Am I too old to play with transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Too qik, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Skeletor laughed about it for a week and a half, annoyed Megatron,and got shot in the face.

2. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    No, you are not too old to play with your toys. Here's the thing, you enjoy them how you want to enjoy them as long as you want. Not everyone will get it, not everyone will approve, you are now at an age where you can share that level of enjoyment with whomever you wish, and more importantly, you can keep personal however much you wish. Make sure to explore new things as well, don't just make playing with your toys the foundation of your essence, and you'll be fine to return to enjoying your figures whenever it suits you.

I will caution you that you're nearing an age where you think you have to get rid of your childish things, you think you have to toss it all to move forward in life. It's not true, you only have to shed those things which have lesser meaning to you. Those which you highly prize, which you truly enjoy and hold value in your heart, hang onto those until you're a little older and can reevaluate, otherwise you will wind up spending a lot of money chasing your collection back down. I speak from experience on this one.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been thinking more about this and I have a more thought-out answer.

No, you're not too old to be playing with toys. If anything, it's keeping you centered in a better place than a lot of people. Including some of your fellow fandom members.

Don't put much faith in our opinions or judgments, we have no right to be looking down our noses at anyone, and we pretty much ruin the fun of all of it for each other. You'll notice an uptick in the middle age collectors leaving the fandom/quitting collecting, it's partially community burnout. Not just here, but on other boards and on Facebook. Stay true to yourself, stay happy, don't let us ruin it for you. Don't let anyone ruin it for you. Your joy is yours and no one has the right to steal that from you. No one.

Use the block option, get offline once in a while, talk to fellow collectors in-person/hang out, but do positive things. You'll mostly find negativity online, these days, with a whole bunch of hate behind it. Enjoy what you have, play with them, never let any one of us get in your way. The moment you start to feel the joy get sucked out of the room, leave that room. (It's full of people you wouldn't want to hang out with anyway.)

You found something that brings you joy, embrace it and hold onto it. Share it when possible, if possible, but hold onto it. If your desires change, that's fine, just hold onto your joy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Myself, I get more enjoyment out of displaying my action figures, than I would playing with them. But hey, what you do in your own home is your business. If it's not hurting anyone else, what's the problem.

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I played with my Transformers all the way up to when I turned 30. My friend and I would do massive storylines using our figures. It only became a chore when I had to clean up afterwards and I had a wife and a kid. Now, it's a collection. :) 

And really, how different is that from playing DnD with minis?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    .... define play. I've got a few on my task and I transform and pose them as a sorta stress relieve during work. But do I get down on the floor and play mock battles, doing the voices etc? no.

7. Soundlips

Soundlips Defending Reactivate since 2020 loves Tinfoil Hats

News Credits:
    Hell. No.

Some things never change, and that's a good thing. Just do whatever makes you happy man.

8. Phantformer5533

Phantformer5533 Member

You will become old only when you will decide thus yourself. So stay calm and be happy, man :) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

No. I remember being picked on in HS and to a lesser extent College for still buying Transformers. I just ignored them and went about my business. Didn't stop me from "growing up" and having a job, owning a home and cars. You can be grown up and still embrace your inner youth, because once you give that up, you really are "Old".