm not, for instance, trying to argue against packaging the set as part of the convention package, or for some other "a la carte" system. I'm just arguing that the set should be smaller.)

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :throw 

:D 

11. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I have always liked the tigatron character so this would be a great freebie when I pick up my pre-reg stuff.

12. hard core prime

hard core prime lil but cool keep it hard

silverbolt say the hmoe i never new in the agenda pert 1:horse: 

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's almost too bad there's not supposed to be any Beast Mode BC toys for the Beast Wars characters. Cybertron Snarl is just begging for a Silverbolt repaint