Andrew Griffith will be doing art in Transformers #4

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG the Holier than thou crowd is already here !

• Like Like x 11
  2. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    I also assume this is Termagax (or perhaps her guard). I’m on board with new characters, and new female characters at that. Design is fine. Let’s see what she transforms into.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I think I saw a design that looked just like this on DeviantArt.

It looks quite out of place if you ask me. let me guess, this pretentious thing is Optimus Prime's new mentor? Very subtle. Nothing against Griffith as an artist, but this design is pretty silly looking.

Just because Nova Prime and Tyrest can pull off the look doesn't mean every OC you create now will look good with it (Mistress of Flame and now this.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

LMAO she looks like a deviantart oc.

• Like Like x 5
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Or, IMO, the best way to design any new TF is to design them as though they were a toy. That's where the creativity and uniqueness of character designs comes from. How boring and generic would Optimus be if he didn't have the front of the truck (or other aspects) as his chest? How awful would it be to be denied Starscream's iconic wings and shoulder... things if they weren't leftover from the toy?

Kibble makes or breaks a TF, it's what separates a good robot design from a bad TF design. Make it work as a toy first, then cheat it a bit into a comic design. I remember how Figueroa's designs were so beloved because he came up with transformation schemes for them. Same with E.J. Sue's. So many cool and distinguishing features became borderline iconic because of the desire to make them functional. Even the TF movies, mostly 07 and Bumblebee, while cheaty as fuck still tried to have as much of the alt mode follow a "scheme" as possible, and place the kibble in unique and interesting ways. (like Ironhide's hood splitting and angling instead of just forming his chest as one solid piece)

Just making a robot and slapping shit on their back does not a TF make. It's why Windblade's design always sucked to me, because her jet mode just ends up on her back, save for the legs which are, well, just two giant robot legs on top of the alt mode. The best TF designs in robot mode are still dominated in some way by their alt mode's features. The more you strip that away the more forgettable and thoughtless they become.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    I dunno. I’m kinda bored with eagles.
    Oh yeah I see that. How about a flying boat? That’d be wild.

7. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Robot looks interesting. The staff looks like a baby's chupa. Fu... I can't remember what that's called in English.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I am all for more femmebots in Transformers. The absolute more then merrier and I applaud creating new female characters or giving actual significant roles to female characters. I'm also usually a fan of Andrew Griffith's arts and designs too.

That being said, this is a really bad design. Generic supermodel figure femmebot with angel wings. The only noticeable vehicle parts on her are her wings, which are only there to make her look like an angel anyway and not to give the impression of a Transformer. Everything else about her is completely basic and generic femmebot design. I've literally never played Overwatch in my life and I still instantly recognised what was being ripped off. That's a pretty bad sign!

Even ignoring the Overwatch thing, we need way less of this and way more character designs like Strongarm, Slash, POTP Cindersaur and Elita-1, Airrazor, Strika, Pyra Magna and Megatronia. Transformers not only needs more female characters, it needs far more diverse looking female characters. If male robots can look like either Bumblebee or Lugnut, the variation between females shouldn't range from Arcee to Chromia exclusively. This kind of annoyed me back in MTMTE too, despite how much I loved it. Alex Milne did some fantastically diverse background female characters from Caminus. However the ones that actually got attention were Nautica, Novastar and Velocity, which all followed the basic femmebot template.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Looking it over a bit more closely, it looks a bit like Mercy from Overwatch. Also no joke, at first I thought those things hanging from her staff were colorful baby socks or something.

I suppose in general the design isn't 'terrible', it's drawn and colored competently, it just mostly looks out of place, and call me cynical but this design practically screams "Mary sue". There's a good chance she won't be, there's also a good chance she'll be written just like the other awful Fembot OC's they insist on shoving into the media. She's kind of got the design down already.

I can't wait for this thread to derail and turn into a shitshow because some users can't deal with hearing criticism (or at least not hearing uniform conformity) in a mature fashion and thus rely solely on insults and ad hominems to make their points, or feel the need to defend the drawing or artists feelings. Andy's a big boy, I'm sure he can take it.

I'm not obligated to immediately love any design just because OMGFEMBOT, so I'll simply be waiting for more before I make more of a solid statement on it. Taking my personal opinion out of it, it's a nice drawing / design, but if the character sucks, I'm gonna say it sucks.

I know there are users who simply can't bear hearing the term "Mary sue" and get genuinely upset when characters like Windblade are rightfully criticized but I call 'em like I see 'em. I'm not going to apologize for being well-versed in how good 'female characters' are written. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 7
  10. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    PACIFIER!

Anyway. Yea, the design isn't horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. weevil

weevil Let's dance!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Looks like chromia\'s model.

12. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    10/10 design. But I'm just putting this out there, she better get a toy, and it better not be a mold reuse. I'm sick of seeing new non-toy characters spring up that never get properly represented in plastic form - even when they're easy mold reuses.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alexander Fedorychev

Alexander Fedorychev TonTon: Revealing All Kingdom Figures Tomorrow!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Old):
    Generic Chromia design?

14. TRUCKvsGUN

TRUCKvsGUN Well-Known Member

Looks like it turns into a pidgeon.  Pidgeotron.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Okay a pigeon I’d be absolutely down for.

16. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    ...The name makes me think of Pidgeot more than anything.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Still couldnt give a single damn about IDW but I'm rather interested in the idea of Overwatch characters as Transformers! Surely its more than just a coincidence. I wonder if Hasbro's toy license for Overwatch paved the way for this design.

• Like Like x 1
  18. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...looks a bit like nero queen with salvia prominon colors:  solus prime?..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube (Old):
    Are all of the important female robots going to just be statues with pointy bits? What is she even supposed to turn into?

Kibble is what makes a Transformer design a Transformer.

EDIT: it's perfectly possible to do this kind of design with kibble, look:

superion.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  20. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    As a character design for some other scifi story, it's pretty good.
    As a character design for Transformers, it's pretty terrible. One of the things that was really annoying in the IDW1 was how most of IDW bots and designs just looked like humans in cosplay.

• Like Like x 5