Animating the characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by daniel 97, Jul 19, 2014.

1. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As far as I know the guys at Industrial Light & Magic stay behind the astonishing animations of the live action Transformers and I wondered how do they make them look so real? How do they animate the characters, which 3D programs are they using, how are they capable of doing such a great animations? And the movement, the fight scene, how do the robots mimic real movement, like real humans are fighting, are there any clips or behind the scene stuff within the whole special effect, post-production, CGI process?

2. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I saw on TF1 behind the scenes profesionist fighters fight so that those who are making the fights(there was shown the Bumblebee VS Barricade fight) to have an idea to how to make them have such awesome moves as for the animation I don't know,their computer was fried when they made Devastator lol

3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have an article from Popular Mechanics how they made ROTF, it had stunning details which I even never read here on TFW. For example it have brief interview with special choreograph who "create" fights and of course not all elements could be performed by people - professional fighters are just help choreograph and animators roughly imagine how will look on screen they not used motion capture technology (although this is obviously). It also have very interesting details how they animate Transformers in close-ups - every detail on face are moving literally by hand (for example Alice transformation which Michael Bay very appreciated). And the most amazing thing - every Transformer who has a mouth, also has teeth and tongue (that's why I don't amaze when I've saw Grimlock's one) to provide more similarity with human mimic when they speak or express emotions. They so much told how they make Jetfire to crinkle and spit to Sam.:D 

4. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Where did you read this whole stuff?

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    CGSociety - Transformers
    CGSociety - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    CGSociety - Transformers 3

It's also been covered in quite boring detail in various issues of Cinefex.

It takes a lot of talent and a lot of tedious effort. Just look at all those names on the credits. The software they use is most likely Maya, although talented artists could probably achieve similar results using anything from 3ds Max to Blender.

There's numerous examples on youtube of people who've animated transformers as personal projects, so it is possible to produce this stuff if you're driven and dedicated, but the quality does tend to vary quite a bit.

some examples:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  7. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I believe they still use key frame instead of motion capture.

Many of these animation companies have their own software unique to their company, so not sure exactly what they use.

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I don't think the software they use is much different than what companies like mainframe uses. Their robots are just more detailed than robots in a cartoon like Beast Wars