Animated Megatron Prototype: MUCH BETTER CLEAR PICS

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Gears, Dec 14, 2007.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Let me try to be witty and score some 'hatin' points...

That Megatron, he looks like some red and grey pinecones with a pencil sharpener glued to it that transformes into robot with a pokemon for a head!

I can make up silly things to compare it to that both show my irrational hatred for something I have yet to see a full episode of *AND* my utter ignorance only dwarfed by the previous group of movie haters. Everything that they said would cause the movie to fail based on prototypes and leaked images was proven utterly wrong in every capacity.

Grow up. It is a cybertronian space ship in quite possibly the most 'GEEWUN' looking robot mode and colorscheme since P-38 megs.

This is exactly what fanbois have been demanding for 23 years and now they got it and they can do nothing but make 'doodoo' comments about how they are so upset with hate they are soiling themselves.

QQ more.

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah I generally agree with you that there's a lot of 'one's gold another's dirt' to the Animated line due to its unique traits (the designs, the chins, the colors, etc, etc).

There's always some (at least closer to) objective considerations for figures though. Like for the Prime we've seen in detail the way his robot features are very open and visible from the back is sort of generally undesirable and would be hard to argue as a good feature. I feel sort of like this Meg's alt mode has more universal problems in being incoherent. Just what is it?
    I love the bot modes of both this and the Prime quite a lot so I'm not a lover or a hater, I'm not feeling devoted to the line but am open to it too so I'm just taking considering each element imo as I see it.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Daddy Want.

4. Optimus62

Optimus62 War For Cybertron!!!!!

I think the alt mode is meh. But the bot mode totally kicks ass. :rock  The bot mode itself justifies buying this in my opinion.

Is it 12/26/2007 yet? Damit! It's not.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Me grow up?! :lol  Dude, you're labelling me with like 10 different extreme things at once. The line I bolded of yours is way worse and more immature than my doo-doo quip. Have I expressed anything implying I'm filled with hate and gonna crap myself over it? You're fishing for something that's not there.

I'm not a 'hater' of the line and find it laughable that no one can say anything positive or negative about something new without being a fanboy or a hater respectively (or as you imply a hater fanboy). Try reading my first post, I say how awesome I think the bot mode is. Don't pidgeon-hole me as an over-the-top hater just because I have some fun in expressing my opinion of a lack of coherence for the alt mode (something various people are obviously seeing too, cybertronian vehicles should presumably still look like something).

Likewise for the wine-opener post. Does Megs' alt mode look just like the wine-opener? No. Does it bear a little bit of resemblance and in so being make the point of the bizzareness and lack of vehiclular or weapon coherence and make people laugh and have fun in doing so? Yes.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's a jet, and I get all that, it's just some of these comments are just... WTF?

Like, it may not be instantly recognizable as any human vehicle, but it's clearly a vehicle with some form of flight capability. It has a Cockpit, nose, wings and jet/turbines. Example, I still don't know if G1 Blurr is a hover car or a full blown jet, but I can tell he's a vehicle of some sort.

Serioesly, it doesn't look crumpled, or like a folded up robot, or poo, it looks like a vehicle that can fly. That's good enough for me considering this is a race of sentient robots who, in Megatron's case, can fly anyway so transforming really isn't all that practical for him.

It's an alien vehicle, therefor to be realistic, it shouldn't look like anything we've ever seen. Megs Alt mode passes as an alien jet.

It's not the hating that's uncalled for, it's good people have opinions. But some of the people here are in there teens/20s even 30s, and the immatuurity of these comments is mind boggling.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    design wise, thats not a good sell. when i transform my TF toy, i expect it to look like something.

i mean, come on, "transform into nothing...and back!". please.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well, it does transform into something, just not a human something. You buy a toy that's based off a character in a show that turns into an alien jet, you better be prepared to play with a toy that turns into an alien jet. Besides, it's not like he keeps this form forever, he does get an earth mode, but for the slim amount of reality the show wants to keep, an alien jet Megs is nessesary. Besides, kids watch the cartoon, they'll know what he is.

The toys take from the show, and the two work together to sell the product, that's what Transformers has been about since day one.

10. nkelsch

Give it 25 episodes of animation... You would be surprised how a character design in a static form can be perceived as better when you have other forms of medium to 'fill in the Blanks'

Many of the movie designs suffer from the same 'incoherent' design, but after 2 hours of detailed animation, toys, simplified toys, Super deformed toys, tons of artwork in 3d and handdrawn, the incoherent things that look bad tot he eye now make sense in our brains.

We have been through this 'problem' with most of the series in one way or another, and most frequently with the megatron character. RID, TM2 and Cybertron megs are all very busy and incoherent but have become easier to understand with the supporting series backing it up.

11. wal2.0

wal2.0 Banned

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

The cartoons don't really have an effect on opinions of figures for me. I understand this would be different for different people, but for me I like and dislike elements of a toy based on the toy's merits: modes, transformation, articulation, colouring, etc. rather than liking a not-as-good toy just because the cartoon character is cool.
    In some cases the cartoon can make a figure seem worse rather than better too, example off the top of my head: cybertron Jetfire: the wussy lame Aussie accent square of the group in the cartoon but a cool figure.

I get what you're saying how this 'ship' (my newest analogy is that it looks like a T.E.C.H. toy that straps on a kid's wrist for missile and dagger action) might make more sense if you see it in action, but its aesthetics for now seem very poorly executed (in alt mode). I don't get how the likes of cybertron Megs could be considered as incoherent until you see the cartoon though. I mean, he's a car. Pretty straightforward. And for movie Megs (that alt mode = same problem imo), maybe if they showed his alt mode clearly for more than 3 seconds in the movie it would've helped the toy's alt mode coherence a bit.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  13. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I wonder if this is final colors. I thought he was dark grey not white eh? It looks awsome. Still looks like he is missing a piece on the back of him . Im sick of people saying the altmode dosent look like anything UHG! Have you ever been to cybertron eh? Looks kinda like a hover tank if anything. Still love it. I would also say he is missing a part on his head. It dosent have the two big horn thingys.

14. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    That is one sweet looking Megs! I want one now!

15. nkelsch

He is a car, except when he is a jet.

If you removed the wheels and saw him flying through space he *could* be a spaceship. You could take the same alt-mode and put it in water and it *could* be a boat.

But we all know he is clearly a car now because we have 52 episodes of other media to fill int he blanks for us... it is so ingrained in our brains it is 'duh, how could he not be a car'

And the 'toy' can't be good if the character design is poor. Most of the real issues people have are with character design, not the toy itself. The Toy is an excellent representation of the character design, the character design has some flaws, many of which clear up when the user's imagination is updated with other influences.

I think RID megatron is the perfect example of a horrible design to a doo-doo toy which redeems itself by having the show to train your brain on how to interpret the toy and then making the design better.

But the other end of this whole discussion, imagine if the space mode 'looked' like something we could easily identify... would the same people be crying 'OMFG RIPOFF, THEY STOLE HIS ALT MODE!?!?!?' Whoa re we to say what an alien space ship 'should' look like. If he started to look like the starship enterprise, I am sure people would be making jokes of 'He looks like a frisbee with two broomsticks on it!'.

The only difference is we have 40 years of shows to establish the star trek aesthetic design of a spaceship in our brains.

I predict that upon watching the actual show and the comics and other things come out, the abstract designs will suddenly not be as abstract as people claim.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No offense, but, I would take that photo down if I were you. It's a scan of a picture in one of the TFCC's magazines, and isn't supposed to be posted up on the web like that.

17. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Ok I took it down thank you for telling me.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    No problem. Thought I would try and warn you before you got in trouble for it. I personaly can't wait for this line, it's too awesome imo not to want.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That pic came from the TF Club newsletter, so it'll probably be taken down. Anyway, that pic is of a "Battle Damage" variant, so the colors may well be darker/different for that version.

20. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Ok, a lot of people on here are thinking about what kids'll say about this alt mode. Now, I'm 16 on the outside, but I'm still a 7-year-old at heart, so I'll tell you what I think.

Most kids (including myself) would just pretend the alt mode is a sort of catch-all mode. I mean, he's Megatron right? The strongest, baddest, COOLest villain! So why couldn't his alt mode just be anything?

Because it doesn't look specifically like a jet, I would just say "That's because it's also a submarine and a land speeder." This increases his value as a TOY, that's the keyword, kids don't look at these as collectibles and neither do I.

So as a 'big kid', I think this guy looks awesome. Plus he's only $20 compared to the recent $40 guys, I think this Megatron is going to be one of his most popular incarnations yet. Just not for NoiseMaze. :D