Animated Rodimus Minor Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just got the Japanese figure today. I LOVE the shiny purple paint. It doesn't match any previous Hot Rod that I'm aware of, but it looks too good to care. If you can only get one, my vote goes to the Japanese. But yeah, be sure to check the photos first. I can see people not digging a purple Hot Rod.

2. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely wasn't trying to say "this shit sucks ruined forever!!", I just want people to make an educated choice. Hopefully someone will make an educated choice and trade me straight across. :) 

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    I love it so far, but i wish the exhaust pipes were facing forward G1 style, because honestly i'm not a big fan of the bow.

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    One of the things I love about Animated toys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They can fit some big 'bots into some tiny cars!

Attached Files:

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn!!:eek: 

6. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    once i figured out that getting the hands in just the right place is important to Tf him back easily into car mode hes a breeze either way, great 'toon proportions. an outstanding figure. i'd have prefered a gun to the bow though. nice that everything clicks into place properly, many animated toys werent doing this.

7. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Let’s get one thing out of the way first: This figure’s official name is Rodimus Minor. The character in the Animated cartoon was called Rodimus Prime, though. So why is this figure called ‘Minor’ instead of ‘Prime’? Simple, Hasbro felt there were too many Primes in the Animated series already. Yeah, two really are a lot. Anyway, to me this figure is Rodimus Prime. Live with it.

Robot Mode: There isn’t much you can do to improve the classic Hot Rod / Rodimus look, so the figure stays true to the basics. Car hood with flames on it as chest, arms with the triple exhaust pipes, and a red and orange color scheme. One change is that Rodimus’ lower body does not contain any car parts; the legs simply fold up inside the car chassis in alternate mode. As a result Rodimus’ lower body is very slim, while his upper body looks more powerful, giving him a swimmer’s figure. Not a bad thing, just a departure from the standard.

Apart from the more cartoonish Animated style, the figure doesn’t really differ all that much from other incarnations of the character such as Classics Rodimus for example. One big difference, though, is the weapon. Rodimus wields an Energy Bow instead of a rifle or a Targetmaster in this incarnation. It fits well with his overall image and colors, so no complaints on that front, either. The figure’s posability is also up to current standards, including a ball-jointed head. So to sum it all up: A great incarnation of Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime with no flaws worth mentioning.

Alternate Mode: Rodimus Prime transforms into his old Hot Rod vehicle mode, a sleek red sports car. The car holds no resemblance to any existing model as far as I know, but it clearly emphasizes speed. No robot parts are visible here (except from underneath) and everything folds together quite well without much in the way of visible seams. Only the rear is a tiny bit open, but that’s not a big thing.

Rodimus’ weapon can be mounted on top of the car, giving it fire power and (if you’re so inclined) wings of sorts. This weapon fits a lot more smoothly than the Targetmaster did on G1 Hot Rod, so no complaints on that front, either. An all-around good and solid vehicle mode.

Remarks: Rodimus Prime appeared in but a single episode of the Animated cartoon, the third season opener “Transwarped”. He led Team Athenia, consisting of Brawn, Red Alert, Ironhide and Hot Shot, which squared off against the so-called Team Charr, consisting of Strika, Cyclonus, Blackout, Spittor, and Oil Slick. To make a long story short, Rodimus’ team got their skidplates kicked pretty good and were never seen again. The final shot of Rodimus was him being infected with Cosmic Rust at the hands of Oil Slick. The AllSpark Almanac (Vol. 2) hinted at Rodimus having survived and being in recovery, but no more than that.

The figure itself is a very good representation of yet another classic character that was reimagined for Animated. It doesn’t contain any exciting gimmicks or ultra-special features, but it’s a good, solid, flawless Deluxe-class figure of one of my favorite characters of all time. Which is quite enough for me.

Rating: A-

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmm shame Takara Tomy didn't do him as maroon and went with magenta instead, can't think of any good reason why they did that.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Because in hand it is a most beautiful shade of shiny magenta. Mine arrived yesterday and I love him! I would normally go for red, but I really like this color change up for a variation.

10. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    got the hasbro version the other day and damn is he cool. i keep transforming him back and forth. easily one of the coolest, if not THE coolest, tfs ive ever owned

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW, the Takara version looks fantastic... I wasn't going to buy Hot Rod (I know... but he is Hot Rod to me) but this version may just change my mind.

12. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

Finally got my Rodimus thanks to catching TRU.com just right (and thanks to TFW for the constant updating!) - I really like this guy, very satisfying. Makes me sad that it'll probably be the last Animated toy I get. It was probably my favorite TF line since I've been collecting, which was from the early 80's.

I was able to do an easy rig-up of a saw for his other hand. If you have a Lego circular saw piece (they usually come with firefighters, construction or Power Miners kids), all you need to do is cut a small bit out of the handle so the saw can slide onto the edge of the wrist under his hand. The saw fits nicely into the back gap in car mode (doesn't peg in, but props against the sides just fine), and it looks pretty good in robot mode.

Maybe I'll import some of the last ones from Japan - I love my Blackout - but other than that, Rodimus is a fine farewell to one of the greatest toy and cartoon representations of Transformers ever.

Tim
    "toy geek"

13. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys how safe do you think the bow will be for him? Will it cause problems for his hand (cracking, etc.)?

14. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bow is a bit tight for his hand. could crack his thumb after some repeated play. better shave a few plastic off the bow handle. just enough to easily fit but not too much that it'll become loose in his hand.

kajo

15. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I filed it down quite a bit and it fits a bit loosely in his hand. The only hard part is putting the bow in and taking it out of his hand, but at least its not continuous stress anymore.

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

actually, I think thats the accurate color, and the red is the variation.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pictures do not do it justice, it really is beautiful in person :) .

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally found this guy today.

He is superb, and already one of my favorite Animated figures. He also looks great displayed with Arcee.

19. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Takara version actually looks great. What I don't like about it is paint chipping :(  That's why I'm still looking around for the Hasbro version.

[​IMG]

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    got my japness version. damn hes purple.

think i prefer the hasbro version but not bothered enough to get a 2nd one.