Andrew Griffith will be doing art in Transformers #4

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    It's a fine robot design, but a pretty objectively terrible Transformer design. Nothing about this gives the impression that she turns into anything. Compare that to Aileron-- she's got clear vehicular kibble, you can make out how she could transform and by extension how a toy of her could feasibly be made. This has... wings, I guess? The only thing I can figure is she's a shellformer a la G1 Scourge.

Also what is up with the stuff on her staff?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Toyline Juggler

The comic is getting a decent artist? Thank all that is good. Fantastic news.

As for the design: it could use more kibble. A bit too human in shape. Can probably have used a couple tweaks. Although, I can see it being a beetle or boat shellformer like mentioned before, or bird. I'm hoping it gets a toy or is based on one because she is a near dead ringer for Esmeral, Deathsaurus's wife. A remold into that would be one of the most gloriously obscure characters released.

• Like Like x 1
  3. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is Untitled36.jpg my very quick guess what she transform into..

• Like Like x 7
  4. Nemisispath

Nemisispath Needs a new username

That's a bit of an exaggeration, is it not? Remaining an action oriented franchise isn't a bad thing. Especially when it's a franchise about two factions of giant, transforming death robots who don't get along with each other.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cryptozoologist

Cryptozoologist Proud Beastie

I hope Hasbro or a 3rd party company make figures of all the new figures premiering in this new series sooner than later.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TFanPage101

TFanPage101 Commander Magnus

News Credits:
    The good sister of Thunderblast.
    (The wings remind me of it.)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Christ! And they say I'm the "negative" one.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Hell yeah.
    You mean in terms of the robot mode? Yeah I can see that.
    Kinda. I dunno.
    See but if this isn’t a transformer then neither is Alpha Trion or Elita One. Nondescript transformers aren’t exactly new and still continue to the day. And we don’t even know how she transforms yet if she even does. And it’s called a transformer, it’s in a story about transformers, I think it’s fair to say it’s a transformer.

Yeah I got no clue. Maybe glow sticks? She’s probably a party animal.
    That’d be neat. But hopefully they look cooler than the comic has been looking.
    Hah.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Well I'm certainly not saying I have a problem with anyone else loving IDW comics or agendas being pushed in entertainment. I say let folks like what they want. I'm also always up for discussing different views and I can be friends with people who have very different views than mine as long as they can handle being an adult too if they disagree (something that is unfortunately becoming more and more rare lately). It's just that with comics, or movies, or shows, or games, the people behind it just shove their controversial views at us in our entertainment. Sometimes that's perfectly fine because it is obviously the subject matter so you know what you're getting into, but often it's just divisive and in my opinion not the platform for such things, especially in the case of freakin Transformers.

If you feel they should put all the messages in, you probably agree with them. Imagine how you might feel if you didn't. You might start feeling like you'd rather just be able to enjoy cool stories about alien robots without all that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The thing is, comics have been used as a medium to explore issues since forever. It seems weird to me that in a world where the X-men and Captain America have existed for so lng people seem to act like it's some kind of new thing that's been brought on by a changing political climate. It hasn't. If things like that bother perhaps mainstream comics are not your thing and probably never HAVE been. I also think it's very apparent that people look for political meaning in comics more carefully nowadays in order to complain about them, whereas 10 years ago the same type of stuff would have slipped by unnoticed.

As for "controversial views" in Transformers comics... they don't actually exist. What people seem to relate to as controversial views that appear in Transformers comics are things like gay and transgendered people... exist. A society that weighs the worth of the people on the situation in which they were born into... is bad. Murderous or extremist measures and the oppression of other people... should be stopped. These aren't controversial views.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    True to that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skyfall has barely any alt-mode kibble, save for a cockpit on his back.
    Should he get a pass for looking more like a Gundam?
    [​IMG]

If he gets a pass, why can't this character?

• Like Like x 5
  13. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

I quite like her. She has an Airazor vibe going on, but judging by the small fold out claws on her wings and all her spikes, she likely has a dragon alt. Her stick thing looks pretty useless as a weapon so I’m guessing it’s some sort of healing staff and she’s a medic, but it might just be a rattle and she’s a babysitter.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

I would buy Quackytron so fast.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Loving the art, but not keen on the design itself.

My main issue with it is the wings and the staff. I'm not sure how to explain it, but basically the wings feel a bit too on the nose and I think the staff clashes in terms of design and colors but it may be some plot mcguffin that doesn't "belong" to her, in which case the clash in design would help serve as a visual indication that it's a separate thing of enough importance to have its own design.

Basically, I think her design would be best without the wings. Without the wings, her design has a sort of *bohemian look in the sense which would work especially well if this really is Termagex. It has both an element of elegance to it (the "delicate" bodytype, the lighter colors) and also an element of ruggedness (the spikes, the darker colors).

As mentioned above, the wings also invoke an angel imagery which is too on the nose and doesn't fit into the aesthetics we've seen so far in Transformers (2019). It doesn't work as a beast mode because there's nothing else on her that implies a beast mode and if it's inspired by the culture of one of the alien races that visits Cybertron then it still on the nose.

*socially unconventional (sometimes in an artistic way).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Love the design. The wing interiors are a nice touch. Perfect contrast to Scourge's bat wing style of his wings for his shell too. So it's not like interior design like that is anything new since even G1.

Gives her a really neat kind of priestess vibe or acolyte, makes me curious about her story since they are exploring more of the cybertron culture side. Love the torso plating too.

And TBH, it's not the first time Gundam and Transformers have done that either.
    Gundam's taken cues from transformers, even color palettes to nod characters, why can't transformers. Design influences have gone both ways for a long time now. All the way back since JG1. Heck, the original Jetfire toy itself was a Valkyrie/Veritech fighter from Macross.

Now all of a sudden it's a bad thing because it's a fembot. Huh, funny that.

• Like Like x 3
  18. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    ...how does she look like a gundam? Like....aaaaat all? Skyfall kinda I’ll give you. This lady? No. Just no.

19. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    There’s a 70s comic discussing racism by having Wally West act racist. Speculative fiction is always delving into these things. Fables pushes a strongly right wing ethos yet I’m not really feeling sidelined by it.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One was from 30 years ago and was created in a line that didn’t have alt modes.

The other is a modern representation of a transformer.

Back to the new character thing. I don’t mind new characters. But when we have characters from the 35 year history of Transformers (NOT JUST G1 as someone thought I meant), surely a preexisting character could have been used and modified in her stead? If not, that’s fine. She still looks cool.

In a series that’s had two issues so far, we’ve seen someone transform twice. We also have a brand new character right off the bat (Rubble). Why couldn’t Rubble have been replaced with a random Micromaster who has never had a spotlight or any development? In a new series that is based on a new toy line, why create characters that will probably never get toys? Transformers is a toy line, first and foremost. It always bugs me when we have so many fiction only characters when we have so many others to mine from the past. In the Marvel and Sunbow days they had a limited selection. It took us 30 years to get a Straxus, Scrounge, and many of the Sunbow females. In another 30 years I’ll be 74.. if I’m even alive. :lol 

• Like Like x 1