Alternity or Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotJazz1, Nov 18, 2012.

1. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is better? Alternity or Binaltech? Im planning to get one but I just want to know which one is better. Oh and whats the difference between the two.

2. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    dont forget Alternators

3. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I like Binaltech better. It is a larger scale (1/24 vs. 1/32).

4. AutobotJazz1

News Credits:
    Well what's the difference between the two???

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Binaltech (and their Alternator counterparts) are all 1:24 scale where the Alternities are 1:32(?) scale, so the Alternity figues are much smaller.

Binaltech are diecast similar to the Alternity, where Alternators are all plastic.

The Alt/BT lineup is much broader compared to the Alternity line with Alt/BTs having 10-15 different molds while the Alternity line is comprised of numerous repaints of only 4 molds (and now 1 remold with the GT series).

If you really want to get into one line or the other, I'd go with Alternator/Binaltechs.

6. Kranix

Kranix Banned

I have all of the binaltech/ alternators and all but 1 of alternity. though there are more BT/Alts and yes they are bigger... i find alternity figures more complex and to have better altmodes. its all up to preference as both are good lines... but alternity sizes right with the new masterpiece figures, yet with a slightly different asthetic, and interiors.

7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Binaltech.
    If you can ask the question which one, shouldn't you know at least the bare minimum about what they are?

8. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

They're both good to me.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Alternators/Binaltech was a toy line that ran from 2003 to 2007 (Alternators)/2008 (Binaltech). Its main characteristics were licensed car alternate modes at a 1:24 scale with detailed interiors (dashboards, seats, engines) that transformed into (initially, at least) "updated" versions of classic G1 characters whose weapons and other accessories double as parts of their alternate modes. Smokescreen as a Subaro Impreza WRX rally car with his mold-mate Silverstreak as the WRC street version, Meister (Jazz) as a Mazda RX-8, Side Swipe as a Dodge Viper, Hound as a Jeep Wrangler, Tracks as a Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and so on.

As the line progressed, redecos/retools of Autobots were released as Decepticons. First those were toys clearly meant as Autobots characters decoed as Decepticon characters instead (Side Swipe's retool with a Sunstreaker head was released as Dead End, Hound's retool with a Trailbreaker head became Swindle), then the Decepticons at least started to get their own heads ("Shockblast" as a Meister retool, "Battle Ravage" as a Tracks retool). Also, odd character choices became more prevalent (the aforementioned Shockwave/blast and a bipedal Ravage with car alternate modes, Grimlock as a Ford Mustang).

Initially, the main difference between Alternators (Hasbro) and Binaltech (Takara) was that the Binaltech versions had parts of their vehicle mode shell made out of diecast metal and their entire vehicle mode painted, whereas the Alternators versions used plastic parts instead of diecast, and usually were unpainted aside from ordinary paint operations. Both versions had rubber tires, however. The Binaltech versions of street models of cars by Japanese manufacturers also had their steering wheels on the right side of the dashboard, while American models and all Alternators versions (except for the initial first-wave production run of Silverstreak) had their steering wheels on the left side of the dashboard.

The Binaltech line also featured variants of toys never released under the Alternators banner (Smokescreen as both #7 and #8 driver versions whereas Alternators only had the #8 version, blue and yellow versions of Tracks whereas Alternators only had the blue version, red and white versions of Meister whereas Alternators only had the white version, police and blue civilian versions of Prowl whereas Alternators only had the police version).

Soon, the lines started to diverge more. Binaltech got an exclusive 2004 retool of Smokescreen ("Smokescreen GT"), toys started to have more and more deco and even minor sculpt differences between Binaltech and Alternators, Windcharger (Alternators) omitted the long gun barrel/drive shaft at the request of Honda "No weapons, please" USA whereas Overdrive (Binaltech) kept the barrel/shaft because Honda "Weapons? Why not?" Japan was okay with it, Alternators got exclusive retools of Tracks and Windcharger as obscure or even completely made up characters (Swerve and Decepticharge, respectively), the Binaltech and Alternators versions of Prowl and Skids featured very different decos... and by that point, both lines were at a point where sales figures weren't exactly stellar.

The Alternators line got a "soft reboot" with a new assortment so Walmart would pick up the line again, while Binaltech got a short-lived sub-line named "Binaltech Asterisk" that consisted entirely of redecos/retools coupled with flimsy female "driver" figures. Both sides got very different versions of Sunstreaker (as a redeco of Dead End). "Alert" (retool of Silverstreak) and "Broadblast" (redeco of Skids) were Binaltech Asterisk-only, whereas Alternators got its own exclusive redecos Ricochet (Silverstreak) and Rollbar (Swindle).

The Binaltech line was then "put on indefinite hiatus", with the next sculpts that were already in the pipeline being released under a new series named "Kiss Players" instead, but now shunning diecast parts in favor of plastic parts like Alternators. Like Binaltech Asterisk before, the Kiss Players toys were also coupled with female "driver" figures that were meant to appeal to the "Moe" fandom. Simply put, they were designed to look underage but still "sexy", although they were officially declared to be of legal age. The promotional artwork was also very... icky.

Anyway, Optimus Prime was released as a Dodge Ram under both Alternators and Kiss Players (named "Convoy") with slightly different decos, whereas Mirage (Alternators), a Ford GT, was released in different colors and with a different head sculpt as "Hot Rodimus" under Kiss Players. Kiss Players got one more big toy, an exclusive retool of Meister ("Autorooper") before the line got dropped by Takara as well. Meanwhile, Alternators got one more exclusive toy, a retool of Prowl (based on the Japanese-only "civilian" variant) named Camshaft, before the line was done as a mass retail line as well.

The remaining Alternators toys were released as exclusives: Nemesis Prime (redeco of Optimus Prime) was available at Hasbro Toy Shop and San Diego Comic-Con 2006, Rumble and Ravage (Honda Civic Si and Jaguar XK), two new sculpts initially intended for mass retail, ended up as Walmart exclusives (although Ravage was released at mass retail in various European countries) and ultimately never came out in Japan, and Rodimus (Hasbro's version of Takara's "Hot Rodimus" retool of Mirage) was available at Hasbro Toy Shop and San Diego Comic-Con 2007.

TakaraTomy, meanwhile, picked up Binaltech again, albeit also as an exclusive line: Black Convoy (their version of Nemesis Prime, now with diecast parts) was available at Wonder Festival 2007 Winter exclusive (and later also at e-Hobby), and "Rijie Electro Disruptor version" (a mostly clear version of Mirage, still without diecast) was an e-Hobby exclusive. After that, TakaraTomy released four more redecos at mass retail again: "Argent Meister" (the Shockblast/Laserwave car shell - with Meister's head - in silver, inspired by Movie Jazz), "Bluestreak" (redeco of Streak/Silverstreak in blue, vaguely inspired by G1 Bluestreak's infamous blue Diaclone version), Arcee (the Decepticharge retool of Windcharger/Overdrive, but with the gun long barrel/drive shaft) and Convoy (different deco compared to both Alternators Optimus Prime and Kiss Player Convoy).

Following that, both Alternators and Binaltech were done for good, and starting in 2009, TakaraTomy released a Japan-only follow-up line in the form of Alternity. The main difference was that the toys were now smaller (roughly 1:32 scale, Deluxe-sized as compared to the more Voyager-sized 1:24 scale Binaltech/Alternators toys) and feature "Takara-only" design aesthetics, which means overcomplicated transformations and fiddly robot modes. Only four sculpts were released: A Nissan GT-R (Convoy), a Nissan Fairlady Z (Megatron), a Suzuki Swift (Bumble/Cliff) and a Mitsuoka Orochi (Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp), although each of them was available in multiple colors, some also as different characters and Bumble/Cliff even with different head sculpts. Later, TakaraTomy released even more redecos (some of them as store exclusives), and currently, further retools are planned under the new "Transformers GT" banner.

Further reading:
    Transformers: Alternators - Transformers Wiki
    Transformers: Alternity - Transformers Wiki

10. AutobotJazz1

News Credits:
    Well, well well. I know what im getting now. Thanks for the Info:) 

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, Alternators/Binaltech had its issues too.

As someone on here put it a while back, the line was basically an oversized, fully-licensed, occasionally hard-to-transform predecessor of what we later got in the form of the Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations/United/Reveal the Shield lineage: Updated remakes of G1 characters with modern toy technology and aesthetics. Also, less fun.

The Ford Mustang sculpt is a nightmare to transform. The Subaru Impreza and the Mazda RX-8 is comparably easy. The Jeep Wrangler has a giant gaping hollow space in his chest, the Chevrolet Corvette Z06, the Dodge Viper and the Honda S2000 have a very limited range of articulation in their legs. I heard the Ford GT is pretty cool, though.

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

By preference I like Binaltech. It defines what I've been looking for in Transformers. However the weight is somewhat unbalanced which makes them a little harder to pose than it's plastic counterpart. I say get both versions. Binaltech for car mode and Alternators for play.

Alternity is like an inverted Binaltech, plastic car parts with diecast robot parts. Rubbing on painted robot parts sometimes chips away the paint. It also just doesn't feel right. It should be the other way around.

13. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Should be worth mentioning that the Binaltech/Alternator head choices were regularly tossed around different figures before they finalized them. IIRC, Tracks was at one point going to be the Viper (Sun/Swipe) mold! There's also a Jazz protoype with as a Porsche and a different transformation than his actual release... Bumblebee was going to be part of the line, but well, VW refused to be associated with "War Toys." (I believe this stance also led to the eventual outcome of TFTM Bee as a Camaro... as well as it being easier for Hasbro to deal with just one big Auto company.)

Another interesting thing to note from the Wiki page... the BT Subaru model was a 1:24 Scale prototype! Gotta say... I wouldn't mind buying a few Alternators in the 1:24 scale. Admittedly... some of the more articulate ones though... as some BTs were great, others were... awkward.

That said... a pro to the Alternity line is that they fit quite nicely with a Classics collection. Another being is they're pretty articulate compared to some of the Binaltechs. Two cons though is that they're mostly a ton of repaints and the characters of Alternity are all the usual suspects... Prime, Megatron, Seekers, Bee, etc.

14. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alternity all the way because the robots modes actually look good.

15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Alternity has only four molds, but most of them are very good, with the Optimus mold being easily my favorite. Siince they're roughly deluxe sized in altmode, they size/scale well with both CHUG and the new MP Sideswipe. (Although the robotmode is a bit too small compared with MP Sideswipe.)

Binaltech/Alternators/Kiss Players have far more molds and far more characters. They can also almost fit (scalewise) with Human Alliance. Some of the mold don't make much sense for the character, but you can always repurpose.

My preference is still with the Alt/BT line. I even prefer it over the new MP Sideswipe. A BT figure in hand is like a modernised masterpiece version of the Character.

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I prefer Alternators.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

Alternators/Binaltech.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I could take a magic time machine back to 2004, I would have collected both. I love my alt collection, but I was a newbie to jp pricing, and was a bit turned off by it. If I had known just how good a toy they were for the price, and where the future of toys was headed, it would have been a no brainer. Now I'm gathering BT scraps up as I can find them in the junkion :lol .

Alts are great toys, BT's are like the definitive versions, imo. I want them all now :)  Someday...

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you want to collect wider selection of moulds and characters, Alts. The price has come down and it's more affordable.

I love Alternity myself though. Convoy mould is a marvel that fits in my hands.