Anger at lack of plastic crack...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mattress T, Jun 2, 2013.

1. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    But I like buying toys! :( 

2. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Order shit you've been eyeing and on the fence about...

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I usually only do something stupid (i.e. buy something I in a sane mind would never want) if I find nothing after several trips in "hunt mode". Or if I'm looking thru online stores late at night...

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not really angry, very few things incoming in the next two months for me

5. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    How upset? Not at all. There's usually other stores around that I can go to. If not, oh well.....money that's left in my wallet is always a good thing.

Ever do anything stupid? Wtf? Wait a minute....don't tell me you've done or have seen others done something stupid because you can't seem to find a toy in a store? But to answer your question. No.

How do I deal with plastic crack withdrawal? Order something I held off on or, just go home and appreciate the ones I already have.

Honestly for anyone who gets mad at not finding a toy in a store.....you all do realize there's online retailers. Right?

6. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Luckily, I've been immune to this all these years. Fortunately for me I only collect Sunbow G1, MPs and third party upgrades and accessories to these two lines, I'm not a completist, I don't double dip, I don't troop build, I don't buy non-show repaints and I don't tend to own more than a single iteration of a character, only in the cases of where the said character has a MP, of course!

All in all, I prefer quality over quantity, I would rather own two figures I really like than ten figures I kind of like, I'd rather own one $200+ MP figure than own twenty crappy classics figures costing ten dollars each!

I think the price and availabilty of G1 and Masterpieces generally keep's me in check, but recently with how hot the Mp line has become since MP-08, the urges to cave in are becoming stronger, particularly since Prowl and bluestreak's release dates have been postponed!

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Super sentai figuarts are my new second addiction. That's what I've been buying more of most recently.

8. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Well met! I had a point where I was buying TFs I didn't really like just to satisfy that toy-buying withdrawal. I'm glad I was able to conquer that. But I find I enjoy this hobby a lot more ever since I simply took the time to enjoy what I had, and be thankful that I had/have a break between my next "must have" releases.

9. Karis Mahid

Karis Mahid My fiancee is the avatr

I didn't buy any figures for two months and today I went to the comic shop and scored all the figures I had wanted for customs. sure I wanted more. But now I'd rather purchase the cast heads and paints appropriote for the figs. which means more saving and just more projects to work on. I am satisified. I have a girlfriend, a closet full of fabulous clothes, and plenty of movies to watch.

It pays to wait, cuz I am happy with my purchase. But yeah, I suffer from cosmetics withdrawls. I purchased some hot pink lipstick, and wanted a tangerine tone. But I couldn't afford it and started crying.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's rare these days I go out specifically to buy TF, especially a specific figure. I just know the chances of finding them are so low as to not even bother. Nowadays my store purchases are me just checking out the toy section and occasionally finding something unexpected new I might like.

However a month or so ago I did go out to another town where my nearest TRU is and hope that I might find some FoC. But all there was in stock were those disc things and that kinda annoyed me as I knew I'd probably not be back to this store for months.
    I must admit I had to resist the urge to buy just any TF figure so I wouldn't go away emptyhanded, but in the end I left without a purchase, mostly due to me saying to myself 'Well, if you can't be bothered to keep this shit in stock then I'm not giving you my money'.

So between the normal store purchases I just trawl car boot sales for cheap secondhand TF to keep my interest up. Last weekend I picked up TFA Voy Grimlock, BayFormers Voy Starscream and Thundercracker, Bay Voyager Fallen and a couple of Star Wars TF. All in pretty good nick with the Starscream only missing a few bits.

11. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Disappointed sure, but I don't think I've ever been angry that a store didn't have anything I wanted. Only time I ever really settled for a TF just to get a TF was Cyb Sideways. That thankfully turned out to be a score rather then a dust magnet.

There have been some instances where if they didn't have what I wanted I put that money towards Lego or a video game. Most of the time though I just shrug and leave (after having scoured the entire section like a crazy person in the hopes that someone tried hiding what I was seeking :redface2: ).

12. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much withdrawn and detoxed at this point. Only thing retail I've been looking for (when I have to go to the store, not for TFs) is the new kreon microchangers, but no luck on those yet.

I really love that the MP line has been so outstanding that I don't have to care too much about anything retail anymore. Just preorder what I want months in advance and be done with it. The hunt was fun back in '05 or so but I'm sick of it now with the pisspoor stocking/distribution on all things TF related. Thrill of the hunt is long gone for me.

13. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Be more afraid when he walks in, and then over to the chair across the room and sits down, half obscured by shadows staring at you two.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My best advice: don't make special trips to "toy hunt". If you happen to need groceries or something, fine - go down the toy isle and maybe hit a few stores since you're out. Otherwise, whatever you're looking for, if it's really that hard to find, just buy it online and be done. It doesn't add up any other way really (at least for me).

If the problem is that you really just need to buy something for the sake of it, that's really an entirely different topic.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Often it's actually a good thing to not find what I want the moment it comes out, as very often I'll come across it much later on discount.

I'd not been able to find a TFP Voy Dreadwing for ages and then just before Christmas I found one full price but didn't have enough spare cash at that time to buy it and had to leave it on the shelf. I was not a happy bunny as then I didn't see another one out in the wild right away and thought I'd missed my chance. Then a few weeks ago I was noodling around a discount store here and found several Dreadwings for almost half the normal price. If I'd been able to find Dreadwing easily at the beginning of my search when he first came out I'd have now been cursing that I paid full retail for him. It was also lucky that I'd not been able to buy the one I'd seen just before Christmas. I although I really did bitch and moan about it at the time. :p 

So, sometimes the lack of plastic crack is a good thing and saves you money in the long run. Of course at the time you're looking for something and not finding it there's the concern you'll never see one and miss out on it. I don't think I'd often wait so long by choice in the hope it went cheap later if it was right there on the shelf at that moment and I had the spare cash to buy it.
    It's a good thing I held off buying DotM stuff since now I can pick a lot of it up really cheaply.

16. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

How about appreciating what you have? No offense but you are sounding a little spoiled, just so you know.

17. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I work hard to spoil myself, baby!!!!

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    this. I browse stuff at retail, but never have the desire to get anything. :lol 
    Buying online is a calculated event, i.e. just focusing on a couple of TF items that is reasonably priced, or something cheaper that what I can get off Ebay. Basically, I just go to Robotkingdom or Mandarake for my TF needs. :lol 

19. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    That...I...nevermind.