Animated Rodimus Minor Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just ordered mine, hope it doesn't take too long. Great figure!

2. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got one in from eBay today (at 4x retail price!). I almost passed on this toy (due to the closest TRU being almost 2 hours away and its ridiculous eBay prices) but I'm glad I didn't. This is essentially a perfect Deluxe. I love the dark red mixed with the bright orange and light translucent blue colors. The alt. mode is sleek and unmistakeably Hot Rod, and the robot mode is also a great new incarnation of the character. If I weren't so biased in favor of Lockdown, this would be not only my all-time favorite Animated toy, but all-time favorite Deluxe toy as well. If you have the means of getting one of these, do so; I personally would rather have this than the Masterpiece version.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Love his red, love the way his joints are perfectly tight. Every toy should have ball jointed ankles and jointed wrists. That is all!

4. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Toys like this and Arcee really raise the question: "Why don't MORE TFs have these things???"

Rodimus Minor is a great TF, in theory. The unquestionable high point is the articulation, which is as good as a TF gets (and frankly as good as EVERY TF should get). But his actual ability to pose is limited greatly by the feet, which SUCK. Why no heel spurs? The most dynamic look I can get out of him is a mild contrapposto; any more than that and he starts to tip back, or his crappy-QC-victim hip joints give out and he falls on his over-long face. Why does this keep happening? My Ironhide's joints are all tight as hell.

The shoulder joints are pretty crap too, and it sounds like I'm not the only one with that problem. The shoulder consists of a black strut connected to a hinge connected to a balljoint connected to a socket with its OWN hinge, and any amount of QC BS can await you in that joint jungle. Mostly the arms just pop off, but mine has more than one jammed hinge, too. I never thought I'd find myself accusing a TF of having TOO MANY joints.

Car mode is alright but it looks pretty doofy the way the rear wheels are so far back they're practically attached to the rear bumper (unfortunately it's necessary for the wheels to wind up on his shoulders).

In the end, Rodimus disappointed me in a way no other Animated figure really has, and I think the biggest part of that is the fact that I know full well the toy does so many things RIGHT but the wretched QC and poor balance just kills it.

5. Soundscream

Soundscream Active Member

Hm I don't agree with you. Rodimus Minor is awesome! I'm not let down a bit.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    This is perfection. Anyone, even hardcore Animated haters, should own this. The character, the cleanliness, the sleekness, and finally a Hot Rod/Rodimus that's maroon. Actual maroon, not dark red. If I had to call him another colour I'd say burgundy, but deffinately maroon before red. And this is the best bow/arrow weapon ever in TF toys.

7. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to if I could find the damn thing. So irritating, I want it so bad!

8. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Wheels at the back of the car isn't goofy. A lot of sports cars have that orientation. Look to the Mini Cooper and innumerable BMW and Benz vehicles. It's not common in the US, but then, the US isn't known for making amazing automobiles.

The frozen ball-joint receptor issue is easily solved if you pop off the arm, then manipulate the receptor using another tool (I just used my finger) instead of forcing pressure on the arm's ball joint spindle (hoping that makes sense).

Also, no heel spurs because of transformation. The feet work as clip-on stabilizers for the car mode. The way the feet angle into that role is also why he's a little unstable. Limits of a transforming toy at $10 ($13?).

Is there a resin proto of Animated Hot Shot in the Alspark Almanac #2? Good reason to buy that thing, if so.

9. sixpointsinspace

News Credits:
    Got mine today woot! Haven't opened yet, but will soon enough.

10. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got him a few days ago ,and he has quickly risen to be the best animated figure.So much ariculation love the look of both modes and the Bow is amazing .I even love it on the vehicle mode.
    Near perfect, only problem i have is very minor the elbows are articulated in such a way that its hard to get it into poses,it can do the poses its just hard to get it into those poses. Probably my Favorite Tf i own.

11. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First of all, a shout out to fellow board member and South Carolinian ersico for hooking me up with Rodimus since I can't easily make it over to my local TRU. This guy is the summation of what Animated was all about. Two very stylish modes that effortlessly switch between the two. His vehicle is a nice Animated take on what is the standard Rodimus vehicle. The robot mode is nicely articulated and can pull of a good range of poses. Of all the Animated TFs I've bought, Rodimus is definitely up there in my top 5.

12. sixpointsinspace

News Credits:
    I agree with most everything here except for people liking the bow. I don't care for it. I wish he had a classics style hot rod gun. Has anyone tried using their G1 Hotrod guns with Animated Rod? I might bring mine home from work tonight to try......

Anywho, otherwise this toy is teh hotness. I haven't bought a toy with such poseability, playability, and satisfaction in both modes in a long time.

13. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    It was the first thing I tried when I got mine home. He can't hold them. :( 

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I transform mine a little differently from the pics that I've seen thus far, I think.

I didn't notice it before but the shoulders could be dropped a lot lower than what I initially had them at. This allows the spoiler in the back to be seen if it's in the reverse transformation scheme.

I do wish there was a way to store the weapon in robot mode. The weapon storage in car mode doesn't seem to work either. The pegs don't seem to want to stay in.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Man, I want this so badly it hurts mah insides...:D 

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could pull out the spoiler backpack a bit and put the bow weapon in there, but it's just held there by gravity.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Animated Autobots don't used guns, they're the working class, and use tools or more basic weaponry.

Besides, you don't get the pun, do you?

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah that's what I've been doing. I was hoping there was an alternative. :( 

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I've also been trying to transform Rodimus with the spoiler rotated, but while it looks great from behind, it's really low and hard to see in robot mode. I think I prefer it "mis-transformed" where it's higher, even with the joint exposed.

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah it is low which is why I dropped the shoulders lower.