Alternity Megatron prototype

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ultraq, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was my first thought as well. Too bad neither of his colors work for Bludgeon.

Heh I could see this too if they changed his head. Sounds like a good Kitbash to me.

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Generic design with a Megatron head indicates to me that they already have multiple reuses planned for this mold.

If they can't get the realistic car/G1 character thing right, they should just leave it alone.

3. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Seriously, the fusion cannon was canceled? :( 

4. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    I do sorta like it.
    Except the loss of the fusion cannon. Maybe it was not pictured?

5. Chaosbringer

Chaosbringer Casseticon Master

No cannon, no buy :D 

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Looks awesome. Would be cool if he has the cannon, but I dig the swords just as much. Heck, I think I ike the swords better. So... I think I may have to pre-order him and finally put in an order for Convoy!

7. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't think I could find this toy any lamer than the Optimus one, yet here it is...

I mean, in concept I like it - realistic alt modes that transform into robots. That's why I loved the Alt/BT line. But this line is what happens when Takara gets to do things on their own. Everything is Prime/Megs. Actually, we're probably lucky this isn't "Ultimate Convoy" or some crap.

I agree with what another poster said though - very Bludgeon-esque. The swords, the "kilt", and the framed head. I'm still on the fence about this line. If they were cheaper I'd probably go ahead and pick them up, just for the alt modes.

8. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really comment too much about new figures, but this is a fail. No arm cannon, head is too tall and narrow, and the fact that he is a little sports car makes it hard to imagine Megatron as the giant f*#king robot that we all know he is. If this is an indicator of the (potential) Alternity line, I'll be saving myself a lot of money by passing.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    When I saw the concept design I thought "Wow they are finally going to pull off the perfect Megatron head." It's hard to tell, but it looks like that won't be the case, yet again. Most of his head molds end up looking off. I don't understand why they have so much trouble with that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess I'm just weird in that a car just doesn't say Megatron. Just hard to wrap my head around him being something that isn't military related.

The swords are nice and the picture gives the figure a nice samurai feel, but it just doesn't have a very Megatron feel to it.

11. Devastattor

Devastattor Well-Known Member

I didn't like Convoy much and really don't like Megatron. It's a shame too because the concept image seemed to hold a lot of promise. Plus, 50 dollars for these deluxe-sized guys is just too much, no matter how much die cast they cram into them.

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Cool, i like this. It is a departure from the "traditonal" Megatron in the same way Alternity Convoy is; but personally that doesn't bother me much. It isn't claiming to be a G1 reissue.

The figure itself looks really good, well articulated, some nice detailing on the sculpt - the overall design for both Alternitys makes me think of a hybrid BT style with elements of Movie style, so that all works for me. And the swords lend it a weird samurai vibe. Wont be cancelling my HLJ preorder, tho it would be nice if it turns out there is an add-on arm cannon.. even if it's a random extra that can't be stashed in car mode.

13. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    i dont like it. it looks like they took a lot more time with OP. he doesnt look like a megs. the nice 370Z alternate for is cool but i still wouldnt get this unless it was cheap

14. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

That would make a seriously awesome Jazz.

I'm looking at both Alternity toys as "what can I turn them into?" So I don't really care that this one doesn't quite work as Megs, or the other one not really being a good Prime. The gray Prime is what I'll be getting anyway, and if the Megs one comes up silver, I'm happy there too. :) 

15. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Will wait for a Smokescreen repaint/remold.

16. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    Eh, not interested.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Hm..its more Bludgeon than Megatron. I think i will wait for the colored version to say something else about this one.

18. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

I think I'll be sold if the face is purple.

It's too bad that they made Op the GT-R and Megs the 370Z- the R always has had more of a sinister vibe to it. If you've seen a black R34, you know what I mean. I understand the reasoning as Nissan undoubtedly wants to sell the GT-R as the 'hero' car, but still...

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks like a fun toy, but not a Megatron.

20. cypherstorm

cypherstorm Well-Known Member

looks like this is an early version of the figure. I noticed the front leg is transformed different from the back leg. who ever took the picture probably didn't know how to transform him.. or there are details that are not yet finalized. I have a feeling the cannon is still in play, this is just a prototype. I'm not counting out megs till i see a finalized version of him. ARGH I hate waiting